DVDVR Message Board

Summerslam XXIX

Dolfan in NYC

Oh the irony of Zayn going back into a feud with KO. IT IS A TAG THIS TIME TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!

And again - it is obvious that Bayley is replacing Sasha for now on RAW

Which REALLY highlights how sad the Smackdown women's division is - Nikki Bella and the lack of the rack attack notwithstanding

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well I was bugged it wasn't called earlier with Jon Stewart just freely going in and out of the ring.

Granted that falls under the "he didn't touch anyone" category but that is a different level of bullshit

I figured the reasoning the ref didn't DQ Stewart was because the ref figured Stewart could do no damage to the Club Doctors so he let the celebrity have his fun. Other reasoning is that non-full time WWE performers do not have to follow rules which explains how Lesnar can attack referees and the head of Smackdown Live and not have his victory overturned.

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - it was all done to bury Smackdown as much as possible

Their major title went on before the other major title AND US title

Major star left in bloody mess

Brand leader left dead in ring

The "cancelled" match was a Smackdown match

not only did they go on before two raw title matches, a women's six man from their brand went on after it.

I haven't read the whole thread, but Cena/AJ was really weird structurally. The entire match built around how the Avalanche AA beat Styles, and Cena trying to get it again and AJ escaping. It was the only storyline that existed through that match, the only they keeping it from being just a spotfest. 

Finally on the third or fourth setup, Cena hits it, story paid off, and... The match kept going. I'm glad AJ won, but the story just fell apart there. Should have had AJ escape it again and go into the finish off his reversal instead of two minutes of shock face Cena.

So isn't that some kind of a milestone for Reigns to go from winning the main belt at WrestleMania to ending up in a totally pointless schmozz for a secondary title by the time Summerslam rolls around? I mean Undertaker only won the belt off an elite softball player who turned his trunks into a fudge factory in the main event of WM XIII.... and as a backup plan at that but at least  he still got to wait until Summerslam to drop the title back into the rotation of mere mortals. I guess Reigns is the real phenom.

8 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

So isn't that some kind of a record going from winning the main belt at WrestleMania to ending up in a totally pointless schmozz for a secondary title by the time Summerslam rolls around? I mean Undertaker only won the belt off an elite softball player who turned his trunks into a fudge factory in the main event of WM XIII.... and as a backup plan at that but at least  he still got to wait until Summerslam to drop the title back into the rotation of mere mortals. I guess Reigns is the real phenom.

I recognize all the words in this post but have no idea what you are trying to say

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I recognize all the words in this post but have no idea what you are trying to say

It probably would've made a little more sense if I mentioned Reigns in the first sentence. I'm trying to say that's a pretty big dropoff for Reigns to be such hot shit that he won the belt at WrestleMania only to end up in a match at Summerslam that barely even ended up happening. 'Taker was a guy they had to hotshot the belt onto as a contingency plan the only time he won the title at WrestleMania but at least he still had the belt by the time Summerslam rolled around. That's a lot of notches for the newly christened franchise to drop from WrestleMania main event all the way down to "D'OH! Fuck, that's right, we forgot Reigns still has a U.S. Title Match we need to get onto the card!" by the time Summerslam rolls around.

I am just going to talk about the Sasha Banks vs Charlotte match and Styles vs Cena match because those are the only two matches that I felt were worth something.

Okay, Sasha needs to work on her explosiveness and maybe take a gymnastics class. Yes, I get that she did not botch anything and the sidewalk slam was Charlotte's fault. But if she insists on doing Rey Mysterio spots even though her favorite wrestler is Eddie, then she needs to be doing heavy squats or train with Kofi and learn how to manipulate her body in the air before she fucking dies out there. This is about the fifth time she nearly killed herself because she does not have the lift or spatial awareness in the air(the Splash mountain frankensteiner from the top rope). The match was good because WWE has developed this style that requires big spots to get the crowd into it which is a flaw if anything. It's just that if Sasha wants to do these spots in the future, she needs to learn how to learn how to do them properly.

AJ Styles and Cena was a match I enjoyed but I am sick of Big Match John style. It was an exchange of cool moves and it seemed sometimes John Cena was just making up shit as he goes(the fallaway slam into a cutter). But John Cena put over AJ Styles in the biggest way imaginable with his facial expression on how shocked he was that AJ kicked out of his murder death move. John Cena has never put over anybody like that in 12-13 years. He did more for the credibility of AJ Styles than TNA has done in a decade. Like I hate that he refused to sell the Calf Crusher for more than 15 seconds, but when Cena was put in a situation where he felt like every guy that Cena faced when he kicked out of stuff, it was nice to see SuperCena get the tables turned on him. I seriously hope this feud is over because John needs to lose this feud, and I am okay with AJ now challenging for the WWE Title.

Everything else was just blah to what the fuck that is terrible. The WWE Universal Belt is the ugliest fucking belt that I have ever seen. It is legit fucking looks ridiculous out there that this title is going to be put over as the main title for an entire roster. Finn Balor and Seth brought the worse in eachother. And this PPV is too damn long and the crowd just have been burnt out in the end. 

• Like 2

I'm honestly starting to wonder if they're basically doing what Stewart did IC last year and being afraid of Cena tying or beating Flair's (canon, real number is in the 20s because of phantom title switches that were never acknowledged) record. Cena hasn't been this long between title reigns since his first, I don't think. 

Which...Flair's canon 16th title reign was awarded to him and lost first defense in the same night. The number is impressive and Flair and whatnot but we can do better, I think.

Related to titles being awarded, I realized when Mauro said it that Dolph is a 2x world champ without ever winning a scheduled match for a world title. Kind of amazing in a way.

I enjoyed Styles vs. Cena and Rollins vs. Balor, but holy shit am I tired of nobody being able to hit a move without first countering the other guy's big move.  There's no actual flow to the matches anymore, it's just one guy hits something, gets a two count, same guy tries something else and gets countered, other guy hits something, gets a two count, later, rinse, repeat.  It's really predictable.

I'm guessing they were hoping to get Orton's eyebrow busted on an elbow, not the vagina that Brock opened on Orton's head.  At least the visual helped.  Had it been a shoot, there's no way they would've let Brock get more shots in.  There's "back off, this is a work so I'm keeping you away" and "BACK OFF, this guy's actually hurt, no kidding" from refs.

Honestly the last time breaking the previous mark for World Title reigns felt like it meant something was when Flair eclipsed Race in 1991. The bigger selling point would be Styles gloating about how Cena has yet to beat him with the record being the ultimate piece of candy dangling over the proceedings. In that way, Cena/Styles III would be the antithesis to Cena/Rock II, a match that had no real point in happening except for self-indulgent "getting my win back bullshit" and sure as hell didn't need a World Title involved as some kind of cheap prop to heighten the drama.

2 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

If Sasha really has to take time off for injuries and the other stuff that was out there about her concussions is true, I seriously doubt she gets another shot at that belt maybe ever.

She's one of Hunter's kids so she'll get another shot, but he'd be crazy not to sit her down with Bryan to have a serious talk. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

If Sasha really has to take time off for injuries and the other stuff that was out there about her concussions is true, I seriously doubt she gets another shot at that belt maybe ever.

What's this?

13 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:
  • The crowd was weird. Except for the shitty finisher/two-count run in Styles/Cena, they were excited for entrances and dead for matches, kinda like the NXT crowd last night.
  • Speaking of Cena/Styles, that match was almost as bad as Cena/Rock II (which I'm pretty sure was like two minutes of lockups followed immediately by twenty-five minutes of finisher trades and 2.9s)
  • Do Big E and Sasha Banks hang out backstage trying to figure out wild bumps they can take in order to hurt themselves? 
  • What I love about David Otunga is how enthusiastic he sounds about the product! Not somnambulent at all! (Still better than JBL though.)
  • I really like Kofi Kingston in ring, fuck it. I admit it. 
  • Finn and Rollins had a bad match and should feel bad. They needed to double-turn as working heel limits Finn from his worst instincts and Rollins wrestling like Jeff Hardy on more speed than even Jeff Hardy normally takes is more suited to that role. 
  • I guess Reigns is done doing jobs or showing weakness now. That was a nice brawl that was sadly interrupted by an angle. 
  • I was actually a bit interested in the main event just beacuse I wanted to see if they'd book Brock to lose after his piss test for UFC. It was pretty boring except for the blood pack, but then the end was like, "Why is Shane brave enough to come out here, but not Bryan?" Like, I know why Bryan can't take an F5, but from a kayfabe standpoint, bad look for D-Bry. 
  • This show was deadly boring, which is worse than being merely bad. Somehow, John Cena being WWE Champ for the sixteenth time sounds far more interesting than anything going on in either title scene, and I wish they'd just go with that already. 

I remember when I was a cynical fucker that hated everything, too.

7 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I remember when I was a cynical fucker that hated everything, too.

I like a lot of stuff. NXT, the CWC, World of Sport, '80s NWA, Portland, '80s WWF, etc. 

I hardly think that not liking much on this show makes me a cynical fucker that hates everything. Maybe pick a better show that actually garners a lot of praise to make your point?