DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

Oh, how did I forget this abomination?  I like Will Ospreay quite a bit (and Marty Scurll, who also uses the same move), but the Essex Destroyer may be my least favorite move evaaaaaa!.  Basically, it's a Canadian Destroyer used as a rope rebound move.  Ospreay bounces off the rope, runs toward his opponent, flips over his opponent's shoulder, and grabs him in a facelock to pull the opponent backwards as he flips over him.

Not great quality but here's a video.

It's be a fine counter to a running opponent if the guy taking the bump landed on his back.  So naturally, the opponent over-rotates and spikes himself on his head.  Ugh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

There's also the kata hajime.... which is a blatant choke and I'm not sure how logistically thst was ever considered legal. 

Are chokes even illegal any more?  Samoa Joe uses a rear naked choke, Bayley has used a guillotine choke, and the hell's gate is a gogo plata which is also a choke.  

• Like 1

The announcers' explanation always was that it illegal to constrict the windpipe but not the blood going around. Thus good ol' Amerikan holds like the Weaver lock were kosher but dastardly Asiatic sleepers were often against the rules. The cobra clutch/dreaded shinninomake/kata hajime restricted the bloodflow from the brain, causing incredible pain and eventual blackout. The Asiatic spike was supposed to target the jugular vein but could crush a windpipe if the intent was diabolic, cf. Mr, Gordon Solie or Lance Russel.

- RAF

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:34 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I have never seen this before, That elbow is so ultra brilliant.

- RAF

I am bummed.  There used to be a glorious tribute vid on the YouTubes dedicated to Hojo's elbow drop, but it does not look like it is there anymore.

I posted it in one of this years DVDVR March Madness threads, but it looks like the link is broken.

On 27/06/2016 at 7:24 PM, The Comedian said:

Forgot to mention how much I hate "take a back bump while pulling some part of my opponent's body into my knees" moves (lungblower/backstabber, codebreaker, prince's throne/gut check). 

1) This goes for a lot of things but ultimately if it's not dumber than an Irish Whip, I'll accept it.

2) There is zero reason a lot of these wouldn't work. If you had someone dragging you by the back of the neck full force, you'll drop. If you land on knees it'll hurt. Lungblower in particular works on displaced impact like a Stunner. Sure they're set up with heavy cooperation but that's a matter of both looking good and being safer which I can't exactly criticize.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2016 at 8:49 PM, Curt McGirt said:

What in the living bleeding hell was THAT?!

Shit.

16 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Stan Hansen's Lariat is my favorite finisher. There's something in the simplistic beauty of running at a guy, using a full rotation of your arm to swing through a person's chest

Nasty Lariatossss by Stan Hansen. Kenta Kobashi's as well.

5 hours ago, MADCAP said:

I'm a sucker for Gail Kim's Eat Da Feet.

Good move.

4 hours ago, MADCAP said:

I'm a sucker for Gail Kim's Eat Da Feet.

Phrasing...

It has to be the Diamond Cutter because it was second only to DDP's charisma as a reason why he got over with the crowd and eventually won the WCW title.  Not sure if a finisher could do more.

11 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Phrasing...

It has to be the Diamond Cutter because it was second only to DDP's charisma as a reason why he got over with the crowd and eventually won the WCW title.  Not sure if a finisher could do more.

Diamond Cutter was so over as it looked great, came out of nowhere, the reaction to it and how protected the move was.

In my opening post, I said there's more finisher kickouts and what this means: Undertaker's Tombstone, John Cena's Attitude Adjustment, AJ Styles' Styles Clash etc.

I can only remember Goldberg kicking out of the Diamond Cutter at Halloween Havoc 1998 as DDP was too hurt to get the cover sooner. Great match. Goldberg's best ever IMHO.

1 minute ago, JonnyLaw said:

I kind of hate the Big Ending. 

I agree, I just don't see how it would hurt to fall on someone as beefy as Big E, not to mention that Big E is the perfect candidate to revive the jackhammer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, supremebve said:

I agree, I just don't see how it would hurt to fall on someone as beefy as Big E, not to mention that Big E is the perfect candidate to revive the jackhammer.

This reminds me of a point I frequently forget to make; why does no one ever "learn" an awesome new finishing move. It seems like everyone gets stuck with one on day one and that's it.

12 hours ago, Skeeball Wizard said:

This reminds me of a point I frequently forget to make; why does no one ever "learn" an awesome new finishing move. It seems like everyone gets stuck with one on day one and that's it.

Miz was given the figure four, but I wouldn't exactly say he learned it.

• Like 1