DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I have a pretty nice 1080p television and it looked like shit until I scrolled through the different picture modes to get a picture that didn't look like I put vaseline on my eyes.  I had a coworker tell me that he checked to see if he accidentally had it on the standard definition channel because it looked so bad on his television.  I only have one friend who says he didn't notice how bad it looked.  I honestly thought this was one of the visually worst directed episodes of television I've watched in my life.  It was so dark that you couldn't tell what the hell was going on for half of the time.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I mean, sure, I get what you people are saying, but almost everyone was tremendously happy with last week's episode which was all in-between spaces.

Exactly why I loved last week's episode. Though I did see people complaining that nothing happened in it. It was definitely a shift of pace. Nothing wrong with that.

My wife and I rewatched Brienne's knighting scene right before The Long Night because it was such a great scene and we knew we would never want to watch it again if we saw her die horribly in the battle. Too cruel to kill her right after that, but it seemed likely. I'm both relieved and disappointed there were so few significant character deaths. I really didn't want to see any of them die, but more of them should have.

21 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I have a pretty nice 1080p television and it looked like shit until I scrolled through the different picture modes to get a picture that didn't look like I put vaseline on my eyes.  I had a coworker tell me that he checked to see if he accidentally had it on the standard definition channel because it looked so bad on his television.  I only have one friend who says he didn't notice how bad it looked.  I honestly thought this was one of the visually worst directed episodes of television I've watched in my life.  It was so dark that you couldn't tell what the hell was going on for half of the time.  

This show has always appeared dark to me. It's the only thing I watch that I have to adjust the brightness for, and I had to put it higher than ever last night and shut the living room lights off.

That's the thing. For all the people saying to raise the brightness, that makes it look worse. 

And just for reference, I have a 55" tv that's not 240 Hz because I don't like the look of that. I did all of the calibration stuff with one of those discs for that purpose so my settings were fine. And my tv isn't mounted high up, it's just in a corner. I shouldn't have had any problems watching this, but man, it just looked so muddy.

3 hours ago, Throat said:

Benioff previously wrote the reviled X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Weiss' filmography was non-existent. Just a bunch of unproduced screenplays. These guys have been very lucky. I hope their followup white nationalist fantasy show crashes and burns.

I didn't hate this at all, and in fact loved it in the moment, but the show has been a big dumb mess since they outpaced the source material. I still enjoy it, but it needs to be all big dumb action because the political intrigue, dialog, and drama sucks now. And the fan service is out of control. The showrunners are clearly out of their depth.

So yeah, unless we get some kind of big unexpected swerve, it's probably gonna be all downhill from here.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

I watched on the PS4. Looked fine to me.

I said less than 720p. Regular PS4 outputs at 1080p. I was talking about non-HD, so 360 or 240p. 

40 minutes!

EDIT: Kind of sounds like Mass Effect music at the end there. Last couple of minutes, when they're talking about Jorah.

Edited by AxB

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

That's the thing. For all the people saying to raise the brightness, that makes it look worse. 

And just for reference, I have a 55" tv that's not 240 Hz because I don't like the look of that. I did all of the calibration stuff with one of those discs for that purpose so my settings were fine. And my tv isn't mounted high up, it's just in a corner. I shouldn't have had any problems watching this, but man, it just looked so muddy.

If you have HBO NOW go check out the episode again.  I think they may have altered the lighting in the first half of the episode it looks different than when I was watching last night.  I could be wrong but it looks brighter/clearer to me and I did not adjust my TV settings. 

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The show is Game of Thrones.  The whole Whitewalker thing was a cool fantasy idea that was mostly spawned from internet theories.  There really isn't much about them in the books at all.   There is no real "Night King" there is a legend of Night's King but at no point is it hinted at that he is alive or bringing darkness.  

This show became widely popular not because of the Whitewalker story line but because of the Game of Thrones.  It's a political drama set in a fantasy world. The heart of the show is the conniving and maneuvering of characters to position themselves as leaders of houses and wardens and ultimately the King of the seven. I'm not trying to minimize the B-plot but that is what it was.  This was always going to come down to Starks and Lannisters. 

Seems like a contrived excuse for ending the whole White Walker plot midway through the season. Despite the show building to the White Walkers over 7 seasons and starting with the White Walkers from the very beginning. And it's all over and done with in just one episode.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Seems like a contrived excuse for ending the whole White Walker plot midway through the season. Despite the show building to the White Walkers over 7 seasons and starting with the White Walkers from the very beginning. And it's all over and done with in just one episode.

I would have liked it fleshed out more also but don't forget,  Cersei was the big bad in the very first episode as well.  

17 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I would have liked it fleshed out more also but don't forget,  Cersei was the big bad in the very first episode as well.  

Uh, so was Jaime. Your point?

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If you have HBO NOW go check out the episode again.  I think they may have altered the lighting in the first half of the episode it looks different than when I was watching last night.  I could be wrong but it looks brighter/clearer to me and I did not adjust my TV settings. 

I turned my TV on for the first time since yesterday and it was still on HBO and I thought things were brighter and then I thought I was being crazy. Just watched the last half again and it definitely seemed clearer

Just watched the episode. It was bloated and messy. My problem wasn't so much the dimness but the cutting that didn't allow me a fucking second to register what the hell was going on. They'd always show some one you knew's face, then a zombie tackling a person who was NOT the person you just saw. After a while I just tuned out. 

Sam surviving was stupid considering he spent the last 40 minutes wiggling under zombies going "Unnnnh eeeeeek uuuuunnnn eeeeek".

Thank god they slowed it down so Arya could play The Last of Us.

Theon dropping a ton of zombies made me cheer. Same with Friend Zone.

Don't know what the fuck Dany was doing sitting there on the dragon waiting for it to get swarmed.

Loved the stuff with Sansa and Tyrion. 

Maybe the best running gag was Old Spice's pile of bodies growing every time they showed him. 

Really loved some of the 80's Metal Album Cover shots they had of dragons.

So glad the zombies and hopefully Bran's story in general is over. My least favorite part of the series.

Looking forward to all the drinking and fucking that should happen in the next episode. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ivpvideos said:

I turned my TV on for the first time since yesterday and it was still on HBO and I thought things were brighter and then I thought I was being crazy. Just watched the last half again and it definitely seemed clearer

Yeah I think they definitely did something with the lighting I've talked to a few other people now who feel the same.

One of my friends told me tonight that a criticism he keeps reading about this season is

"they aren't making a show about characters, stories, plots, etc. They're making a show of "moments", regardless of how insane or illogical the context/setup of the moment is."

I said, "sounds like Vince's booking." 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1