DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Spider-Man: Homecoming trailer was very good. Really like Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Marvel Cinematic Universe's Vulture looks good. After Batman, Spidey has the second best villains. MCU's hit and miss with villains. Hope Tony Stark isn't in it too much even with the Holland/Robert Downey Jr. chemistry. I want Spider-Man to do things himself.

In the trailer looks like Spidey is wearing the homemade Spidey suit which I like, we had a brief glimpse of it in Captain America: Civil War. Not so keen on somebody finding who Spider-Man is already.

Either Downey doesn't want to, or they've decided his character works better as the snarky number 2 character who constantly undercuts the lead. Or both.

• Like 3

The Mandarin like most of the MCU villains is inconsequential.  IM3 is a delightful tale of Tony Stark coming to terms with his past and overcoming his self-doubts to find the hero within to save the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

The Mandarin like most of the MCU villains is inconsequential.  IM3 is a delightful tale of Tony Stark coming to terms with his past and overcoming his self-doubts to find the hero within to save the day.

But from the moment you saw a suit get destroyed and saw Tony not be in it, you knew Tony would never be in actual harm's way. This is a fundamental flaw in storytelling. (And I'm not even getting into the self-regenerating thing that is a blatant deus ex thing so no one who matters gets hurt.)

He has zero consequences for what he chooses or doesn't choose to do.  So his character's arc is meaningless.  

The Mandarin being inconsequential is a humongous problem.  It would be like making a Batman movie where The Joker isn't his equal.  He is THE Iron Man villain. He's the one that's supposed to ruin Tony's life in a way that's never been done (magic defeating technology).  But instead, we got an actor pretending to be The Mandarin (who, not insignificantly, is SIR BEN KINGSLEY --  a man that can act circles around anyone else in this movie).  We get that second act with him and the SUPER annoying kid trying to tell us, oh yeah, this Mandarin guy blew up everything. And finally, that horrifically shot & edited fight scene between the absolutely awful Guy Pierce fighting 20 suits. 

In short, fuck Iron Man 3.  It is easily the worst of the MCU movies. 

• Like 5

I didn't like the Mandarin fake-out, but that did't prevent me from enjoying the movie.  Personally, I'd have it in my.... upper third of Marvel movies, at least.  I'll watch IM3 again long before I catch any of the Thor flicks, Daredevil, any of the FF films, the second Hulk movie (I kinda like the Ang Lee film), Electra, the Punisher films, etc.

In an era where every villain seems to be shooting for the chatty cult of personality Joker/Loki deal, I really enjoyed Malekith as a singular primordial evil.

Not doing the IM3 thing in depth again but basically it's a lot of parts I liked that formed a lacking whole overall. The first hour or so is probably among the best stuff Marvel has done but the back end does a lot to invalidate it so meh.

• Like 2

I'm with @J.T.@Dolfan in NYC and @The Unholy Dragon on Iron Man 3.

Iron Man 3 is the most divisive Marvel Studios film and one of the most divisive comic book films ever mainly for what they did to The Mandarin. Sir. Ben Kingsley’s Mandarin was great in the trailers and in the film before the reveal…that he’s played by a drunken actor called Trevor Slattery. The Mandarin is a creation by Aldrich Killian so all the attention is directed at him which gives Killian anonymity to do what he does. I have no problem with Sir. Ben Kingsley’s performance pre and post reveal as it’s great. I just wish we got The Mandarin before the twist for the whole film as he was menacing and Killian was a step down as villain from that Mandarin, a missed opportunity. We have again a businessman with a grudge like in the previous two Iron Man films. That’s my main Iron Man 3 criticism.

My two other complaints are Tony Stark builds crappy suits and there are times in the film Stark controls the Mark XLII without wearing it. When watching it you’re unsure/preoccupied if he’s in it or not and if it’s the latter, you don’t care as much as Tony isn’t at risk. I go back and forth on whether I like the removal of Tony Stark’s arc reactor as well, usually against it.

• Like 2

You know, to some degree Iron Man 3 really creates the question of why Tony is ever actually in the armour at this point. Something the comics slide on because comics have their own internal logic. But bridging to Extremis being adapted to have his armour as an extension of himself would have gone a long way toward putting him back in the thick of it.

Hindsight and whatnot. Anyway.

Civil War explained that. He quit Super-heroing to be with Pepper, and then that relationship broke down and left him bereft. So now he's back in the suit, backputting himself in danger because he's heartbroken/ has a death wish/ is an adrenalin junkie/ thinks if he gets badly hurt Pepper will come back to him.

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Civil War explained that. He quit Super-heroing to be with Pepper, and then that relationship broke down and left him bereft. So now he's back in the suit, backputting himself in danger because he's heartbroken/ has a death wish/ is an adrenalin junkie/ thinks if he gets badly hurt Pepper will come back to him.

He actually didn't quit at all.  He said he trashed all his suits and then they had to "mop up HYDRA and then Ultron and then and then and then."  It was probably a matter of Tony making the grand gesture like he was going to quit but never actually following through with it.  Sort of like a couple who have been together a long time but the guy always getting gold feet about getting married when the girl wants them to get married.  Something always getting in the way.   

Actually everything was explained well enough in AoU with Stark's Peace In Our Time comment. 

Until Stark can come up with the magic bullet that keeps the world safe without him having to come in for the big save, he will always feel obligated to put on the armor.

Civil War further hammered the point home and Stark feels even more obligation to continue being Iron Man since he feels he cannot even count on his fellow superheroes to "do the right thing."

I think that Stark started off being an adrenaline junkie / power tripper, but the Chitauri invasion fundamentally changed the way he thinks about himself and his role as a superhero protector / guardian.  That's the ONE thing that IM3 did a smashing job of illustrating.

• Like 1

Except the problem with Iron Man 3 establishes that he has PTSD, and it's kind of jettisoned midway through.  If they had done something at the end to seed that he wasn't completely over it and was thinking of an AI armor to protect the world from cosmic threats I felt it would've made more sense and tied in together a lot better.  

18 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I still prefer Iron Man 2.

I liked it until the huge fight at the end, where it hit me that I was just watching a cartoon.  CG characters in a massive battle with CG characters.  Took me right out of the movie.  Probably irrational but what can ya do?

• Like 1