DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

I think I need a cigarette after watching Joffrey die.  [i don't even smoke]

Mini-Robb, Mini-Renly, Mini-Stannis, and Mini-Balon was a marked improvement over the book's dwarf joust skit.

Show delivers on the money shot again

I am old.  Last night when Joffrey got unsolicited names for his sword from the wedding guests, someone said Stormbringer.

Was that in the novel or did someone sneak in a Michael Moorcock homage?  Either way it was pretty awesome.

Taking a look at Twitter, last night was the opposite of the Red Wedding.  When Tywin gets his from Tyrion, there may very well be parties and smart car tippings.

The suggestion of "Stormbringer" was awesome, I would have really marked out if they had said "Mournblade" (for those that don't catch this, it's a Michael Moorcock thing, you wouldn't understand.) ;-)

• Like 2

Yeah I heard it and was like "Nah, they wouldn't reference Elric would they?" but lo and behold they did.

I was terribly geeked as Moorcock is my second favorite S&S author

James

I wonder how close Winds of Winter is to being finished?   Last I heard, it wasn't expected to be done before the end of next year.  I hate reading books simultaneously with the television / screen adoptation, so hopefully it will be out around Christmas of next year.  That way I can read it before Season 5.

• Like 1

I wonder how close Winds of Winter is to being finished?   Last I heard, it wasn't expected to be done before the end of next year.  I hate reading books simultaneously with the television / screen adoptation, so hopefully it will be out around Christmas of next year.  That way I can read it before Season 5.

This is purely speculation, but I think it is fairly close to being finished.  He has already released more preview chapters than he did for Dance with Dragons, and apparently a lot of it was already written.  I also could just be hoping aloud.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Theon/Ramsey shit just doesn't work on TV?  Ramsey doesn't come off as a realistic character, he is just too cartoonish.  I understand that they couldn't just do all of this stuff in Theon's memory, but at least give him some sort of motivation other than pure villainy.

Oberyn sonning Tywin and Cersei was awesome, he gives no fucks.  I love that the show gets to add these little moments.  There was no way to get these characters to interact in the books, but there is no reason not to on the show.

So, what is going to happen with Bronn and Jaime?  I really hope we get a Bronn and Jaime road trip once Tyrion is gone. 

Is that supposed to be Taena?  I thought Taena was supposed to be outrageously good looking, but she looks like generic lady #47. 

Bran's scene was short, but effective.  I think he is going to get to the three-eyed raven by the end of the season, and then we'll get a bunch of backstory through his tree dreams.

So have they called Shireen's skin condition greyscale yet?  Are they going to try to explain that it is significant? 

The wedding was just about perfect, they made his death satisfying, and appropriately mysterious.  From what I can tell no one really knows who killed Joffrey, they just know it isn't Tyrion.

I imagine that Tywin and Margaery will be on the short list of suspects.  

You could even name Cersei as a suspect since placing Tommen on the thrown extends her tenure as Queen Regent, but we all know that Cersei is far too psychotically overprotective of her children and too oblivious to their disasterous character flaws to even consider mudering Joffrey herself for the good of the realm so that a more competant and better respected ruler (like Tommen) could take the throne.. 

The eventual reveal of Olenna and Littlefinger will be great.  Sansa is a better person than I am.  If I were her, I am sure I wouldn't have been able to hide my victory smirk once it dawned on me that Joffrey was gagging his last breath. 

Then again, it would be smarter to at least feign compassion since Cersei would be on the fucking warpath and would lock up anyone she thought was remotely involved in the assassination.

I cannot wait until Joffrey's funeral.  Jamie's zero fucks given will be must watch television.

Oh my God, the Unsullied thread.  I am trying my best not to be a complete jerk and just blurt out what happens to Jon Snow out of spite because that would be a shitty thing to do. 

There are days when i hate the interwebs.

I love that the biggest troll on the board is the biggest bitch about anything that might remotely hint at the most trivial plot point over there. Tyrion knocking off Shae and Tywin in a few episodes will be awesome. And Jon getting a stabbity "death" will rule. So will the R+L=J if that's right. They did reveal Bran's TreeWarging early it seems.

• Like 1

They did reveal Bran, but that is the story that has translated most poorly to the screen.  I feel like they needed to do something cool with him ASAP or people would lose interest.  

Too late.  I usually use the Bran interludes as a chance to grab a beverage or use the bathroom, while anything involving Arya is mandatory viewing.

• Like 2

Dear God.  Supremebve almost got me rambling over in the Unsullied thread about Daenerys and the Prince That Was Promised prophecy in the Lord of Light religion. 

That guy needs to be over here talking about that stuff.

They did reveal Bran, but that is the story that has translated most poorly to the screen.  I feel like they needed to do something cool with him ASAP or people would lose interest.  

Too late.  I usually use the Bran interludes as a chance to grab a beverage or use the bathroom, while anything involving Arya is mandatory viewing.

Bran = Divas match?

Yeah, the whole Bran is the Three-Eyed Raven warning himself via greensight / Daniel's imaginary friend from The Shining, Tony, is actually Daniel from the future talking to himself crap makes my head hurt.

I didn't miss Sansa's endless trips to the godswood, but having Dontos pop up again with the necklace right before the wedding makes things a tad obvious. And without all of her naive fantasizing about him rescuing her, it also made it less convincing to me that she would pick that moment to flee with him.

The show generally improves on the books, but this was one of those moments when not having a zillion pages to go in depth hurts.

Speaking of bad mothers, will it be this tv season when cersei does her naked punishment walk?

No that is going to be the end of next season at least.  They haven't done anything with the new High Septon, there is no one even around to accuse Maergery of fucking, and since Tywin won't die until probably episode 9, she won't be in charge long enough to go crazy this season.  I think next season starts with her 100% in charge and then everything goes starts rolling downhill.  She probably has the most to do between Feast of Crows and Dance of Dragons, so unless they start just making shit up wholesale, they are going to have to take their time with her story.  Her walk of shame is one of my most anticipated scenes, it is just such a perfect humiliation to someone who is as vain and stubborn as Cersei.