DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE SIX - 2nd Round (8/17/16)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

This same argument every time something that's less than believable happens is really tired.

Come up with a convincing counter-argument one of these days and maybe you'll stop hearing it.

Either that or just say "I don't like that." It's a perfectly valid opinion, and unlike the theory that moonsaults and Irish whips are believable things to happen in a fight, not utter bullshit.

There isn't a good kayfabe reason why Tozawa didn't immediately get up and kick Gallagher in his grinning face. It made Tozawa look weak and like an idiot - exactly the same arguments made against ZSJ could be applied to Gallagher here. That's why it took me out of the action. If "wrestling is fake" is all you have to contribute to the discussion, I don't know why you'd bother posting on this board.

6 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

There isn't a good kayfabe reason why Tozawa didn't immediately get up and kick Gallagher in his grinning face.

Sure there is. His limbs were tied in a knot, and he couldn't undo it. If that's a bridge too far for you, but "his momentum carried him off the ropes and he couldn't stop in time" is totally logical, I'm not sure it's the move that's the problem.

"That was fake" was literally what you were bitching about. If you're gonna come on here and complain that wrestling is fake, I don't know why you'd bother posting on this board.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

There isn't a good kayfabe reason why Tozawa didn't immediately get up and kick Gallagher in his grinning face. 

How exactly do you know that? Have you been tied in this position?

Feel free to not like a spot, but act like a fucking adult and don't call people names for having the temerity to disagree with you.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Actually - I could argue that the knot is a submission and I kind took the beginning of that segment as Gallagher looking at the ref of "Hey Ask Him".

I mean I could have sworn the crowd was actually yelling "Tap! Tap! Tap!"

Gallagher was making a "Tap" motion as well.

I wasn't crazy about that Gallagher/Tozawa match. I didn't mind the comedy stuff, and thought the knot spot was important because it pissed Tozawa off enough to take the match out of comedy mode. It felt weird to have Jack(the clear crowd favorite) control the middle of the match. You have a bunch of nice legwork from Gallagher that Tozawa sells pretty big, and it all leads to Tozawa hitting two german suplexes including a long drawn out bridging suplex where he showed no signs of having a hurt leg. The finish made Jack look kinda weak since he was dominating the match and even tried to counter the last suplex before it hit(and it didn't look very devastating at all).Pretty poor match layout IMO.

I thought Dar's offense looked good. I'm not going to write him off yet as he really hasn't had much to work with.

Kendrick was working for two out there. Nese is a generic spot monkey with overly convoluted offense. Kendrick/Ibushi should be great. It'll be really fun watching how Kendrick tries to combat all of Ibushi's sick looking offense. I love that Kendrick's go to move to get out of trouble was pulling Nese's beard. The best character work in WWE is being done by Kendrick.

As someone who can't get into Nese's warmed-over indy PREMIER ATHLETE~! rowrbazzle, that was the best I've ever seen him look out there. Yeah, Kendrick was running the show but it wasn't a one-man show by any means... Nese did more than his fair share.

"HO HO LUN!" ♪♫ Green worker! ♪♫
Seriously, I thought he looked way better here than in the first round. Still, with all of the talent in this thing it's a bit of a crime that Dar snuck all the way into the quarters.

I thought Gallagher's shine was outstanding... then again, I love good comedy shtick and Tozawa's done enough of it in Dragon Gate that he was the perfect foil, knowing exactly when to tell everybody to get out of the pool and kick it up a notch.

On 8/18/2016 at 1:25 AM, sydneybrown said:

Agree with pretty much all of that.  My only nitpick is that those snap Germans look so much more deadly than the regular one.

Definitely.  The slow, deadlift German looks awesome when done on a bigger guy because you can buy that the impact of his body weight can put him out for 3.  But I can't buy it as a finish against a small guy.  The snap German should have been the finish after Gallagher kicked out of the deadlift.

On 8/18/2016 at 7:29 AM, MORELOCK said:

I know the usual suspects will shout me down for this, but that Gallagher knot spot was really stupid and took me completely out of that match. Gallagher last night was a less flagrant offender of all the things people are hating on ZSJ for in his matches. 

I liked the end result of the spot itself but as @Kyuubi said, it needed to be set up better.  There was no struggle at all.  It came off way too cooperative and phony.  But Tozawa being stuck in the move and the ref being flummoxed?  I loved it.

19 hours ago, Greggulator said:

The guy Gallagher reminds me the most of is Eddie Guerrero. Obviously they are different workers (and Eddie might be the best ever). But what Eddie did best in his "Lie, Cheat and Steal" thing was let the audience in on what he was doing. It was mischievous hi jinks as opposed to malice.

Gallagher let us in on the act with his wave taunt. It wasn't him being a jerk. It was him trying to rile his opponent up.

Sabre didn't look like he did his stuff out of fun. It was more serious. If you're doing a "serious business" thing, your stuff better look tight or else it doesn't work.

But Gallagher is sort of a comedy wrestler, just like Eddie was in a lot of ways. He is more towards the Santino camp than the Dynamite Kid realm.

This.  Sabre and Gallagher could have the exact same match and Gallagher's would be better because of the way he portrays it.  Gallagher understands his character and that makes all the difference.

• Like 2

Man, another awesome episode...and also a Noam Dar match. Gallagher/Tozawa and Kendrick/Nese were real easy adds to our MOTY list. The wrestling fan in me really took over during that Kendrick match, as suddenly I wanted nothing more than for Kendrick to advance, and as the match went on I kept getting more and more skeptical that was going to happen. I was flat out losing it during that match. Tozawa/Gallagher was such a fun build, as the playful mood gradually gets nasty as all hell. Gallagher dropping down into a rolling heel hook was one of my favorite wrestling spots of the year. It's crushing that one of these guys had to get left behind, and Dar is advancing. Still, another great episode. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/08/wwe-cruiserweight-classic-81716.html

Just did a big catch up of all six weeks. Pretty much just echoing what people said about the big great matches to this point (I did love in Kota/Cedric how Cedric's early lead really felt more like Kota feeling him out, with Kota feeling totally in control until the Golden Triangle bombed because Cedric had his more advanced shit super well scouted) and yeah, I'm in the camp that just hated ZSJ to the point of yelling profanities at him. Nese is offensively awful too. Everyone else has been varying degrees of alright with some cases of nerves or green-ness coming out. 

Tozawa-Gallagher was awesome. Getting introduced to Gallagher is maybe my highlight of the tourney. Loved how Tozawa couldn't figure out Gallagher's offense and got frustrated by it more than hurt...until the legwork. That said, who in DG doesn't use legwork? (Mostly badly but still) Gallagher's matwork also acted as a great way to shut down Tozawa's momentum. But in the end, Gallagher needed bombs he didn't have and with Tozawa's explosive offense acting as an equalizer when it worked, it turned into a matter of time before he rattled off the moves he needed to win. Really great match. 

Also, I am pro-knot.

Lun-Dar could have been a nightmare but was merely fine. Two dudes who seem like they'd be carryable but in need of a leading hand put together in a blind leading the blind deal. Ended up more bland than anything else.

Kendrick-Nese was a hell of a carryjob. Nese is AWFUL. Awful. Flashy bullshit he can't even do right without any personality. Dude feels like a mid-2000s efed character in the worst way. But Kendrick is good enough in pacing his spots and rocking the schtick to carry that. The fact that I was dreading a Nese win got me really into the nearfalls and finish teases and I popped huge at the end. Total miracle carryjob by Kendrick cementing him as one of the best in the world right now, probably.

Tony Nese is the ultimate "guy that does wrestling moves well" and nothing else well.

And on the topic of people whose profiles are getting raised thanks to Cruiserweight Classic, I don't think anyone before the tournament was clamoring for having Brian Kendrick hired as a trainer for the Performance Center. But damn he has been great at playing the wily vet role in this thing.

To hell with Kendrick just being a trainer the guy is turning in masterful performances in the ring. Most of the people working big matches at Takeover are around his age. Sign him as a player/coach or just as a player.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think that's a little harsh on Nese. My critique of him is that he needs to clean up his look, slow it down, and start showing emotion instead of going through the motion.

The thing is, he's had YEARS to put this shit together. He's been heavily pushed in EVOLVE for like four years and had a year in TNA prior. And he's STILL liquid dogshit in the ring and with nothing else to offer beyond that ringwork. Dude is just awful to the bone with no real redeeming features. For all the Davey trashing, he can at least be okay when he doesn't lean into his excesses. Tony Nese is never good under any circumstances. He is absolute trash and it is baffling that he keeps getting pushed on a variety of platforms.

• Like 1

Sabre worked (the original) Chuck Taylor at the CHIKARA show I went to today, He showed a lot more charisma than he has in the CWC so far, in that he got over (well, he was over when he walked through the curtain) with his personality as well as his ringwork. He didn't have much to prove to the savvy crowd there but the match was kept competitive in the "oneupmanship" style rather than straight up comedy. This was the best I have seen him, and/but i am a CT mark.

- RAF

ps- It was a great show but the fat guy next to me stank of farts and Doritos and he tried to start every possible chant. I think he became un-nerved by my growled "just stop" that crawled out from between my clenched teeth by the end of the card. I can show restraint sometimes.

• Like 1

Nese seems like the type of guy the WWE would love...I'm surprised he was out this quickly, but I could see him a few pounds heavier and doing something other than cruiserweight stuff in the very near future.

The Brian Kendrick has an amazing story in this tournament. I don't see him getting out of the quarterfinals, but when he is eliminated, I think the WWE has some amazingly emotional TV on their hands.

• Like 1