DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

Okay I know which one you're talking about but he's been in so many movies I also wonder if there's one where he played

1) a corrupt corporate official

2) an athlete who is the victim of a crime

3) Mo Farah

194962.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

IOC will deny it until Lochte or a sponsor pays them to change their story. Can't make it seem like Rio's not descended into the craven cesspool it has the last decade, in part due to the existence of said games in the first place.

The IOC and a sponsor working it out:

• Like 3

Wow I didn't know that one fall start in a track event means a disqualification.   All that work and then eliminated for being .1 seconds early.  

I think quarterfinal/semi finals Bolt is more entertaining because it is clear he is doing this half ass and still winning against guys going as fast as they can.  

• Like 1

Here's a probably dumb question.  Google doesn't turn up any similar observations so I may just be misremembering and i also haven't watched that closely.

But I feel like I remember there being tons of false starts in swimming when I was a kid and watched the olympics.  Like almost every race at least one, to the point that the rule was you were DQ'ed after the 2nd time  you did it.  I know it happened once this year because google told me, but I haven't seen any.

Has something changed?  Is the technology somehow better at prompting the swimmers?  Is the platform different?  Are they just better at it now like everything else?  Or am I remembering way more of them than there really were?

11 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Here's a probably dumb question.  Google doesn't turn up any similar observations so I may just be misremembering and i also haven't watched that closely.

But I feel like I remember there being tons of false starts in swimming when I was a kid and watched the olympics.  Like almost every race at least one, to the point that the rule was you were DQ'ed after the 2nd time  you did it.  I know it happened once this year because google told me, but I haven't seen any.

Has something changed?  Is the technology somehow better at prompting the swimmers?  Is the platform different?  Are they just better at it now like everything else?  Or am I remembering way more of them than there really were?

Apparently false starts are an automatic DQ in swimming now too.

11 minutes ago, piranesi said:

They have changed the rules for both swimming and track. One false start and done, no warnings.

There was a Spanish swimmer who false started, but was allowed back in because apparently the crowd was too loud at the time. He finished last in his heat anyway.

Triple Jump was just great. There was a young Venezuelan hyping the crowd up like a cocky young babyface, and she took the lead, and then the Colombian who had been in the lead basically did the same thing, said that it was her crowd, got them clapping too, and then just crushed it. . 

Goddamn this is some electric track.

Andre DeGrasse is FAST. I am totally fine with losing to Bolt in the final, he's a complete freak of nature and the best sprinter ever. I'd really rather beat the drug cheat though.

That South African just ran the 400 meters in 43 seconds... that's an average of 10.75 for each hundred meters. That's absolutely otherworldly.