DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

I am liking this series so far but not as much as the last one although it seems like things are about to kick off big time from now on.

But still, I miss The Hound. 

I miss Tywin Lannister.

God help me, I never thought I'd say it but I even miss Joffrey.

But, most of all, I miss The Hound. 

That's the thing with GRRM - he always makes his redshirt characters interesting and or/cool. Sometimes too much... and he usually kills them when it's clear they have so much more to do and the story will feel their absence.

A couple of times when I was reading Feast, things happened and I wondered how Tywin would react when he heard about them. And then I remembered he wouldn't be reacting to anything ever again.

Say what you will about Joffrey, but he would have had those dudes HEADS!

Great episode this week all around.  The Bronn/Jaime/Sandsnakes fight was dope.  Jaime's smirk when he refused to drop the sword was classic.  I'm also digging his fight style now that he realizes he can use his arm to block.   

Jorah/Tyrion stuff was great as well.  Especially liked Jorah's moment with the slaver.  

I'm starting to get burnt out on Cersei always going over. I feel like I'm watching 2002 RAW or something with the way she never looks weak, she never gets beaten at anything meaningful, and she constantly squashes all of her enemies. I'm sure (I hope atleast) she'll get something especially brutal in the end but man there is a fine line between building someone up to finally get theirs and just constantly beating it over the viewer/readers head that this person is unbeatable and can't be beat so by the time it does happen it just means less or whoever does it inevitably feels unworthy. I thought Grandmother Tyrell might be able to go bitch to bitch with her but she squashed her, her grand daughter (the freaking queen) and her grand son. There is no way that would go down if Cersei was queen. I thought the Queen was going to be the one person that could outsmart her but just a few episodes into being the queen she's being punked out. 

Tywin and Tyrion were the only ones who could really punk Cersei out. Honestly though its building upon the reality that Cersei is damn idiot who doesn't really known how to play the game on the larger level because everything is too damn personal to her. She is outright inviting another civil war and can't seem to wrap her head around it. I don't even feel Grandmother Tyrell was squashed. Its more like she took a count out loss because she could already tell arguing any further was pointless. Ether Cersei understood or didn't give a damn.

Allowing religious nuts to run the streets is maybe the dumbest decision anyone has ever made on this show. Cerise ain't outsmarting anyone.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty evident when Olenna asked, "What, you don't need Tyrell gold, wheat, and troops anymore?" and Cersei looked like she hadn't even thought about that shit.  It's pretty hard to run a kingdom without money, food, or an army.  The Tyrells have more of all those things than anyone in Westeros, and it ain't even close.  The crown is in deep debt.  The biggests food producers are Riverrun, which the Lannisters burned to the ground, and the Reach where the Tyrells are from.  The Lannisters would have been defeated by Stannis if the strength of Highgarden didn't take them by surprise.  If the Tyrells leave, Cersei won't be able to afford to pay, feed, or defend The Red Keep. 

• Like 1

Was anyone else annoyed at the shoddy writing that leads to the exact moment Bronn and Jaime arrive on this days (weeks?) long journey is when the Sand Snakes decide to grab Myrella and when Doran sends his troops to get her?  I really expect more from this show.

• Like 2

Nah. They are just really hit or miss with the off book stuff.

Bron/Jaime in dorne is about 10 times better than Jaime's story in the books.

I couldn't disagree more.  Bronn and Jaime are on a mission that doesn't make one bit of sense.  There is no way that Jaime and especially Bronn would make the decision to go into Dorne and expect to get out alive.  They've created characters that have clear motivations, and this entire plot throws those motivations out of the fucking window.  If Bronn was someone who was willing to throw his life away for nothing, he would have fought for Tyrion.  He would have had a much better chance to beat the Mountian in single combat than to go into Dorne, kidnap a princess, and leave with the entire strength of Dorne chasing them.  Jaime's become a much more honorable character, who doesn't seem like the type of person who would decide to go kidnap a princess.  The biggest problem is that there is no possible way for them to actually acomplish their goal.  They didn't have a plan to either enter or exit Dorne, a place where Aegon Targaryen and his fucking dragons couldn't successfully infultrate.  This is the dumbest part of the show, and I'm not going to even mention the fact that the Sand Snakes have turned into some Saturday afternoon bullshit.

You tend to overstate how "impenetrable" some places are, supreme.

We're sitting here in 2015 with technology and weaponry so advanced it would seem like magic to the people of Westeros, and there is still not a nation in the world that can 100% - and not even close to 100% - account for the security of its borders, and yet you'd have us believe that two people couldn't sneak through Dorne or around Moat Cailin.

Come on, man.

So you're telling me that people with absolutely no knowledge of the terrain of two very remote places would just waltz into these places safely and securely, without being noticed or have any trouble?  Even with all of our 2015 technology could anyone reading this find their way through the bayous or Louisiana or through the Sahara desert?  These places were specifically written to be incredibly dificult to navigate through, and they've decided to have characters have no issue getting through them.  These people don't have any maps, can't stop for directions, or have any experience navigating that type of terrain.  Jaime and Bronn would probably die in the desert.  If they somehow survive, Jaime is most likely the most famous man in Westeros and would be spotted and killed as soon as he entered the Water Gardens.  Brienne and Pod are southerners who have never been anywhere close to the Neck.  Here is how the Neck is describedA dozen streams drain the wetwood, all shallow, silty, and uncharted. I would not even call them rivers. The channels are ever drifting and changing. There are endless sandbars, deadfalls, and tangles of rotting trees. And Greywater Watch moves."  Brienne and Pod would get lost and eaten by aligators.  It isn't that these places are impenetrable, they are just impenetrable to people who clearly have no fucking clue what they're doing.

My thought last night:

"Are Bronn and Jaime trying to Scooby Doo their way into the Water Gardens? This should go swimmingly."

All they needed was the door gag and everything would've been complete.

• Like 1

Like, I know some of this stuff is pulled from the books, but at some point it would be nice if the showrunner found a creative way out of showing characters getting raped.

"The Dwarf lives, until we find a Cock Merchant."

Shame the High Sparrow has arrested them all, amiright?

• Like 4

My thought last night:

"Are Bronn and Jaime trying to Scooby Doo their way into the Water Gardens? This should go swimmingly."

Much like the fight with Barristan and the Second Sons, this was another case of just bad execution.

They just waltzed into that place in broad daylight, walked up to Myrcella in the company of a Dornishman with their lillywhite faces shining, and were like, "Um, hey."

I think even the most desperate father who hadn't thought much of this through beyond his urgent need to rescue his daughter would stop and think, "Hold up. It might be a good idea to at least wait for the cover of nightfall."

• Like 1

My thought last night:

They just waltzed into that place in broad daylight, walked up to Myrcella in the company of a Dornishman with their lillywhite faces shining, and were like, "Um, hey."

Honestly, this would have been a better disguise:

robin-hood-men-in-tights-201005231058438

• Like 6

So I'm curious with all the major changes benign made this season what were the original arcs that the show is no longer following? I'm particularly curious about Jaime, Bronn, Tyrion, & the Sand Snakes.