DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Been rewatching season 4 all day. The ending to episode 8 is still shocking, even after you've seen it. Even if you knew exactly what was going to happen 12 years ago. Still shocking.

I know, I loved that video some guy screaming about Dumbledore getting offed and some girl cussing him out.

WHAT???

Spoiler that shit man!!!!

Sarcasm, that was sarcasm.

I know, I loved that video some guy screaming about Dumbledore getting offed and some girl cussing him out.

WHAT???

Spoiler that shit man!!!!

Sarcasm, that was sarcasm.

No shit, brah.

Sure it is, just don't go looking for them. All though if you hear a strange knock on your door don't open it as it may be The Spoiler Squad coming to pay you a visit.

Cousins of The Spirit Squad?

Been rewatching season 4 all day. The ending to episode 8 is still shocking, even after you've seen it. Even if you knew exactly what was going to happen 12 years ago. Still shocking.

I love The Mountain and The Viper, but The Watchers on the Wall is still best the 50 minutes of television you're ever gonna get. Fuck what anyone else thinks. I watched it last night, and nothing goes harder than Ser Alliser's speech. Nothing.

Sure it is, just don't go looking for them. All though if you hear a strange knock on your door don't open it as it may be The Spoiler Squad coming to pay you a visit.

Cousins of The Spirit Squad?

More akin to The Varsity Club.

I was just about to listen to Grantland's 'Watch the Thrones' podcast with Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan to get me more hyped for tonight but stopped it literally after a few seconds. That Chris Ryan person might be the worst thing ever. I couldn't do it.

...am I missing something?

A third thread opened up for people that watched the leaked half of the season.  Which is significant this season, because there's so much divergence from the books starting last night that the book readers are now in new territory and don't know everything that's coming.  

...am I missing something?

A third thread opened up for people that watched the leaked half of the season.  Which is significant this season, because there's so much divergence from the books starting last night that the book readers are now in new territory and don't know everything that's coming.  

Yeah, I know that. I thought goodhelmet meant I spoiled the first episode based on my reaction to roughly the first 90 seconds of season 5, episode 1. I pay too much for premium cable to pirate the episodes that leaked yesterday.

I think Will was just dropping a blanket warning while he opened a thread specifically for those leaked episodes.

Anyone picks the Unsullied thread to discuss the episodes out there needs to go test hand grenades.

So I have no interest in seeking out these leaked episodes. I'm already regretting that I watched all of Daredevil in 3 days. I need shit to watch. 

I thought last night's premiere was pretty interesting but I've found that most of the characters I was invested in are all dead.  I need some new favorites.  I would also like to see Lady Tyrell get up to something.  I'm thinking she will be gunning for the crown based on what we saw last season but she only had maybe 2 minutes of screen time last night.

It felt like a transition episode more than anything. I was looking forward to what would happen to Mance going in season five just because Ciaran Hinds is beyond brilliant. Then the premiere happens, and he goes out like a sad old man in front of his crew of Wildling flunkies. It's like a great wrestling feud that went one match too long and the last one wasn't as half as good as most of the other matches. However, I guess it goes all into progressing Stannis and his storyline.

It felt like a transition episode more than anything. I was looking forward to what would happen to Mance going in season five just because Ciaran Hinds is beyond brilliant. Then the premiere happens, and he goes out like a sad old man in front of his crew of Wildling flunkies. It's like a great wrestling feud that went one match too long and the last one wasn't as half as good as most of the other matches. However, I guess it goes all into progressing Stannis and his storyline.

So it's the Homicide/Steve Corino of GoT?

I agree, it was an extremely disappointing end for a great character. Despite the fact I should be so so prepared for this show to kill anyone and everyone, I was still secretly hoping at the end "there's got to be some sort of immunity to fire magic or something! Come on!"

Very much a transitional episode, nothing really wrong with it except the flashback scene to open felt heavy handed and unnecessary.

• Like 1

Spoiler free review from a book reader…

I know a lot of you guys liked these from previous seasons, but some of you didn't.  This is spoiler free, but it does reference things from the books that do not happen on the show.

Young Cersei in the woods was almost a directly from the books, but edited to make it a little more tight. This book is the first time we get to read from Cersei’s point of view and we learn that this prophecy is something she thinks about pretty often. The fortune teller is a woman called Maggy the Frog, and instead of being a relatively attractive woman she is described as “squat and warty with crusty yellow eyes, no teeth, and pale green jowls.” They also cut out the part where Cersei’s friend gets her fortune told, which is basically…”No you won’t marry Jaime, and you probably should shut the fuck up about that while this crazy person is standing next to you.” That chick mysteriously fell down a well. So in case you were wondering, Cersei was a power hungry bitch since day one.

Tywin’s funeral was quite different too. First of all there is quite a stench coming from Tywin’s body and people find it very hard not to wretch being in the same room as his corpse. Cersei also has no clue Jaime released Tyrion, and I don’t know why they changed that part from the books. With Varys’ disappearance it would have been just as easy to blame him, but as you will see the showrunners seem to have their own plan.

Lancel, much like on the show was injured at the Blackwater, but his injuries are much more severe in the books. For his service he is married off to Amerei Frey, who is better known as Gatehouse Ami. She is known for her promiscuity, and earned her nickname because, “she will raise her portcullis for any knight who passes by.” When he comes back comes he looks much older and his hair has turned white and brittle. In the show he looks like he’s been doing DDP Yoga.

Tryion is in Pentos in the book, but not with Varys. He is with Illyrio, who you might remember from season one. He is the guy who plays Chuck Woolery to Danaerys and Khal Drogo. Illyrio sends Tryion off with a couple of characters who the show has cut, but honestly the show will probably be better for it. Varys is a great character, who everyone knows and loves, the books add a group of characters who aren’t really that entertaining.

In Meereen we see an Unsullied get murdered in a brothel. This is a plot directly from the books and I’m interested to see how they handle it. I was reading something about how this portion of the story was written right around the time when the Iraq war was heating up and it seems to have influenced this plot. The Sons of the Harpy are basically the Al Qaeda of Meereen. Danaerys basically took over a nation that had no desire to be taken over and those people are fighting back. The scene with the dragons was fun, but not in the books at all. The dragons are in the vault, and seemingly out of control, but she never goes down there.

Jon and Stannis(and by proxy Melisandre) might very well be my favorite relationship in the books and hopefully they don’t fuck it up. Stannis, who rightfully has the reputation as a hard ass, is going to have to learn to deal with a group of people who don’t necessarily have to listen to him.

Mance Rader is twice as bad ass as me, if you gave me the choice between being burnt alive and anything else, odds are I’m picking the latter. My favorite part of the entire sequence was Stannis looking at Mance as if to say, “I get it, I wouldn’t have knelt either.” It says so much about both characters.

Parts of the show that I have to reserve judgement for, because they haven’t happened in the books or they’ve just plain made them up:

Loras Tyrell is completely different on the show than he is in the books. On the show he is a sex craved idiot, in the books he is basically the exact opposite. He is smart, valiant and a great warrior while also being young, impulsive and arrogant. There is nothing about him that would have been in the bed flirting with some dude when he had other responsibilities. He is basically the type of dude you’d want to hire if you had a small business and could only hire one person. Sure he’d get on your nerves, but you’d never doubt he’s giving you his best. He’s one of the more interesting side characters in the books, because he is kind of a combination of Jon and Jaime. He should really be the medieval version of Omar from The Wire. Him being gay shouldn’t be his #1 character trait, it should be something you barely realize because he is so busy being a bad ass.

Sansa and Littlefinger are already past where they are in the books, and they are doing things I don’t expect them to do at all. The reason they went to the Vale are because it is the most isolated places in the entire 7 Kingdoms. They aren’t gallivanting around the countryside, because the entire realm is still looking for Sansa.

• Like 10

I like how they used the statue of the Harpy falling as this big dramatic selling point in the commercials, but it turns out to just be Dany remodeling the Great Pyramid, knocking out walls to open up the living room and installing new stainless steel appliances and shit.

• Like 2