DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Spoiler

Regarding Ego being a "God", he went out of his way to say "little g", so that was enough to let you know his power wasn't limitless. That's why he needed Peter, because he couldn't do it by himself.

Also, Knowhere is in the head of a dead celestial, so it's already been established in the MCU they can die.

This is nitpicking, but regarding Ego

Spoiler

I understand why he needed Yondu to pick up Peter, but why did he need him to collect his other children? If he didn't care for the other mothers like he did Peter's he could go back without jeopardizing his feelings being involved, and since he had no trouble visiting the planets to impregnate the women I don't think he'd have concerns about being there too long to regenerate. I understand narratively why it has to happen, but it felt like he created an unnecessary loose end for himself.

Spoiler

I just don't think he really loved Peter's mother. "I loved her so much I had to kill her." Sounds pretty much like every psycho ever.

Spoiler

I knew it was coming after Big Dave brought it up earlier, but I'll be damned if I didn't almost piss my pants when he yelled "MY NIPPLES!!!!" 

On the flipside, Yondou's death was an unexpected gutpunch and Drax comforting Baby Groot got some very audible sniffles from the audience, me included. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That was fucking great. Full stop.

Hide contents

I literally laughed so hard I couldn't breathe at the toe

So happy I wasn't alone in this. I'm not sure I have ever laughed so hard before.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So happy I wasn't alone in this. I'm not sure I have ever laughed so hard before.

Bare minimum, it's the funniest thing I've seen since "puny God"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bare minimum, it's the funniest thing I've seen since "puny God"

Oh man, same here. I lost my breath over that gag. That was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time and everyone's reactions were incredible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Good Lord...

I know, right?  Can you believe the SIZE of those antennas? ;)

The ending brought all kinds of feels.  It was slightly unnerving but understandable that there was a lot of napkins rustling and people reacting in various ways.  I couldn't even imagine being Peter, not only did his mom died but he finds out Ego killed her, and after killing him his father figure dies.  That was just utterly heartbreaking.  What really got me is in the first movie Peter saves Gamora by giving her his space suit.  Fast forward to this and with Yondu doing the same thing it was a "Like father, like son" moment.  And then there's the funeral with people crying and reacting as they were.  But the end shot of Rocket shedding a tear knowing how similar him and Yondu were added that extra bit of heaviness to the situation.  They definitely needed those post-movie scenes to get the crowd in a good mood.

i still need to read the full credits to see all that was in it, but there were some definite surprises.  I was happy to see Stallone in it and by the looks of it I'll be glad to see him return with the original Guardians.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The difference in the tone of the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 comments between the LOVED IT crowd and Niners / Mark is hilarious.

It is mildly frustrating to see people love some of the stuff I hated.

But I'm used to it. ;)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It is mildly frustrating to see people love some of the stuff I hated.

But I'm used to it. ;)

To be fair, I definitely see where you're coming from.  I loved the music a ton but it was a bit more in your face than the first one.  I didn't expect a bit of music theory in the middle of the movie yet there we were.  I didn't hate it though like you did.

I just thought it was excessive. Felt like a new song every 5 minutes. That was my main issue with the whole movie.

Again, I liked parts of it. Didn't hate it, but obviously the novelty of the first one can't be replicated.

• Like 1