DVDVR Message Board

Summerslam XXIX

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I get his point but I mean isn't he another 23-year old with severe injuries from doing crazy shit.

You have a point.

He’s has two slipped discs in his back, seven concussions, a shoulder that is prone to separation, two fractured heels, and a sciatica that is causing numbness in his foot.

As someone who does Parkour, it blows my mind that guys do these aerial maneuvers and expect to land on their back or stomachs instead of their feet. That whole superman flip over the top rope gives me shivers even with the guy waiting to catch you and that is one of the most basic aerial dives. I don't know how Ricochet and Jack Evans do it. There is always going to be impact but wrestlers need to take into account of impulse as in, they need to not take full impact in a single instant and on a single point on their body. 

Sasha however just makes me cringe because you can see that she is like a dead fish in the air and she really does not have any control of her body.

Also this lady came back to risk it all for Finn.

tumblr_oc9rn0AVST1tihmddo1_1280.jpg

• Like 2

Per Meltzer

Finn Balor's crowning moment of winning the Universal title over Seth Rollins Sunday at WWE SummerSlam may be for naught as he was injured, believed to be suffered after he was power bombed into the barricade by Rollins.

The severity of the injury is unknown at this point as he's scheduled for an evaluation Monday at television, but his arm was in a sling post-show and there was fear he would need surgery.

If Balor is unable to perform for more than a few weeks, it'll require some major overhauls in creative plans since he was scheduled to headline all the Raw brand shows as the Universal Champion.

Of note, Balor appeared Monday morning with new WWE Women's Champion Charlotte on Good Morning America and was not wearing any type of sling.

I watched this show in three parts. Way too long to keep me interested. Fun show though.

I agree with the sentiment that the current WWE -kick out of every big move- style fucking sucks and makes moves seem irrelevant and matches predictable. They should ditch the term finisher and call it a signature move. Oh well, I fondly remember 15 years ago complaining about the kick-punchy style of the WWE.

Which in turn reminds me of the time during Triple H's reign of terror how they wanted to make smaller moves seem more lethal (or at least reading about it in the dirt sheets). Triple H beat Jeff Hardy with a sleeper hold the following week if I recall correctly. Weird times.

16 minutes ago, Dirty J. said:

I agree with the sentiment that the current WWE -kick out of every big move- style fucking sucks and makes moves seem irrelevant and matches predictable. They should ditch the term finisher and call it a signature move. Oh well, I fondly remember 15 years ago complaining about the kick-punchy style of the WWE.

Which in turn reminds me of the time during Triple H's reign of terror how they wanted to make smaller moves seem more lethal (or at least reading about it in the dirt sheets). Triple H beat Jeff Hardy with a sleeper hold the following week if I recall correctly. Weird times.

There was a happy medium somewhere. I think when guys got away from countering finishers before they hit and went to just kicking out afterwards is when things started to go downhill. I don't think there's a particular point in time where it went from no one doing it to everyone doing it, but you can see that trend spikes after the Michaels/Taker Mania matches.

That's why I'll maintain that Finn/Seth had the right idea over Cena/AJ. You can take issue with the lack of selling or certain spots in the UHC match, but structurally, it's way ahead of Cena/AJ which still had the same problems, but had no drama on the first and second waves of finisher attempts as well.

6 minutes ago, peterien said:

What did the fans actually do?

Chanted "This belt sucks" to popular chanting rhythms and booed loudly whenever the shitty belt was shown on screen.

It was pretty hilarious when they were doing floor sequence, and at first the cameraman was clearly trying to get all his shots with the belt in the frame. After the boos got louder, the same cameraman had to follow the action very closely and carefully avoid the belt being in any shot.

• Like 2

It's just so lazy. I liked the women's belt being modeled after the WWE title, because it implied it's on the same level.

But using the design again with a third color strap? Just fucking lazy and/or cheap.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Also this lady came back to risk it all for Finn.

tumblr_oc9rn0AVST1tihmddo1_1280.jpg

Sigh ... good for her.  She's like a beautiful painting; nice to look at, but nothing behind it except a nail.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Chanted "This belt sucks" to popular chanting rhythms and booed loudly whenever the shitty belt was shown on screen.

It was pretty hilarious when they were doing floor sequence, and at first the cameraman was clearly trying to get all his shots with the belt in the frame. After the boos got louder, the same cameraman had to follow the action very closely and carefully avoid the belt being in any shot.

Thanks. Its a pretty.... striking belt to be fair.

8 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

The tattoo artist was probably fearing for his life that Brock would come to his senses halfway through and blame him for getting a tramp stamp.

"THE MIRROR! GIVE ME THE MIRROR!"

The tattoo artist was probably busy eating a Milky Way. 

• Like 1

Seth and Mick are correct in their responses to the negativity from the neckbeards. They should know by now that most "hardcores" are really bad people. 

Oh, and David Otunga needs to go back to doing whatever it is he did before he was called up to be a commentator. He's really terrible. 

4 hours ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

I don't mind finisher kick out because the idea of a finisher in and of itself is silly. Like, I get it and the tradition, but it's just a weird hangover from the last century.

What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The concept that some moves are more effective than others, and an elite few are devastating enough to end a match, is a basic concept and has it's aspect in combat sports like judo, MMA and boxing. 

In a kay fabe sense, a hierarchy of moves is an effective tool for story telling and character defining, and I believe an inherent element to pro rassling. If every move is equal, than every wrestler is equal and there goes your underdog dramas as well as other storylines.

Not every match ends in a finisher (roll-ups, DQs, et al) just as sometimes a jab can end a boxing match. However, other combat sports have judges and point systems to replace the definitive endings that pro wrestling can book.

I cannot conceive of rassling without finishers. Even the weirdos who want to eliminate gimmicks and the face/heel concept know better than to remove finishers... don't they?

- RAF

• Like 1