DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE SIX - 2nd Round (8/17/16)

RIPPA

It appears they changed the taping order up a little.

At the very least they are advertising

Akira Tozawa vs. Jack Gallagher

Brian Kendrick vs. Tony Nese

It is gonna be really hard to top last week but three of these guys I feel totally comfortable in

• COME ON JACK GALLAGHER I HAVE A DEFINITE ROOTING INTEREST IN YOU
  • These dudes doing awesome mat wrestling comedy spots in this match was great. What I dug was that even though Tozawa is a decorated vet, even he's never seen anyone as unorthodox as Gallagher, so we had the rare case where the vet was just totally flummoxed. 
  • LOL on the straitjacket. Holy shit. Then he kicked Tozawa in the ass. 
  • Tozawa getting Gallagher back with the feint punch followed by the straight right was a wonderful spot. 
  • Gallagher's work on the leg was really varied and he destroyed the limb with urgency. It didn't feel like filler. 
  • I don't think the playing possum spot had the effect that it should have, but I'm not sure why. The idea was good!
  • No, Gallagher, noooooooooo. :( Gallagher, Ciampa, Tajiri, and Alexander are out of this thing, and one of Noam Dar and Ho Ho Lun will make it to the quarters. That is not right. 
  • Dar looked better this week. 
  • Lun looked like a dude that needs to be in the PC for awhile. 
  • These nerds in Full Sail with their shitty Star Wars chants are terrible and the worst and probably smell like molding Cheez Whiz. 
  • I would have preferred that the match was built around targeting a different limb than the one that was the centerpiece of the action in the first match, just for variety's sake.
  • Kendrick getting his daily reminder that he is old as fuck and should probably retire before he gets put in a coma via a knee to the face was pretty fantastic.
  • The point of this match was clear:
  • How is the wily and half-starved vet who will wrestle for hot dogs or even that half of that Big Mac you're eating if you're not going to finish it, it's okay that you put it in the trash because it was in the wrapper and didn't touch most of the other garbage and he can just wipe off the discarded coffee grounds that got on it going to beat the young, powerful, speedy opponent who should, by all rights, kill him?
  • Now that is a run-on sentence. 
  • Kendrick being resourceful to the point of desperation really brings urgency to this tournament in a way that few other things have. When he has someone in a hold, he's in a constant state of motion, raking eyes, pulling hair, grinding his boots into his opponent's face or throat. He's always trying to fight out of holds. He's aware of his position in the ring and is always moving out of danger or into an attacking position when he sees a slight opening. None of those motions are wasted. So good. 
  • Nese has the look and is good in the air and on the mat. He's an obvious guy to sign coming out of this tournament. 
  • That buckle bomb was violent. The finishing run after that move was really fantastic, I thought. Again, there was so much urgency. 

• Like 1

I really hope they didn't tape Lun/Dar right after Gallagher/Tozawa. The former was a worse version of the latter in every possible way. Loved the finishing spot in the Gallagher/Tozawa.

THE Brian Kendrick has been the best worker in the tournament thus far. That was a great "lucky win after being owned repeatedly" match. Kendrick made himself look slower, weaker, and horribly ineffective the entire match. He looked like he didn't belong in the tournament, but not in a Ho Ho Lun kind of way, like that was actually what he was going for artistically. He came across as a total cockroach. Not only was it a great single match performance, it sets the table perfectly for facing Ibushi in the next round.

• Like 1

Yeah okay Jack Gallagher is probably a genius and I need to see more of him. And that's not a slight on what Tozawa added to the match, it's just that I know he's good and I'm glad I get to see him in Not Dragon Gate. But WOW, Gallagher.

Hoho Lun's theme being basically Street Fighter 2 Ken's Theme is great. Anyways, when they announced Noam Dar Vs. Ho Ho Lun, I figured it was gonna be the worst match of this whole tournament. I was mostly neutral (aside from Noam Dar's Constant Taunt thing), then the crowd started singing. I'll admit, I wasn't predicting that'd be the thing to drive me up the wall. Lun is actually really sympathetic in his selling, and Dar, when he could stop mashing his the taunt button, is really good at just inherently feeling mean in what he's doing. Ultimately, not catastrophic as I thought it was gonna be. Good work! I mean, not... not a good match, but, they did OK.

"premier athlete" is a nickname an app developer comes up with for a wrestler. Tony's butt is still really distracting, almost as distracting as how he thighslaps on everything. He is nearly every new wrestler to me: an incredible athlete that reminds me to save money to get more Goodhelmet sets. Kendrick is fantastic- weird and violent and carny as shit. His offense is so fascinating. I'd really love to see more of him. I'd really love to not see more of Tony Nese.

One nitpick about Kendrick/Nese: I didn't like how Nese countered the bully choke into a pin earlier in the match, but then tapped to it instantly after he missed the 450. I liked the first counter he did, where he escaped before Kendrick could get it all the way. That protects the move while making Nese look good. But showing that he could endure it one minute and then making it an instant tapout the next didn't sit right with me. I suppose you could say that missing the 450 made the difference, but I just didn't quite buy it (especially with the way Kendrick applied it the last time).

Still a really good match overall.

Gallagher/Tozawa was pro wrestling at its best. It's seriously one of my favorite matches so far. Maybe my second favorite behind the Alexander classic last week. This was such a great story -- like a comedy match that gets serious. Gallagher is such a great and unique wrestler. I loved Tozawa really committing to this type of match, too. He's such a "serious business" kind of wrestler. Being that kind of wrestler literally tied up in a knot in the ring really makes Gallagher's stuff look that much more fun. I loved Tozawa's facial expressions in this -- just absolute exasperation at what this freak is doing to him. And I love that Gallagher's goofy offense also HURTS, and Tozawa sold the crap out of his leg. The end was aces, too, with Gallagher trying to get on one last hold on the knee to escape the ridiculous deadlift German. Tozawa's selling really made that look like a total struggle.

Really great match.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:
  • These nerds in Full Sail with their shitty Star Wars chants are terrible and the worst and probably smell like molding Cheez Whiz.

The Dar/Darth Vader chant is not a Full Sail original so the blame is not fully on them.

You'll likely hear the chant at any Dar match where the crowd is familiar with him (i.e.: UK indies, etc.)

31 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Gallagher/Tozawa was pro wrestling at its best. It's seriously one of my favorite matches so far. Maybe my second favorite behind the Alexander classic last week. This was such a great story -- like a comedy match that gets serious. Gallagher is such a great and unique wrestler. I loved Tozawa really committing to this type of match, too. He's such a "serious business" kind of wrestler. Being that kind of wrestler literally tied up in a knot in the ring really makes Gallagher's stuff look that much more fun. I loved Tozawa's facial expressions in this -- just absolute exasperation at what this freak is doing to him. And I love that Gallagher's goofy offense also HURTS, and Tozawa sold the crap out of his leg. The end was aces, too, with Gallagher trying to get on one last hold on the knee to escape the ridiculous deadlift German. Tozawa's selling really made that look like a total struggle.

Really great match.

Agree with pretty much all of that.  My only nitpick is that those snap Germans look so much more deadly than the regular one.  I kinda wish they had reversed it where Jack fought off the first one, got hit anyway, then got murdered with the snap one for the pin.  As it was, it almost looked like Gallagher had just given up after being slowly dropped on his head.

• Like 1

Gallagher/Tozawa was damn good stuff. Lun/Dar was ok, but still has me wondering how either guy is still in it compared to some of the guys who lost the first round. Kendrick/Neese was Kendrick being so completely awesome again. I just love how he comes across as a guy past his time, doing every dirty, nasty trick he can to desperately stay in this.

Another fantastic show.  Jack Gallagher is one of the most entertaining guys to watch. I've loved everything I've seen from him this past year. I'd have rather he beat Tozawa but once he dominated early on it was a given Akira would end up the victor. Even still, I liked both guys and loved the match.  I hope Jack is signed out of this. 

Nese is another guy who would fit in great in their new cruiser division.  Very impressive. Kendrick's story is still the best shit going on right now.  He'll scratch and claw and there were so many little instances, everything he did had a purpose and urgency behind it. It's not even that he's cheating, he's just wily as fuck and using his experience and every part of the ring to his advantage.

I thought Ho Ho looked a little better but I don't care much for him or Dar. I have never seen anything in Noam Dar.

• Like 1

For the person who asked - the matches have aired in the exact order they were taped

That is the problem with having basically a rookie advancing - they had to put it somewhere. They aren't going to open a show with his match nor will they end it. And if you do it next week - it is the second to last match.

Also - I do truly think they weren't expect Tozawa/Gallagher to get over as well as it did.

Tozawa/Gallagher, whoever wins, we lose :( (dearly hope both are signed)

Dar poses way too much... like not in a good way, more like Eva awkward way.

The ring is his stage and Kendrick is freakin Shakespeare in it. But fuck all that, did you all see those bitchin tights he had on? Anyways, he sold it so damn well, I really did think Kendrick was going to lose til the very end.

I know the usual suspects will shout me down for this, but that Gallagher knot spot was really stupid and took me completely out of that match. Gallagher last night was a less flagrant offender of all the things people are hating on ZSJ for in his matches. 

• Like 3

Just now, MORELOCK said:

I know the usual suspects will shout me down for this, but that Gallagher knot spot was really stupid and took me completely out of that match. Gallagher last night was a less flagrant offender of all the things people are hating on ZSJ for in his matches. 

tumblr_o5bexv8eei1tpri36o1_500.gif

Yeah, I agree. That knot spot took me out the match a little. Aside from that, Gallagher was great especially with making every submission hold count and Tozawa sold his leg work like a champ. Gallagher was awesome and I hope to see more of him....just leave that knot spot out or at least put a dude in and kick him in the ass immediately afterwards.

Tony Neese is unreal. Dude looked like he was going to murder Kendrick out there. There is no way that dude is 205 because he looked monstrous out there. Kendrick did great with his wily veteran gimmick and added a bit of tenacity. I am excited for his match with Kota Ibushi, even though I don't want it to top Cedric because I am literal salt, but it probably will.

I don't care for Ho Ho Lun or Noam Dar. They have potential, but they are at the bottom rung of this tournament.