Tyrion: 4
Baelish: 1

Varys: 1

Arya: 1

Ygritte (no longer competing): 1

*[Joffrey]: 1

Carla from SILICON VALLEY: 11 in one episode**

*apparently but seriously fuck Joffrey

**I assume both shows are taking place in different timelines of the same world and will crossover soon.  Like, come on, Big Head is basically Jon Snow.

• Like 5

I'm so glad I didn't give in and watch all the leaked ones because waiting for 3 weeks after THAT would have been brutal.

Thats why some of us were so eager to discuss stuff after they were leaked.

I know he's an old man at this point and the choreography with an actor that old might not be the easiest, but I was expecting more from Barriston after so much build. He fought admirably but I felt like we've seen multiple other highly skilled fighters perform better in similarly outmatched situations than he did there. Maybe the Sons of the Harpy are extremely well trained? I'd love to see a supremebve post to shed some more light, and about that episode in general. I feel like there was other stuff I wanted to share thoughts about but obviously all I can think about now is the ending.

• Like 1

I know he's an old man at this point and the choreography with an actor that old might not be the easiest, but I was expecting more from Barriston after so much build. He fought admirably but I felt like we've seen multiple other highly skilled fighters perform better in similarly outmatched situations than he did there. Maybe the Sons of the Harpy are extremely well trained? I'd love to see a supremebve post to shed some more light, and about that episode in general. I feel like there was other stuff I wanted to share thoughts about but obviously all I can think about now is the ending.

Forget Barriston, I was living the "elite trained-from-birth" Unsullied totally lost their shit when they were jumped by a bunch of former slavers wielding daggers.  Tight quarters?  So you get back-to-back and form a phalanx with your shields and spears, that's basic tactics.  Nobody is going to get close to you with a dagger if they have to go through a wall of 4 spears in an alley!  

The fight scenes in this show can get so annoying - Unsullied mowed down like flies, the "best killers" of the Iron Islands beaten back by Ramsey Snow in his freaking underwear,  I think the only reason the Wildlings were allowed to put up a fight at The Wall was because they were lead by Shemp, everyone's favorite Stooge.

• Like 1

Forget Barriston, I was living the "elite trained-from-birth" Unsullied totally lost their shit when they were jumped by a bunch of former slavers wielding daggers. Tight quarters? So you get back-to-back and form a phalanx with your shields and spears, that's basic tactics. Nobody is going to get close to you with a dagger if they have to go through a wall of 4 spears in an alley!

The fight scenes in this show can get so annoying - Unsullied mowed down like flies, the "best killers" of the Iron Islands beaten back by Ramsey Snow in his freaking underwear, I think the only reason the Wildlings were allowed to put up a fight at The Wall was because they were lead by Shemp, everyone's favorite Stooge.

Yeah, that really has stood out since the beginning of the season. Maybe they want us to believe that if there isn't a bunch of them in one area then they all suck at fighting save for Grey Worm?

supremebve, on 04 May 2015 - 3:07 PM, said:snapback.png

Lawful Metal, on 04 May 2015 - 2:17 PM, said:snapback.png

I'm okay with the Sons of the Harpy / Unsullied fight in theory.  Yes, the Unsullied should've mopped the floor with them, but they were not on a battlefield like an Unsullied should, but in close, cramped interiors.  A long spear is not an ideal weapon for a fight like that.  So, the Sons of the Harpy did have the advantage until Barristan showed up. 

The Unsullied and Barristan Selmy would have destroyed those dudes no matter where they fought.  The Unsullied are an elite fighting force with swords, spears, and shields.  Barristan Selmy may very well be the best living warrior in Westeros/Essos, and he is undoubtably the most seasoned.  A group of untrained guerilla fighters armed with nothing but daggers would be slaughtered without much trouble.  As soon as Selmy and the Unsullied knew what was happening they'd have an advantage, especially since their numbers were seemingly equal.  The Sons of the Harpy could only win if they had overwhelming numbers and the element of surprise.  The Sons would have been finished as soon as the Unsullied were able to get into formation.  They could not stand and fight with such a superior fighting force, there is just no way they'd be able to compete with the discipline and experience.

The show is kind of fast and loose with who is and who isn't an elite fighter, while the books are pretty cut and dry about who is a top tier fighter and who is just another knight/soldier.  For instance Bronn is a good fighter, who is clever and resourceful, but he is not someone who should ever fuck with the elite fighters.  Loras Tyrell, who on the show is a sex starved, gay man probably would have killed all of those faith militant dudes with his bare hands before he let them arrest him.  The Unsullied aren't necessarily elite fighters individually, but they are basically the elite group of fighters in the entire series.  There is a story about the Unsullied where they 3000 Unsullied stood against 25,000 Dothraki.  The Dothraki charged their ranks on horseback 18 times, but their ranks never broke.  The Dothraki killed all but 600 of the Unsullied, but after taking over 12,000 casualties the Dothraki surrendered.    There is no way those Sons of the Harpy could have stood against the Unsullied, but they could never have beaten Barristan the MOTHERFUCKING BOLD.

The best fighters in the series are the following(I'll probably miss someone, but these are the ones I can think of right now):  Robert Baratheon, Jaime Lanniser(with both hands), The Hound, The Mountain, Oberyn Martell, Loras Tyrell, Garland Tyrell(Not in the show), Brienne of Tarth, Areo Hotah, but the most well regarded is Barristan Selmy.  Barristan is a living legend, and he earned that legendary status both in tourneys and war.  When he was 16 he killed Maelys the Monstrous in single combat, after cutting through the Golden Company during the War of the Ninepenny Kings.  After he killed Maelys the Monstrous, the rest of the Band of Nine decided to tuck tail and go home.  During the Defiance of Duskendale, where Arys Targaryen was kidnapped by Lord Hollard, Selmy disguised himself as a beggar and climbed into the castle.  He killed his way into the Dunfort and rode out of Duskendale and rescued the King by himself.  He won Joffrey's nameday tourney the year before the series started at the age of 57.  When Joffrey dismissed him from the Kings Guard, Joffrey sent a group of Gold Cloaks(basically the King's Landing police) to take him and Barristan Selmy killed themall despite the fact that they were armed and he was not.  Barristan Selmy is basically Paul Bunyan and Alexander the Great at the same time.  He is the subject of bedtime stories, and all of them are true.  Whether or not he is the best sword in the series is up for debate, but he is the fighter that all the other fighters respect the most.

• Like 3

The best fighters in the series are the following(I'll probably miss someone, but these are the ones I can think of right now):  Robert Baratheon, Jaime Lanniser(with both hands), The Hound, The Mountain, Oberyn Martell, Loras Tyrell, Garland Tyrell(Not in the show), Brienne of Tarth, Areo Hotah, but the most well regarded is Barristan Selmy.  

IIRC in the books there's actually a discussion of who the greatest single fighter in Westeros is, and the consensus was that Selmy would be the clear-cut winner but for his age.  I think the other names in the discussion were Jaime, The Mountain, and Loras Tyrell. 

The best fighters in the series are the following(I'll probably miss someone, but these are the ones I can think of right now):  Robert Baratheon, Jaime Lanniser(with both hands), The Hound, The Mountain, Oberyn Martell, Loras Tyrell, Garland Tyrell(Not in the show), Brienne of Tarth, Areo Hotah, but the most well regarded is Barristan Selmy.  

IIRC in the books there's actually a discussion of who the greatest single fighter in Westeros is, and the consensus was that Selmy would be the clear-cut winner but for his age.  I think the other names in the discussion were Jaime, The Mountain, and Loras Tyrell. 

Yeah, those are the ones that people tend to look at as the best, but the rest are people who have either proven themselves to be as good or haven't fought in enough wars or tourneys to gain fame.  Overyn was as good of a warrior as there was in the world, he would have killed the Mountain fairly easily if he would have been more focused on fighting than getting a confession.  Brienne's skills are essentially unknown to everyone but Jaime and Loras, and they learned first hand during the series.  Loras claims his brother Garland is a better sword than he is, which is no small feat.  Jaime compares all fighters he encounters to the Hound, which implies a great deal of respect from a man who doesn't have much respect for anyone.  Robert Baratheon is more debatable, but he's been described as incredibly strong, suprisingly fast, and utterly fearless.

Then again, popular opinion in Westeros before Robert's Rebellion would have put Rhaegar Targaryen at 1a, behind only Barristan. And then Robert killed him in single combat.

And now, Grey Worm's new single:

• Like 1

supremebve, on 04 May 2015 - 3:07 PM, said:snapback.png

Lawful Metal, on 04 May 2015 - 2:17 PM, said:snapback.png

I'm okay with the Sons of the Harpy / Unsullied fight in theory.  Yes, the Unsullied should've mopped the floor with them, but they were not on a battlefield like an Unsullied should, but in close, cramped interiors.  A long spear is not an ideal weapon for a fight like that.  So, the Sons of the Harpy did have the advantage until Barristan showed up. 

The Unsullied and Barristan Selmy would have destroyed those dudes no matter where they fought.  The Unsullied are an elite fighting force with swords, spears, and shields.  Barristan Selmy may very well be the best living warrior in Westeros/Essos, and he is undoubtably the most seasoned.  A group of untrained guerilla fighters armed with nothing but daggers would be slaughtered without much trouble.  As soon as Selmy and the Unsullied knew what was happening they'd have an advantage, especially since their numbers were seemingly equal.  The Sons of the Harpy could only win if they had overwhelming numbers and the element of surprise.  The Sons would have been finished as soon as the Unsullied were able to get into formation.  They could not stand and fight with such a superior fighting force, there is just no way they'd be able to compete with the discipline and experience.

The show is kind of fast and loose with who is and who isn't an elite fighter, while the books are pretty cut and dry about who is a top tier fighter and who is just another knight/soldier.  For instance Bronn is a good fighter, who is clever and resourceful, but he is not someone who should ever fuck with the elite fighters.  Loras Tyrell, who on the show is a sex starved, gay man probably would have killed all of those faith militant dudes with his bare hands before he let them arrest him.  The Unsullied aren't necessarily elite fighters individually, but they are basically the elite group of fighters in the entire series.  There is a story about the Unsullied where they 3000 Unsullied stood against 25,000 Dothraki.  The Dothraki charged their ranks on horseback 18 times, but their ranks never broke.  The Dothraki killed all but 600 of the Unsullied, but after taking over 12,000 casualties the Dothraki surrendered.    There is no way those Sons of the Harpy could have stood against the Unsullied, but they could never have beaten Barristan the MOTHERFUCKING BOLD.

The best fighters in the series are the following(I'll probably miss someone, but these are the ones I can think of right now):  Robert Baratheon, Jaime Lanniser(with both hands), The Hound, The Mountain, Oberyn Martell, Loras Tyrell, Garland Tyrell(Not in the show), Brienne of Tarth, Areo Hotah, but the most well regarded is Barristan Selmy.  Barristan is a living legend, and he earned that legendary status both in tourneys and war.  When he was 16 he killed Maelys the Monstrous in single combat, after cutting through the Golden Company during the War of the Ninepenny Kings.  After he killed Maelys the Monstrous, the rest of the Band of Nine decided to tuck tail and go home.  During the Defiance of Duskendale, where Arys Targaryen was kidnapped by Lord Hollard, Selmy disguised himself as a beggar and climbed into the castle.  He killed his way into the Dunfort and rode out of Duskendale and rescued the King by himself.  He won Joffrey's nameday tourney the year before the series started at the age of 57.  When Joffrey dismissed him from the Kings Guard, Joffrey sent a group of Gold Cloaks(basically the King's Landing police) to take him and Barristan Selmy killed themall despite the fact that they were armed and he was not.  Barristan Selmy is basically Paul Bunyan and Alexander the Great at the same time.  He is the subject of bedtime stories, and all of them are true.  Whether or not he is the best sword in the series is up for debate, but he is the fighter that all the other fighters respect the most.

Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning tosses his name into the hat.

When you see Barristan The Bold, think Ric Flair in early 2000s WWE.

He's still the best of all time and able to beat anybody, except he's not going to win the world championship anymore (except maybe once as a token/retirement gift).

His "The Greatest" reputation is totally deserved and earned, but earned a long time ago.

A special attraction who will ultimately be fed to someone for his retirement.  (except he's putting over an anonymous leaderless unit?  like The Nexus was supposed to be?)

This talk of all the great fighters not being translated well onto the show greatly disappoints me.

Jaime catching/blocking that sword with his metal hand, awesome as it is, was also a bit said because that happens in the books but someone else does it and that spot being given to Jaime probably means said character will remain cut from the show (and this late in the show probably should remain cut from the show, and wouldn't be as cool without having that to do anyway)

Also, Loras is HBK, except they've played up the flamboyant pretty boy part of it without really showing any of the "got the skills to back it up" part since Season 1.

It's a bit of a shame but I do understand why some of it has to be cut for the sake of streamlining/focusing on the narrative points that are actually more important.

It really would be. I haven't been digging this season very much at all, and it's not just because of the slower transitional episodes that typically start the seasons off. This was the "shit gets real" episode that's supposed to hook everyone hard and it still was a major disappointment, especially after hearing there's nothing in the books they were trying to do justice with such an illogical way for the Unsullied and Barristan to go down. All around these episodes have felt like they're not dealing with the rich source material the show is typically adapting and has much more of a "made for TV" feel that most fantasy shows are plagued by.

It really would be. I haven't been digging this season very much at all, and it's not just because of the slower transitional episodes that typically start the seasons off. This was the "shit gets real" episode that's supposed to hook everyone hard and it still was a major disappointment, especially after hearing there's nothing in the books they were trying to do justice with such an illogical way for the Unsullied and Barristan to go down. All around these episodes have felt like they're not dealing with the rich source material the show is typically adapting and has much more of a "made for TV" feel that most fantasy shows are plagued by.

OK, so you guys have noticed this too?  I'm having an issue with this season not because they're changing things, but because they are dumbing down everything to a point that it makes the world less rich.  There are a shitload of little things this season that just ignore details that make the world seem real.  They set up Loras Tyrell as a great fighter in the first season, but since then that part of his character has been forgotten.  Mace Tyrell, who in the books is a person who takes himself too seriously and isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is, has been turned into a buffoon.  This dude basically did the cabbage patch when he was told that he needed to go spend his money to pay someone else's debt.  What kind of idiot would be so happy about paying debts that he didn't accrue?

Brienne and Podrick see Littlefinger and Sansa go into Moat Cailin and decide, "Let's just go around."  Last season Roose Bolton told Ramsey he needed to take back Moat Cailin, because the only land route into the North goes through Moat Cailin and their army was stranded on the other side.  Going around Moat Cailin on a horse is like riding a horse through the swamps and bayous of rural Louisiana.  Has anyone ever watched Swamp People?  Do you think you could find your way through that landscape on a horse, especially when Pod is a terrible horseman?  All of this would be OK, if they didn't point out the fact that you can't go around last season. 

Jaime and Bronn go to Dorne to kidnap a princess, because they don't want to start a war.  That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard, how does that prevent a war?  You go into a city, steal a princess who is only there because these people don't trust you, and think you're going to go home like nothing happened?  So what if you succeed and you can steal this princess without no one noticing?  What do you do when you get home?  If the princess of the entire fucking Seven Kingdoms gets kidnapped, don't you kind of have to go to war with Dorne?  She was supposed to be under their protection, and you have to pretend that you aren't the one who stole her, war is pretty much the only choice at that point.  So the plan is not to take an army into Dorne, because that would start a war.  So we're going to send two guys to kidnap a princess, one of which is the most famous person in Westeros who isn't a King and/or Queen.  You expect to be able to walk into the palace without being seen, steal a princess, get on a row boat, and row back to King's Landing, without anyone noticing that a surefire celebrity is the one who stole her?  That would be like Beyonce kidnapped Malia Obama from the White House and decided to row a boat to Miami to get away.

• Like 2

I feel the same as you. I have liked this season much less than previous ones. It's just all over the place and really unfocused. It almost feels like the second or third season of the Walking Dead, where people became inexplicably stupid and everyone was stuck somewhere. Dany is stuck at the fucking pyramid, Cersei is stuck in King's Landing, etc. Everyone is just fucking stuck somewhere, except for Bronn and Jamie, who are on the dumbest mission of all time. Like, you're going to start a war. Unless you kill each and every last person in Dorne, they're going to be pissed when you steal away the princess. There's other shit that just doesn't get a payoff until it's way too late. Like, what the fuck is Varys doing now that Tyrion is gone? The whole point was to bring him to Dany, which is exactly what Captain Friendzone is doing. That, in fact, was the most interesting part of the show, with Tyrion regaining some of his supreme intellect now that he's sobering up a bit. THAT LAST 5 MINUTES!

At some point, this series needs to fucking stop adding more factions and more characters and actually focus on what they have, otherwise you're just going to have 60 minutes comprised of 5 minute sketches showing what everyone is up to while things go nowhere.

Oh, and could we please get back to whatever the fuck happened with Ned's son whose name I can't even remember because we're nearly half a season in and there's been no update?

Jaime and Bronn go to Dorne to kidnap a princess, because they don't want to start a war.  That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard, how does that prevent a war?  You go into a city, steal a princess who is only there because these people don't trust you, and think you're going to go home like nothing happened?  So what if you succeed and you can steal this princess without no one noticing?  What do you do when you get home?  If the princess of the entire fucking Seven Kingdoms gets kidnapped, don't you kind of have to go to war with Dorne?  She was supposed to be under their protection, and you have to pretend that you aren't the one who stole her, war is pretty much the only choice at that point.  So the plan is not to take an army into Dorne, because that would start a war.  So we're going to send two guys to kidnap a princess, one of which is the most famous person in Westeros who isn't a King and/or Queen.  You expect to be able to walk into the palace without being seen, steal a princess, get on a row boat, and row back to King's Landing, without anyone noticing that a surefire celebrity is the one who stole her?  That would be like Beyonce kidnapped Malia Obama from the White House and decided to row a boat to Miami to get away.

I think Beyonce would take Sasha seeing as we had the whole Sasha Fierce thing. But that's just me though.

We haven't even talked about the fact that the little girl from The Whale Rider javelin'd a man through the head.

• Like 1

That was her?!? I just watched the Whale Rider about a week ago and loved it. That girl in GoT being the same actor didn't even register with me.

Dude, they found Jodhi May who has only been doing TV movies in the UK for the last twenty years. May was also in a movie called Common (which was pretty decent FWIW) with Michelle Fairley. She had like a 90 second cameo as MAGGY THE FROG.

The life of child actors is hard.

Whale Rider is one of my girlfriend's favorite movies so she kinda keeps up with some of those actors. Some are easier to keep up with than others, like Cliff Curtis obviously. I asked her about the girl and she said some years after Whale Rider she wound up getting pregnant and just never had the career she could have had. I'll have to let her know about Keisha Castle-Hughes being in GoT.

And now that I think about it, Cliff Curtis looks like he belongs in GoT somewhere.