DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

Watched the debut and I am so amped for this season. Nothing earth shattering but strong character development and refreshing the audience to where all the main players are currently sitting. I missed this show. 

HBO Go broke last night with everyone on earth hitting the site all at once to replay the season premier episode.

The "all's well in Lannister land" premier episode makes me think that this season will serve to dry the tears of those butt hurt by the Red Wedding.   I exepect them to pull the trigger on Joffrey's assassination this year and fans will rejoice. 

They may hold off until next season to off Tywin and Jon:

I believe the rumor that Jon will survive by becoming a worg.]

and fans will cry again.

Jon cliff hanger won't happen until next season.  There's still a whole book of shit of him as Lord Commander that still needs to happen that won't this season, unless they hit the FF button on the Two rounds of Wildling attacks before the battle of the Wall that Stannis saves their ass from, then all the posturing there.  We're only half-way through ASoS.  Jon's cliffhanger doesn't hit until the end of ADWD.  The interesting thing will be seeing how they handle skipping between AFFC and ADWD since they take place mostly at the same time. 

I would tend to agree given the All Men Must Die slogan for the season, but the timeline is currently only partially through A Storm of Swords.   Jon doesn't get stabbed until A Dance With Dragons and there is all of the A Feast Of Crows material to contend with.

Joffrey is gone next week, from what I hear this season is pretty much balls to the wall from beginning to end.  By the end of the season I think Arya will be in Braavos, Sansa will be in the Vale, and Jon will be Lord Commander.  I have a feeling that Bran will meet the 3-eyed-crow and all of his stuff is going to be fast forwarded in order to get more of the back story so the end makes sense.

Oberyn Martell is fucking bad ass, and his arc is one of my favorite parts of the entire series.

That entire brothel scene was pretty much a perfect intro to Oberyn. 

Also gotta love his epic promo on The Mountain/House Lannister, down to putting his finger under Tyrion's chin, LOOK AT ME WHEN I'M TALKING TO YA style.

Damn the Hound was great in this episode. I loved his thoughts on Arya naming her sword.

The guy playing Oberyn wasn't as bad as I feared. I still picture him as older and more dangerous looking but he'll be fine.

The change in Dario's was kinda bad. Yeah the old guy looked super douchey but that's what Dario is to me. This new guy does not scream badass sell sword to me.

Did anyone notice the revision of the Rhaegar Targaryen/Lyanna Stark story by Rhaegar? He said something to the effect of "my sister's husband fell in love and ran off with another woman". 

Every other narrative in the book (at least that I remember) always portrays the events as Lyanna Stark being kidnapped. 

I think that this was a big hint about the

Jon Snow being a Targaryen

ending.  

Did anyone notice the revision of the Rhaegar Targaryen/Lyanna Stark story by Rhaegar? He said something to the effect of "my sister's husband fell in love and ran off with another woman". 

Every other narrative in the book (at least that I remember) always portrays the events as Lyanna Stark being kidnapped. 

I think that this was a big hint about the

Jon Snow being a Targaryen

ending.  

Yep.  Its very different from the "official story" that was in place during Robert's reign.  Not much chatter from the Unsullied about it that I've noticed, but lots of book readers have mentioned their ears perking up at that.  The books never go that far; nobody challenges that official story directly but people's accounts/memories of Rhaegar are consistently in conflict with Robert's assessment/the official story.  Nobody else ever has a bad thought about Rhaegar (not even Ned) culminating in Jon Connington in ADWD literally being in love with him.  Rhaegar gradually sounds less and less like a kidnapper (and the little we get on Lyanna likewise makes her sound like NOT someone who'd just let herself be kidnapped), and furthermore the story that "Ned slept around and had a bastard" also seems less and less plausible (he also never calls Jon his "son" but always says "he's family, he's my kin, he's of my blood, end of story.")

Maybe they'll have Oberyn bring it up again to hammer home it's importance.

Well in the past we've really only heard what happened through with Rheagar through Robert and he was hardly an objective source there. Now we are getting the Martells perspective on those events. Barring some sort of swerve I think it's obvious who Jon Snows mother is.

I loved the little touch with showing the Kings Guard book and Joffrey bring up Ser Arthur Dayne. Things like that add a richness to the world. If I was an unsullied that scene would prob have sent me to the google machine.