DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I think the fact that Melisandre came across Thoros in the show and learned about how he resurrected Beric Dondarrion coupled with the fact that she just showed up at The Wall right before Jon Snow's stabbing makes it very possible that she will bring him back to life. Thoros said he never really, truly believed in the Red God and that he was at his lowest point. But he said the old words over the corpse of Dondarrion and he came back to life. You have to think Melisandre is in a similar place with how everything with Stannis went and how she apparently misread all of her visions and is responsible for the death of Shireen. But she can still say the words over Jon Snow's body, and when he comes back to life her faith can be renewed and she will have possibly saved the real Azor Ahai.

Wasn't the mountain dead after the fight and now aliveisn as the vow of silence Farkinmountain?

Yeah I realized this one after the fact. This is the only time we've seen SCIENCE~! resurrect someone so far, and the end result seems pretty similar to blood magic, just with more mobility and sweet new gear.

I don't think the Mountain died of his wounds following the trial by combat against Oberyn but yeah, he is most likely the newest member of the Kingsguard, Ser Silentstein.

I don't think the Mountain died of his wounds following the trial by combat against Oberyn but yeah, he is most likely the newest member of the Kingsguard, Ser Silentstein.

Ser Charlie Brown Of House Outtatown

• Like 2

I'll also accept the Midnight Mountain that Rides.

• Like 1

I'll also accept the Midnight Mountain that Rides.

I have a feeling that if the Hound is alive, and he's going to comeback under a hood as the Yellow Hound. 

• Like 2

Ser Brody o' The Red River.

I call Arya coming back as Ms. Winterfell under a direwolf mask, stabbing the Boltons and posing like...

mramerica_display_image.jpg?1305249878

"Well ya know somethin Mean Gene, I'm never in there alone brother, because I have the millions of Facelessmaniacs with me everywhere I go!  And as far as Loose Roose Bolton goes, brother, when you and Ramsay are on the other side of the Bravosi punishment strap #1, splitting and blistering your skins for a change, dude, you'll know that Winter Is Coming for the two of you, and WHATCHA GONNA DO?  When Ms. Winterfell, the facelessmaniacs, and the power of the old gods, runs WIIIIIIIIIIIIILD ALL OVER YOU?"

• Like 10

"And I know he's cool daddy because I met him in the dungeon!" 

• Like 1

I watched up to episode 5 as it happened and took a few weeks off. I have a problem with consistency, no matter what it is. I get into things and get out of them, but I needed to kill time, so I finished off GoT, since it was becoming harder and harder not to finish.

I was excited as I had ever been at the end of last season. There were so many open storylines like Tyrion/Arya's journeys, Stannis gaining steam, The Lannisters falling apart abd a seemingly World War Westeros upon us. I finished that last episode last year so excited, because I knew big big things were coming.

I can't say I feel the same after this season. There's honestly little to be excited for and little to look forward to for next season.

Various thoughts on characters/storylines:

- Stannis is the biggest fail and waste of time that I've ever seen. They spent so much time on him, rushed through multiple storylines and somehow made me care even less for maybe the least popular character on the show to begin with. All that time just to die like that.

- Stannis' daughters death was one of the most dirty and disgusting moments I've probably ever seen on TV. I'm not complaining or saying they took it too far, I'm just saying I felt that one. That was very soul crushing and just painful.

- I've been confused by the Arya storyline all season long. She makes best friends with the master of disguise, and he blows her off and treats her like nothing. It's like Arya got friendzoned. I thought Arya's clam salesman thing was actually presented as a dream until the last ep. I figured she was making up a story to become "no one". Guess I'm wrong. Is Arya dead or not? I don't know. I understand that some of the magic in storytelling is not spilling all of the beans, but I didn't get it at all.

- Danny's storyline was pretty much botched. She's been the true face and hero of GoT, but she got presented as someone who couldn't win the title in the end and is now back to square one. Her escape on the dragon was cool, but we've been there and done that with the dragons saving the day thing.

- This wasn't Tyrion's best season. He didn't have any really big moments. I guess I'm curious to see where he goes from here, but it feels like a letdown that he went so far to be with Danny and now she's gone.

- Jon Snow reminds me alot of Stannis. He was overpushed and wasn't liked as much for the role he was given. His storyline effectively ends when I think people were starting to warm up to him. Again, like Stannis, it feels like a waste because there's no one to continue his journey. Next to Danny, he's the worst person to kill, because the storyline ended with him. As annoying as Jon Snow has been over the years, it feels like it was for nothing.

- The Knights Watch - This has never been interesting and they got too much time. Glad they're almost gone for good.

- I thought Jamie and Bron were wasted. They should have had more adventures and gotten more time. It was nice to see pimp daddy Bron, but that's it. Not much to go with at this point. They go back and then?

- Since we're on the Lannisters, it's time to talk about Cersei. I will never feel sorry for Cersei, so I hope we aren't trying to do a Cersei babyface run. I thought they rushed through her storyline and it's gonna be hard to see her as a legit threat ever again to anything. Cersei really needed a good face to work off of to make her destruction worth it. Danny would have been perfect. They really messed up by not pushing how much she caused her own demise.

- Tonnen is never going to be anything on this show and is a waste of TV time at this point.

- I have no idea what happened with Marj Tyrell, but this season didn't do her any justice. She was an afterthought by the last ep.

- Sansa/Reek  - Sansa peaked with Littlefinger. I've never really liked Sansa that much. She hasn't been anything special ever. Her rape was honestly nothing. We've seen it happen to so many girls that I can't understand why people got all upset about it. I'm glad to see Reek is kind of back. I don't think he nor Sansa are dead and I'm curious to see where they go.

- Bran - Why was there no Bran? They had plenty of time. He's been a big part of the show so I can't understand why they didn't show him once. It made no sense at all.

- The Martels - I didn't like or buy into this storyline at all. I did like Bron's gf, but not enough for the time given.

- Religious cult leader guy - I waited all season for the reveal that he's faking it, and we never really got it. This guy has a bad side. Let it out. I don't even know his name and I saw him more than any other character. It was an interesting idea that I had trouble buying into it.

Some thoughts in general about the show:

- I'm tired of the - hey lets go on a journey to find ____ storylines. It's overdone and it's old. Wake me up when whoever gets there.

- As stated above, I'm tired of dragons saving the day for Danny. Been there and done that too many times. So much corn. She's done too much to pull the innocent little girl act anymore.

- None of the new characters this year really clicked for me. It's not good because they are going to need new blood for next season and they don't have anything lined up.

- The show peaked last season. No one came out more interesting this season than last season. They've done just about everything you can do.

- They rushed through way too many storylines as stated by everyone. I didn't believe it at first, but I get it now.

I feel like the only thing really left to do at this point is have the Whitewalkers come and wreck everything or have someone come back from the dead. I guess we can also do the Martells vs Boltons vs Danny vs The Lannisters.

I'm not done with the show or giving up, but it's hard to find a lot of positive things to say after this season. There's almost nothing I'm looking forward to for next year and I never felt rewarded for my time. I could totally feel where George just said - Hey, HBO, you figure it out from here - because this season didn't have any of the brillance of the past.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the fact that Melisandre came across Thoros in the show and learned about how he resurrected Beric Dondarrion coupled with the fact that she just showed up at The Wall right before Jon Snow's stabbing makes it very possible that she will bring him back to life. Thoros said he never really, truly believed in the Red God and that he was at his lowest point. But he said the old words over the corpse of Dondarrion and he came back to life. You have to think Melisandre is in a similar place with how everything with Stannis went and how she apparently misread all of her visions and is responsible for the death of Shireen. But she can still say the words over Jon Snow's body, and when he comes back to life her faith can be renewed and she will have possibly saved the real Azor Ahai.

I have read the books and hadn't really thought about it much, but I suspect you're right about this. They obviously tried to set up a "Melisandre realized she misread her visions" deal with the way she left camp and there are some plausible theories on why Jon Snow could be the real Azor Ahai.

- I've been confused by the Arya storyline all season long. She makes best friends with the master of disguise, and he blows her off and treats her like nothing. It's like Arya got friendzoned. I thought Arya's clam salesman thing was actually presented as a dream until the last ep. I figured she was making up a story to become "no one". Guess I'm wrong. Is Arya dead or not? I don't know. I understand that some of the magic in storytelling is not spilling all of the beans, but I didn't get it at all.

He's not supposed to be her friend right now. He's supposed to be training her on how to serve the Many Faced God and become no one. She hasn't exactly been receptive to the whole concept of being no one though so she's had a rough time of it.

They've oddly stretched out Arya's storyline; she's the only main character who still has more not-covered-yet material in the last book. With practically everyone else, the show has caught up with the events of the last book; or even charged ahead into uncharted waters, in a few eyebrow-raising examples. (Without getting near any spoilery specifics, let's just say that the entire Stannis/Ramsey/Sansa/Theon/Brienne section of the plot does NOT even REMOTELY resemble what's going on in the novel.) But for whatever reason, they've put the brakes on Arya, leaving her current storyline lagging way behind almost everything else. Maybe they're leaving some room for next season, in case they need to double-down on Arya scenes in order to fill time while GRRMartin painfully tortoises his way through the next book?

They've oddly stretched out Arya's storyline; she's the only main character who still has more not-covered-yet material in the last book. With practically everyone else, the show has caught up with the events of the last book; or even charged ahead into uncharted waters, in a few eyebrow-raising examples. (Without getting near any spoilery specifics, let's just say that the entire Stannis/Ramsey/Sansa/Theon/Brienne section of the plot does NOT even REMOTELY resemble what's going on in the novel.) But for whatever reason, they've put the brakes on Arya, leaving her current storyline lagging way behind almost everything else. Maybe they're leaving some room for next season, in case they need to double-down on Arya scenes in order to fill time while GRRMartin painfully tortoises his way through the next book?

The writers pretty much explicitly came out and said that the whole Shireen thing was because "well that's what GRR Martin told us is going to happen" which I think is not only pretty cowardly, it's also a shitty thing to do to the book readers who have been really good about not spoiling their TV show.

Arya is a mark.

They are trying to smarten her up to the business.

Jaqen is just a gimmick.  To them, all faces, all names, all identities, are just gimmicks to take on and off.  The guy from season 5 is not the same guy she met back in season 2; they're just using the same face at these respective times to keep things simple for her...and/or perhaps to ultimately drive home this lesson when they "kill" the Jaqen gimmick right before her eyes.  They are all really "No One"; i.e. blank slates that have no "true" personality that might interfere with the work, as happens to Arya.  She passes her first test by convincing that girl to drink from the fountain:  i.e. she can keep kayfabe and protect the business.  She fails the next one -- work the insurance shark -- because she still has a "someone" (Arya Stark) who interferes with living her Clam Cart Girl gimmick.  She goes into business for herself and shoots on Meryn Trant.

She still believes gimmicks like Jaqen are real, thus she can't treat her Arya Stark identity like just another gimmick, so she's not No One and not ready to be No One yet. 

• Like 2

They are in a very difficult position though.  If someone is asking you why you chose to handle Shireen like that (and remember a lot of people lost their shit), I don't know what else they could have done but say "hey, we are loyal to Martin's major plot points"

Kit Harington at Wimbledon, with his new short haircut that he can have now he's not playing Jon Snow any more.

80426.jpg