DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Cheers, @Niners Fan in CT, @(BP), @Cristobal and @Brian Fowler ranking the MCU Movies.

My turn:

1. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

3. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

4. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

5. Iron Man (2008)

6. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

7. Black Panther (2018)

8. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

9. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

10. Doctor Strange (2016)

11. Thor (2011)

12. Ant-Man (2015)

13. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

14. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

15. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

16. Iron Man 3 (2013)

17. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

18. Iron Man 2 (2010)

19. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

• Like 1

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Avengers
  4. Thor: Ragnarok
  5. Iron Man
  6. Captain America: the First Avenger
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  8. Spider-man: Homecoming
  9. Black Panther
  10. Captain America: Civil War
  11. Iron Man 2
  12. Iron Man 3
  13. Ant-Man
  14. Doctor Strange
  15. Guardians of the Galaxy
  16. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  17. Thor
  18. Incredible Hulk
  19. Thor: The Dark World
  • Like 1

Thanos looks in the MCU:

Related image

Avengers Assemble (2012).

Image result for thanos avengers 2012

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

Best is definitively Avengers: Infinity War. 

• Like 2

Ranking these movies gets tougher and tougher...

1) GotG Vol. 2
2) Thor Ragnarok
3) Avengers: Infinity War
4) GotG
5) Avengers
6) Spider-Man Homecoming
7) Captain America: Winter Soldier
8) Iron Man
9) Civil War
10) Avengers: Age of Ultron
11) Black Panther
12) Ant-Man
13) Iron Man 3
14) Doctor Strange
15) Thor 2
16) Iron Man 2
17) Captain America
18) Thor
19) The Incredible Hulk

Man, looking at this list makes me thinking I need to re-arrange some stuff in the middle. I used to really love Iron Man, but I doubt it holds up as well and it probably falls behind some more recent stuff. I think Captain America is boring as fuck and that, Thor, and Hulk all suck. When I finally watched Thor 2 I thought it was way better than it should have been. Black Panther should probably be higher...

My top 3 or 4 I'm pretty comfortable with. Cosmic MCU is the best MCU. We already talked about GotG Vol. 2, but as much as I loved that movie, I wound up loving it even more after watching that video essay about it. Thor Ragnarok is pretty close to scratching every movie itch I could possibly have. Over time, Infinity War may fall a bit because I value fun a lot with these movies and that's probably the most series MCU movie.

Spider-Man feels like it should be higher, but it's tough to break through those top 5. Even still, it's maybe the best love letter to John Hughes movies I've ever seen. Great villain, the best Peter Parker and Spider-Man, and the talk between Vulture and Peter is cooooooooooold bloooooooooooded.

Age of Ultron doesn't get the respect it should get. That is still a very good movie even if you can tell Joss was pretty much phoning in parts of it. It's interesting to think about Avengers 2 and Iron Man 2. Joss and Favreau both delivered home runs with their first movies and with their second movies you could see that both guys were just pretty much over making these types of movies. Even with that sort of fatigue, Avengers 2 still winds up being really good.

Much like the hate for Seth, I'll never quite understand why people shit on Civil War.

• Like 2

Guardians of the Galaxy
Winter Soldier
Captain America
Guardians 2
Avengers
Ragnarok
Civil War
Homecoming
Infinity War
Black Panther
Iron Man
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Thor
Iron Man 3
Age of Ultron
Incredible Hulk
Thor 2
Iron Man 2

That's where I'm at right now. Some things like Iron Man vs Ant Man vs Doctor Strange could definitely be flipped. 

• Like 1

I feel like I have Doctor Strange ranked too low. It's one of the more visually interesting Marvel movies. The effects are like Inception's, but on steroids. A couple of those action scenes are really cool. The end of the movie is pretty clever and isn't like something we've seen before in a MCU movie and there's something funny about Strange being so persistent with the Eye that he defeats Dormammu by annoying him.

And yet, it's kinda unremarkable? Cumberbatch's New York accent is weird and is still weird, but I accept it a little more now. Kaecilius belongs to the group of lame villains and was maybe one of the last to go in that group before these guys started being more evolved, like with Vulture, Killmonger, Thanos, etc. Hell, he may as well have been the dark elf guy from Thor 2.

I need to watch it again because I remember thinking it was pretty cool, but I wasn't blown away. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I feel like I have Doctor Strange ranked too low. It's one of the more visually interesting Marvel movies. The effects are like Inception's, but on steroids. A couple of those action scenes are really cool. The end of the movie is pretty clever and isn't like something we've seen before in a MCU movie and there's something funny about Strange being so persistent with the Eye that he defeats Dormammu by annoying him.

And yet, it's kinda unremarkable? Cumberbatch's New York accent is weird and is still weird, but I accept it a little more now. Kaecilius belongs to the group of lame villains and was maybe one of the last to go in that group before these guys started being more evolved, like with Vulture, Killmonger, Thanos, etc. Hell, he may as well have been the dark elf guy from Thor 2.

I need to watch it again because I remember thinking it was pretty cool, but I wasn't blown away. 

You know what I love?

The Dr. Strange end credits theme:

• Like 1

Since @Craig H mentioned Dr. Strange. Someone on Reddit has an interesting theory about that movie and Infinity War...

Spoiler

Is the way people were disappearing in Infinity War the same way Kaecilius and his minions vanished into another dimension towards the end?

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You know what I love?

The Dr. Strange end credits theme:

Oh man, I forgot all about the very "let's make this sound like Sherlock" theme/score. I sounds like something that would play at the end of an episode of Sherlock. If it doesn't sound like that, then, at least the first part, sounds like the midi track from a Sega Genesis billiards game. This isn't to say it sounds bad, it doesn't and it's pretty good, but you can tell what it was inspired by.

Giving this a shot.  Categorizing  a little so it's not just listmania.

Loved:

1) GotG Vol. 2
2) GotG
3) Avengers: Infinity War
4) Spider-Man Homecoming

Liked a lot:

5) Captain America: Winter Soldier
6) Avengers
7) Civil War
8) Iron Man

9) Captain America

Liked but felt it had issues:

10) Thor Ragnarok

It was okay:

11) Thor

Disliked:

12) Avengers: Age of Ultron
13) Iron Man 3
14) Iron Man 2

Haven't seen:

The Incredible Hulk
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Thor 2
Black Panther

Not part of the MCU but can eat a dick:

Ang Lee's Hulk

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He's great. He manages to both come across as a blend of Tony's sarcasm and insecurities with Banner's just buried rage, and as a completely detached machine, with just his voice. The only MCU villain I would definitely rank above Ultron is Killmonger. Maybe Loki. That's it.

I can't get over how much better Ultron would have been without those silly "lips".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nate said:

I can't get over how much better Ultron would have been without those silly "lips".

I liked when Ultron looked like Ultron.  When he "evolved" to look like a CGI mess with lips and a perfectly clear human voice, it was just shitty. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I liked when Ultron looked like Ultron.  When he "evolved" to look like a CGI mess with lips and a perfectly clear human voice, it was just shitty. 

Same here.

• Like 2