DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

Hmm, I think they'll still do Stoneheart, but like said many months ago I can't see the possibility of more than 2 Sand Snakes existing.

I could see that, but Sand Snakes seem to be everywhere going forward. 

Obara is in the hunting party for Darkstar, so she will probably be there because Gerold Dayne is going to be pivotal.  It's not the show has introduced Balon Swann, or anyone else in the search party, no reason to cut her out.  I don't think they could cut this plot so I don't think they can cut her.

Nymeria is going to be on the Small Council in a role that will need to be filled with Tyrion, Tywin, Littlefinger, Varys, and Kevan out of the picture.  When Cersei returns to her seat as Queen Regent, it is basically going to be Mace Tyrell, who Cersei hates, Pycelle, who Cersei hates, and Nymeria Sand, who could just be the person Cersei puts her idiotic, nonsensical, trust into.

Tyene  is going to be trying to befriend the High Septon who is going to be a big character going forward.  The High Septon can't just talk to himself can he?  He is going to make Cersei Lannister walk through the streets of King's Landing naked, she is not going to let that slide.  We are going to see a lot of him.

Sarella is in Oldtown where Sam is going to spend a significant amount of time.  Sam is going to have to talk to someone while he is there, might as well be her.  I think Sam's going to be the one to figure out how to deal with the Others, and unless they plan on showing him in a room reading alone, I think Sarella is going to be the main person he is going to deal with while he's there.

Elia will be Arianne's companion while she is investigating Aegon.  Arianne is going to be important, and once again she is going to need someone to talk to.  They can't realistically cut this plot either.

In order to tell the rest of the stories going forward they are going to have new characters to explain them.  We don't know anyone so far who could fill the roles of the Sand Snakes. The amount of plot that is going on so far away from where the established characters are they are going to have to add them.  They will probably all be supporting characters, but I think most of them will be there.

There's every chance that huge chunks of book story won't be in the show though. Bronn's whole storyline is changing completely because we've got no Stokeworths... a lot of the Freys don't exist in the show. If you look at the small council in book 5, Cersei, Pycelle and Kevan are the only ones who exist in the show. And Kevan's not been seen since season one. They appear to have forgotten about his son too.

There's every chance that huge chunks of book story won't be in the show though. Bronn's whole storyline is changing completely because we've got no Stokeworths... a lot of the Freys don't exist in the show. If you look at the small council in book 5, Cersei, Pycelle and Kevan are the only ones who exist in the show. And Kevan's not been seen since season one. They appear to have forgotten about his son too.

I agree that big chunks will be left out, but the Sand Snakes seem to be integral in the end game of the entire saga.  By the end of season 5 King's Landing is pretty empty.  Cersei is in jail, Jaime is in the riverlands, and everyone else is either dead or gone.  The Lannisters are going down, and Dorne seems to be the biggest x-factors in their downfall.  They are going to have to populate King's Landing with someone more compelling than Tommen and Mace Tyrell, who nobody knows either.  This season is basically slash and burn farming where they are about to burn down the existing cast and planting seeds for the new cast.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a third trailer up now. With a shot of the Titan of Braavos in it. So either Arya or Sam will be arriving there this year. It looks like they're actually trying to speed through the story - might be smart, being as George got kind of bogged down at around this stage. But it also means that the whole 'Do we follow the book or not?' issue goes away, because they'll run out of book plot before the end of season 5.

If Joff dies in episode 2, and Tywin in 4 or 5, people's expectations for what happens in 9 will be through the roof.

Well, Weiss and/or Benioff said before S3 started that the goal was seven seasons. It was NEVER going to follow the books that closely past a certain point even if the two finished books appeared magically on shelves tomorrow. (Will find source for it after I get home from work,but I remember AV Club reporting it in 2012.)

He can't be Santa.  He's white!

Too soon?

Besides, you can't kill the real Santa:

20081216_ecw_atb.jpg

Too soon?  Everyone knows that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz04BwDgRkI

I hate to say it, but I serioulsly don't think there is going to be another book.  Dude does not look healthy at all.

If GoT catches up to the most recent novel, I honestly believe that GRRM's screenplay approval will serve as the new medium and future novels will mirror what has already happend in the series. 

From some of the vague wording in the season 3 synopsis, it does read like they're going to jump right into Joffrey's death in the 2nd episode. Probably a good idea, after the trauma of the Red Wedding, to remind the casual viewers that, yes, sometimes the bad guys get theirs on this show, too.

Except, if they do it right, you feel bad for wanting him to die, because it's a kid suffering and dying slowly and painfully.

Hell nah, when Joffrey started choking to death I dropped my book, did a Fargo Strut around my reading room, and let out a long Flairish WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and lord did I need that after the Red Wedding AND the so-well-sold Arya fakeout right after the Red Wedding.

I did ever so briefly feel bad for Cersei having to be there and watch her son die and realize she is powerless to do anything about it since, you know, even when you're as shitty a parent as Cersei and your child is as shitty a child as Joffrey that's still A Parent's Worst Nightmare.

But fuck Joffrey, I'm glad he died and I'm glad he died with Margaery's lady bits so close to him and yet so permanently far away.  Joffrey is such a well-written heel I'd be doing a disservice to the character and to GRRM if I didn't enjoy it.  Even if his demise is, if you think closely about it, horrific, and he's only 13.

It's just a shame he never had to find out he was an inbred bastard.

Also I fully realize it's hypocritical to be as all-in as I am on the "Ramsay torturing Theon illustrates the problem with how quickly we embrace bloodlust and accept revenge and retaliation as "justice" because it's so out of control and beyond what Theon "deserves" and hahaha Shame On You Everyone Who Wanted Him To Get His, Be Careful What You Wish For, this is why a just society doesn't let this impulse rule it's system of crime and punishment"

and turn around and give into that same decried impulse by being all "YES YES CHOKE YOU LITTLE SHIT HAHAHA" with regards to Joffrey.

It is inconsistent.  It is a double standard.  It is hypocritical.  I don't care.  I'm a flawed human.

It's not that he becomes a good but, it's that his death is horrific and, psychotic bastard or not, he's still just a kid.

Joffrey is a very tragic figure.  GRRM doesn't veil the notion that good ol Hapsburg Jaw-esque inbreeding is the baseline reason he's a fucking loon and Circe's constant coddling and enabling turns him into a spoiled, sadistic tyrant with the worst sense of entitlement ever who is nowhere near ready to be a king.

His actual and assumed fathers and his grandfather all hate his guts and few people really respect him..

It's just so hard to feel sorry for Joffrey because he's so much of a maniac that you really do feel that he got was was coming to him.  The boy is a bad seed.

Also I fully realize it's hypocritical to be as all-in as I am on the "Ramsay torturing Theon illustrates the problem with how quickly we embrace bloodlust and accept revenge and retaliation as "justice" because it's so out of control and beyond what Theon "deserves" and hahaha Shame On You Everyone Who Wanted Him To Get His, Be Careful What You Wish For, this is why a just society doesn't let this impulse rule it's system of crime and punishment"

and turn around and give into that same decried impulse by being all "YES YES CHOKE YOU LITTLE SHIT HAHAHA" with regards to Joffrey.

It is inconsistent.  It is a double standard.  It is hypocritical.  I don't care.  I'm a flawed human.

Wait, we were supposed to be upset by how badly Theon got treated?  That bitch had it coming.  Had he not let his daddy issues cause him to make massive bone-headed moves, he'd still be fucking wenches all along Robb's path to victory, instead of being a flayed enuich that pisses himself when Ramsay looks at him.

Stop trying to kill the man. Stop.

For real. Why do people keep projecting death on the guy? He's an older dude who is kind of heavy. I'm sure he's getting the best medical care money can buy.

It's going to be veeeeerrrrrry interesting to see how the books and TV shows coexist going forward. Rumblings are that The Winds of Winter is going to be released after season 5...

• Like 1

Well, my problem with that is that that scene never happens in the books.  Melisandra doesn't know that the magic words work, therefore she wouldn't know to use them.  Thoros used them because he was desperate to save his friend, and they happened to work.  Melisandra has no such connection to Jon.  Unless she uses them only because of what she interperated she way in the fire and wants to roll the dice.