DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm fine with this.

Hide contents

We already know Pete loses the suit, and I'm guessing even when he does get back in Stark's good grace he won't be given a suit with such power.

I understand why Tony Stark's in this as Robert Downey Jr's the face of the MCU, I like Peter to make more things himself. Not keen on the AI aspect.

I've watched it like 10 times.

Like, it's my third most anticipated movie of the three Marvel ones this year. But, as far as a teaser raising my level of interest in something, that's like an all-timer.

• Like 2

I'm very curious as to why Loki is there with the Grandmaster in the stadium watching Thor and Hulk fight. The end of Dark World made him a villain again, but I was kind of hoping he'd be a hero in this one since it concerns the fate of Asgard. But, who knows! I do like how he looks hella fuckin' nervous when Hulk bursts through the gate, though.

• Like 1

The trailer looks cool, but... 

Am I the only one who cringed a little when they blatantly did the meme: 

*record scratch*

"Yup that's me! I'll bet you're wondering how I got myself into this!"

• Like 3

FUCK YES!

This is basically everything I've wanted from the Thor movies. To me, these movies should have been psychadelic black light posters come to life. At the very least, they should be something similar to weird and crazy animated movies from the 70s and 80s, like Heavy Metal. They finally look like they've hit that tone. Bonus points for casting Goldblum and letting him basically play himself because let's be real, that guy is already alien as fuck. If he's just playing himself, he fits right in on an alien world.

• Like 2

Finally, an apeshit insane Thor movie that is absurdly 60's Kirby..

The ingredient that was missing in the secret sauce for the previous Thor movies was campy comedy.  Who knew? 

I'm thrilled that the success of Guardians of the Galaxy has finally emboldened Marvel to throw off the dark yoke of Nolanism in their films.  Comic book films can be semi-serious and entertaining without being dark and gritty.

And what Matt said.  They finally used the fucking song.

19 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm very curious as to why Loki is there with the Grandmaster in the stadium watching Thor and Hulk fight. The end of Dark World made him a villain again, but I was kind of hoping he'd be a hero in this one since it concerns the fate of Asgard.

I never really considered Loki to be a villain per se, although his track record with the citizens of earth speaks otherwise. 

He has his issues with his brother, but Loki has always been an anti-hero to me.  He does the right thing when it suits his purposes, and it usually done for (what he thinks is) the betterment of Asgard.

Loki is the God of Mischief and Chaos.  He just likes fucking with people.

And let's talk about the 1:15 mark of the vid. That's some nice face paint... wait a sec...

kratos.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I always found (historical) Loki to be a "let it all burn," still being resentful of being adopted by Odin and wanting to bring it all down via Ragnarok. 

Comics wise, Loki has always sought to rule Asgard even though he's destined to destroy it.  I think that was pretty evident during the war against Surtur in the late 80's and 90's.

In mythology, yeah.  Loki is the enemy of the Aesir - Vanir and it is his allegiance to the giants that pretty much stirs up Ragnarok.. 

He and Angr-Boda have the worst DNA compatability in the mythological world since every time they have sex, they birth some horrific monster into the world.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they are going to stick to Poetic Edda in the movie and give Hela her Darth Vader-esque, "Loki, I am your daughter." moment.  From the looks of the trailer, they're not going to address that particular filial bond.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

That trailer was so good. Yeah, Thor has definitely jumped ahead of Homecoming and Guardians for me.

Same here. Hopefully Thor: Ragnarok does to Thor like Iron Man with um Iron Man and Captain America in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I forgot Tessa's in this film despite seeing the teaser trailer. I suck.

It is easy to forget that Karl mother fucking Urban is playing Skurge the Executioner since he is in like five seconds of the trariler.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It is easy to forget that Karl mother fucking Urban is playing Skurge the Executioner since he is in like five seconds of the trariler.

I forgot Karl Urban as well. When his name's mentioned I think back to Dredd. Really good film and performance by Urban in the title role. Glad I watched it at the cinema and went on to buy it on DVD. Shame the sequel didn't happen.

• Like 1