DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I've been on the "Tyrion and Sansa end up running shit" train for years.  They're the shrewdest people left who are capable of making this work.  Jon is a great inspirational figurehead for wartime, but he is too naive and idealistic to lead successfully long-term.  And Dany is just too rash and emotional; she will make enemies in a hurry and the thing will fall apart all over again.

The North might have trouble accepting another Lannister in a position of power over them, but if he aces Cersei in the end, I imagine that would go a long way toward currying favor.

I keep hearing people say that they wasted the Dothraki, but their entire purpose is to rush in, destroy the enemies formations and cause as much panic/destruction as humanly possible.  When they describe why the Unsullied are the greatest fighting force in the books, it is that they were able to stand against a huge Dothraki force without breaking.  The Dothraki only strategy is to destroy your strategy.  The Nights King's forces are an unfeeling, unflinching horde, the Dothraki would have been useless against them no matter how they were deployed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

If Dany lives, maybe she goes back to the kingdom she built herself, possibly with Jon. 

I can definitely see an ending where Dany realizes that, while she was born in Westeros with a claim to the throne, Essos is really her home and going back there to finish what she started.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I keep hearing people say that they wasted the Dothraki, but their entire purpose is to rush in, destroy the enemies formations and cause as much panic/destruction as humanly possible.  When they describe why the Unsullied are the greatest fighting force in the books, it is that they were able to stand against a huge Dothraki force without breaking.  The Dothraki only strategy is to destroy your strategy.  The Nights King's forces are an unfeeling, unflinching horde, the Dothraki would have been useless against them no matter how they were deployed.

I don't think they'd be useless if properly armed and deployed at the right time. If they were doomed to die, why even have them out there? Why add to the Night King's army?

Edited by Throat
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, EVA said:

I can definitely see an ending where Dany realizes that, while she was born in Westeros with a claim to the throne, Essos is really her home and going back there to finish what she started.

This is the ending I want to see, but it means Dany having a complete shift in mindset, a mindset built across 8 seasons now, and doing so in a matter of a couple episodes.

There's a lot of ways to end this and the stuff from last night, along with whatever is left in the next few episodes is just way too much for a season with only 6 episodes, not to mention the FINAL season. The stuff from last night and the episodes preceding it would have been better left to last season to make that 10 episodes. This season could have still been 6 episodes, but it could have been all about how the folks at Winterfell get ready for the final battle with Cersei.

Like, if the battle last night happens in the finale last season, I don't think it feels as anticlimactic because there's no "next on Game of Thrones," the previews for the episode itself could paint a very dire scene. You would go in not knowing if these people were going to make it out alive or not because who knows if someone leaves the show in between seasons, who knows if the finale is it for a certain character, and you're left wondering what do those still left do now that they're just down to facing off against Cersei. 

From the moment they announced giving season 7 only 7 episodes and season 8 only 6 episodes it felt like things were going to be far too rushed. Now it's rushed and big battles like this feel anticlimactic as a result.

• Like 1

It's not easy, plotting out an epic story with a cast of thousands. It took GRRM seven years to write A Feast for Crows because he kept junking what he had done and Starting again. The early seasons were great, because Benioff & Weiss had a roadmap to follow and they could embellish the scenery as they saw fit (and adding the "Chaos is a ladder" speech was a work of genius), but most of everything since they passed the books has been a confused, illogical mess. And the fact that plot armour was suddenly introduced was something of a betrayal of the spirit of the story.

• Like 1

Working from a Cliff Notes version of the unfinished book, it's all big moments without as much to fill the spaces in between. Those in-between spaces were where most of my favorite moments of the early seasons were.

• Like 1

Ahaha this shit was terrible. I'm sorry, I don't want to piss anyone off but oh my lordy lord. Ahahaha.

The only thing that annoys me is that Benioff and Weiss are going to coast on this insane mega hit for the rest of their careers that they got handed by a much better writer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

Ahaha this shit was terrible. I'm sorry, I don't want to piss anyone off but oh my lordy lord. Ahahaha.

The only thing that annoys me is that Benioff and Weiss are going to coast on this insane mega hit for the rest of their careers that they got handed by a much better writer.

Benioff previously wrote the reviled X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Weiss' filmography was non-existent. Just a bunch of unproduced screenplays. These guys have been very lucky. I hope their followup white nationalist fantasy show crashes and burns.

• Like 1

Just now, Throat said:

Benioff previously wrote the reviled X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Weiss' filmography was non-existent. Just a bunch of unproduced screenplays. These guys have been very lucky. I hope their followup white nationalist fantasy show crashes and burns.

Wut?

Their next project is Star Wars.

The show is Game of Thrones.  The whole Whitewalker thing was a cool fantasy idea that was mostly spawned from internet theories.  There really isn't much about them in the books at all.   There is no real "Night King" there is a legend of Night's King but at no point is it hinted at that he is alive or bringing darkness.  

This show became widely popular not because of the Whitewalker story line but because of the Game of Thrones.  It's a political drama set in a fantasy world. The heart of the show is the conniving and maneuvering of characters to position themselves as leaders of houses and wardens and ultimately the King of the seven. I'm not trying to minimize the B-plot but that is what it was.  This was always going to come down to Starks and Lannisters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Explains the bit in the premiere where Cersei is giving Bronn orders through Qyburn. 

They've actually never shared a scene together, at least on Game of Thrones. They apparently had a very bad relationship at one point.

1 hour ago, Throat said:

Working from a Cliff Notes version of the unfinished book, it's all big moments without as much to fill the spaces in between. Those in-between spaces were where most of my favorite moments of the early seasons were.

I mean, sure, I get what you people are saying, but almost everyone was tremendously happy with last week's episode which was all in-between spaces.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

They've actually never shared a scene together, at least on Game of Thrones. They apparently had a very bad relationship at one point.

I'd heard but forgotten. Saw some people talking after the finale last season where Bronn and Pod went for a drink while all the other major characters in Kings Landing were together. 

And, hey, you can't completely shit on this episode. If nothing else, Arya in the library was as good a horror movie set piece as you could possibly ask for

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

The episode certainly isn't as perfect as some places want you to think it is. I've also seen some reviews praising the direction in the episode and for pulling off something better than the Battle of the Bastards. That is some shocking praise. I felt so much more tension during the Battle of the Bastards because the whole thing kicks off with the other forgotten Stark boy dying on the battlefield and then Jon runs out ahead of everyone else. You get a lot of clear shots of Jon on the field avoiding horses charging and other enemies taking swipes at him. Then there was the whole scene with the crush. I just don't see how wights Zerging the humans and showing what was basically a mess of browns and oranges on the screen amounted to something better than the Battle of the Bastards. Again, this isn't to say the whole thing was bad, it wasn't, and there were parts that were full of a lot of tension and that stuff was Arya going full John McClain with all of the sneaking and running around, but overall, I think there were better battles.

This might be a wild stab in the dark, but I'd reckon anyone who thought this was better or more dramatic than the Battle of the Bastards has probably got a 4K telly. Whilst anyone who was watching in anything less than 720p might as well not have bothered.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

This might be a wild stab in the dark, but I'd reckon anyone who thought this was better or more dramatic than the Battle of the Bastards has probably got a 4K telly. Whilst anyone who was watching in anything less than 720p might as well not have bothered.

I watched it on a laptop while it has a 1080p monitor my net connection to DirecTV NOW was screwy and I wasn't getting good resolution.  I still loved the episode.  It's one of the few times that it's supposed to be dark and chaotic, but it got the main points across.