DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

9 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Didn't know there were so many unreasonably venomous Miz haters left, thought y'all got bored and moved on to Dolph and Rollins

I don't hate him. I find him fairly entertaining most of the time actually. It's just kinda ludicrous to pump him up to the degree that some people do.

Ron Garvin finally winning the NWA title off a guy who he feuded with off-and-on for like two years was awesome. Plus I'm going out on a limb and saying that he's actually Flair's best opponent, not Steamboat or Sting. Those Garvin/Flair matches are all great. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Ron Garvin finally winning the NWA title off a guy who he feuded with off-and-on for like two years was awesome. Plus I'm going out on a limb and saying that he's actually Flair's best opponent, not Steamboat or Sting. Those Garvin/Flair matches are all great. 

The box office said otherwise.

1 minute ago, DTTW said:

Miz is a guy who is strangely good to great on all the things about pro wrestling that aren't wrestling.

And that matters much, much more to people than, y'know, the namesake of the profession. Go figure. But I'm sure an argument will come into this thread where someone tries to make the case for The Miz being a "better worker" than Seth Rollins.

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Remind me to make a bet with you at some point where if you lose, you change your avatar to this:

Reveal hidden contents

The-Miz-wallpapers-7.jpg

Coincidentally, this was the last time The Miz was remotely interesting or entertaining.

Just now, DTTW said:

The box office said otherwise.

Strange appeal to popularity. If I thought like that, I would argue that the Attitude Era had the best wrestling because hey, look at the box office. 

Watching those matches here in 2016, they are awesome, no matter how many tickets people bought to see them in 1985, '86, or '87. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

And that matters much, much more to people than, y'know, the namesake of the profession. Go figure. But I'm sure an argument will come into this thread where someone tries to make the case for The Miz being a "better worker" than Seth Rollins.

Coincidentally, this was the last time The Miz was remotely interesting or entertaining.

The Miz/Lawler match is probably a better match than any of the HHH cosplay that Rollins has done as champion. Miz is a better promo, and has actively gotten people over multiple times in his career, including people who were legitimately the worst people in the company (Riley, Sandow). 

In 2016, Miz has been a top 5 TV worker. Rollins is athletic and has had a bunch of great tag matches. I like the Neville match a lot, but if you asked me who was more likely to have a great 10 minute TV match right now, I think it's way closer than you want to admit. 

• Like 1

And if anyone responds to that with either a "Well you're just being contrary! That's what people do here. You're all just ridiculous." or "There is objective truth in wrestling and that objective truth is that Rollins is better. Everyone else thinks that but here. I don't need to provide any evidence or examples of what he does better and how I think it matters more. It's just wrestling truth that I don't need to back up!" I'm putting the useless fucker on ignore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steve said:

In 30 years, some of us will be dead, and everybody will be talking about how #FRACTURED Maxel Hardy couldn't hold the Miz's jock.

Absurd.  In 2046, we're all going to be slobbering over #DefectiveVanguard17. 

Now that's a money gimmick if I've ever seen one!

New England boy makes it big in in the 90s due to a successful professional partnership with his best friend. However, by the early 2000s he faces critical backlash and public ridicule for appearing in awful, bloated epics, and is soon further mocked because of the woman he's in a relationship with.

When all hope is lost that he'll ever be taken seriously again, he moves into a creative role and becomes lauded because of his success at directing others. He still appears as a performer himself, and as such is still party to plenty of ridicule.

Triple H or Ben Affleck? 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Speaking of which, I saw a trailer for a Rock N Roll Express shoot recently where Morton claimed it was supposed to go to him but he refused so they put it on Garvin, is there any truth to that?

I doubt it.  What reason did he give for (allegedly) refusing?  Surely it wasn't out of loyalty to that derpy-eyed anchor he was tagging with. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Dude. Ron Garvin was legit! It's more like Tommy Rich.

I liked Ron Garvin's work and but his title reign was bullshit.  They needed a title change for Starrcade and none of the names in the company wanted to carry the belt for a lame duck reign.  Shit, Garvin was a midcarder by then, to boot.

It's Sports Illustrated. 

In the kayfabe/casual fan sense that this was clearly written in, giving a guy who beat John Cena in a Wrestlemania main event and has held numerous IC/US/Tag Team titles the last spot in a ranking of 101 wrestlers isn't a stretch.

The Miz hate is amazing though.  

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Strange appeal to popularity. If I thought like that, I would argue that the Attitude Era had the best wrestling because hey, look at the box office. 

The bottom line is do you make money or not. History has shown 5* matches don't make dollars. In terms of wrestling quality overall, you are correct, the attitude era was full of way more crap than good, but that crap has been funding the company since then and that means more than any good wrestling ever will.

It's really sad Miz can't find a way to turn all these gifts he has into big dollars when 20 or so years ago he probably would have. Is it the writers, Vince, himself, something else? 

21 minutes ago, DTTW said:

The bottom line is do you make money or not.

Maybe for the promoter. Not for the fan. It's weird that you'd expect me to prioritize things as a promoter when I'm clearly a fan. Your original response (and this one) are really outside of the context of the discussion. 

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

I doubt it.  What reason did he give for (allegedly) refusing?  Surely it wasn't out of loyalty to that derpy-eyed anchor he was tagging with. 

Really.  I mean, I get Ricky Morton's appeal, but how much trim could Robert Fucking Gibson *honestly* have been swimming in??

• Like 2