DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

I am so buzzed about Thor that I completely forgot that I heard zilch about the Black Panther joint. 

No leaked photos, nothing, and it's supposed to be released in less than a year.

The number of people in the YouTube comments that do not recognize The Immigrant Song by Led Zepplin is disheartening.  Fucking kids today, I swear..

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Hopefully, they also work in No Quarter in the picture.

No Quarter has no blatantly Viking related lyrics, though.

I would probably lose my shit if one of the slower scenes in the movie had a symphonic version of Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You.

Someone at Marvel Studios really digs Zep, not that I am complaining.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

"The winds of Thor are blowing cold"

Not a Viking lyric? 

I remembered "the devil mocks their every step," but I totally brain farted on the first verses.

I'm good with Immigrant Song only.  No Quarter is a bit too acid sounding for this, yes?

Or maybe not, since there are aliens and magic and immortal cosmic beings and Asgardians wielding akimbo AR-15s in this fucking movie.  What do I know anyway?

I just want to hear the "official" explanation from The Grandmaster in his best Brad Bellflower voice about how he found a gladiator helmet big enough to fit the Hulk.

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think my love of immigrant song is partially tainted by the Harris Twins using it as their entrance music. 

Knowing that actually makes me hate the Immigrant Song a little.

This looks pretty good to me.  Not just because Hulk and Planet Hulk elements are involved either,  I like everything about that trailer. I wouldn't say Thor 1 sucked but....  it was kind of there for me and all the stuff between him and Natalie Portman was cringe.  Now,   Thor: The Dark World,   THAT sucked.  It was a step above Clash of the Titans bad.  But this one looks awesome. 

• Like 1

It's weird. Given the shakeup over Infinity War, with it now being one movie, I've lost total faith in seeing a satisfying conclusion to what is fucking YEARS worth of movies building up to this massive event.

And on the other hand, I almost don't care because I'll still have Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok looks cool as hell.

They say its one movie, but I still believe some of it will continue from one movie to the next.  My guess is it's going to be like the Infinity Gauntlet where Thanos kills almost all of the Marvel Universe heroes.  Then the next chapter will be the remaining heroes either trying to pick up the pieces to stop Thanos, or like Spider-Man assembling a ragtag team of new Avengers to pick up the slack.  

It does beg the question why they'd interrupt the war for a year, while Ant-Man and Captain Marvel do their solo projects.

I wonder if people  have patience for a one-year gap these days between parts of a movie. LOTR was 15 ish years ago. I guess the hobbit ones were more recent. Plus, you have a year for stuff to get leaked/spoiled.

The issue is audiences have started reacting negatively to the concept of paying full price to only get half a movie.  The final 2 Hunger Games movies suffered because of this.  The Divergent series' attempt at it flopped so hard they didn't even make the second movie.  Even the Hobbitt movies suffered diminishing returns with each successive installment.

A very smart move by Marvel to steer away from that branding.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EVA said:

The issue is audiences have started reacting negatively to the concept of paying full price to only get half a movie.  The final 2 Hunger Games movies suffered because of this.  The Divergent series' attempt at it flopped so hard they didn't even make the second movie.  Even the Hobbitt movies suffered diminishing returns with each successive installment.

Well, it's already happening, sorta.

The Infinity Stones have had multiple introductions in several MCU movies, so it's really no stretch to continue to weave the IW major metaplot through the fabric of subsequent movies following the formal introduction in Infinity War.

Then you can build up to the cosmic showdown shit hit the fan movie that used to be IW Part II without the individual IW films having a combined nine hour runtime and end up overstuffed with cameos..

Don't watch the new GoTG trailer unless you want to see 75% of the movie in under five minutes.

I did get a kick out of Baby Groot punching the shit out of the catfish looking thingies for no reason and Rocket scolding him with, "NO, THEY DIDN'T LOOK AT YOU FUNNY~!"

16 hours ago, EVA said:

Personally, I don't have an issue with dividing movies into two parts, mostly because a night at the movies for me and the wife or me and a couple of our kids isn't that much relative to our income level.  I would prefer not to wait a year before movies.  

What I'd like to see studios do is release parts 1 and 2 at the same time, so that the audience still ends up paying to see twice to see both parts of the movie, but see the complete story on consecutive nights or the same weekend or whatever.  But a lot of people wouldn't/couldn't double up that way, so it would still end up affecting the bottom line.