DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2A: THE MIZ vs. TOMOHIRO ISHII

MM16: 2nd RDA - THE MIZ vs. TOMOHIRO ISHII  

98 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

The Miz represent the lineage of great heels such as The Mighty Atlas and Hans Schmidt. Real, proper heels. No one wants to cheer The Miz. Who would want to cheer The Miz? He's The Miz. He goes out there, exists and is-by proxy-extremely annoying, gets REAL heat-and then gets punched in the face by Roman Reigns. Or kicked in the heat by Kofi. Or AJ Styles or or or OR. It's formulaic, but it's a wonderful formula pro wrestling is based on. You may like cool heels-maybe you gush over Ric Flair saying how many cars he has and how many women he's slept with. Maybe you love Shawn Michaels making goofy faces and doing crotch chops. Me-I need a Bill Dundee to piss of Jerry Lawler and make him punch him in the face. And that's what Miz does. No wonder his feud with Lawler ruled.

Ishii was trained by Tenryu and Choshu, and if you couldn't guess I like Riki Choshu a lot more than The Mighty Atlas, Dundee or Lawler for that matter. Ishii kind of has an advantage here. For years he was this really good midcarder, occassionally popping up in awesome brawls in a Big Japan or a Big Mouth Loud. The Wataru Inoue carry jobs were incredible. Finally New Japan pushed him and he started having all these great matches and it seemed like he could do no wrong. Yet here we are. His matches never relied on hierarchy as much as, say, Honma's do now, but it was definitely there and it has been lost over time. That is most unfortunate as selling is one of his strongest suits and what made so many of his matches worked. He dropped stuff like that and replaced it with more modern puro tropes and now I'm somehow supposed to believe that is five foot tall guy is some incredible badass guys two heads taller than him can't beat in strike exchanges. I'm said to have seen it happen but I have really grown tired of the one type of match Ishii insists on working over and over again, and him doing stuff like no-selling during the entire WK match and trading suplexes in the rematch has done him no favours.

Keep wrestling classic. Vote Miz.

• Like 12

Would it be horribly wrong to vote for Miz just because he was in Santa's Little Helper with Paige?

Ok, then how about just the idea that a bro from a season of The Real World became a quality villain on RAW?

Ishii is one of those guys that I just don't "get".  I've seen a good number of his matches, but i have yet to figure out why everyone is so high on him.  I watched the Shibata match from WK10 last night, and it was a lot of fun, but I didn't think it was as good as most people made it sound.  Maybe I should watch some of his Honma matches, although he's another one I don't quite "get".

Miz has been pretty awesome for a while, though.  

Would it be horribly wrong to vote for Miz just because he was in Santa's Little Helper with Paige?

Ok, then how about just the idea that a bro from a season of The Real World became a quality villain on RAW?

I wanted so badly to hate that movie yet I just couldn't.  It's corny as fuck but it was a surprisingly fun movie.  And Paige didn't hurt either.  And I'm with you on Real World, was always a fan of his from the start.

Miz has gotten worlds better once there was a focus on non-wrestling segments the past couple years.  It wasn't until his match with Jericho that I realized how good he's gotten.  But I liked what I saw from Iishi so I'm going with him.  Honestly, I'd be fine with either guy moving on.

Who looked at The Miz, who is a grade A chickenshit, cocky heel, and thought it was a good idea to make him a no-nonsense bad ass a few years back? Remember that shit? Or was it a nightmare? 

I feel the criticisms of Ishii earlier in the thread are pretty valid. He's become a bit too generic and has lost the underdog presence he used so effectively earlier in his rise up the New Japan card. That Tanahashi G1 match from 2014 at Korakuen is a classic example of what made him so special. He's still really good though. 

Ishii is one of those guys that I just don't "get".  I've seen a good number of his matches, but i have yet to figure out why everyone is so high on him.  I watched the Shibata match from WK10 last night, and it was a lot of fun, but I didn't think it was as good as most people made it sound.  Maybe I should watch some of his Honma matches, although he's another one I don't quite "get".

Miz has been pretty awesome for a while, though.  

Aw, I loved Ishii/Shibata. 

I like Miz as a stooging, preening heel, but he's not a guy that I go out of my way to watch, and Ishii is. 

Not voting because I don't know who Ishii is. But Miz is an awesome heel. There are also a suspicious amount of people who have had their best runs as Miz's current friend/lackey/etc. Alex Riley is possibly the most worthless wrestler imaginable, except when he was The Miz's stooge. Sandow was ridiculously over doing one of the dumbest shticks in memory, and a huge part of that is because of The Miz playing his role so well. R-Truth's best work came with Miz. And so did John Morrison (as great as MNM was).

That's a pattern.

Face Miz doesn't connect with anyone, but even with that he's willing to let Cesaro swing his head into a ringside barricade or let Bray Wyatt beat the crap out of him.

Miz is a great toolbag heel.

How is that an achievement? Most of the cast members I've ever seen on that show are natural heels. It's probably a casting guideline.

Not voting because I don't know who Ishii is. But Miz is an awesome heel. There are also a suspicious amount of people who have had their best runs as Miz's current friend/lackey/etc. Alex Riley is possibly the most worthless wrestler imaginable, except when he was The Miz's stooge. Sandow was ridiculously over doing one of the dumbest shticks in memory, and a huge part of that is because of The Miz playing his role so well. R-Truth's best work came with Miz. And so did John Morrison (as great as MNM was).

That's a pattern.

Face Miz doesn't connect with anyone, but even with that he's willing to let Cesaro swing his head into a ringside barricade or let Bray Wyatt beat the crap out of him.

Miz is a great toolbag heel.

Morrison's best work was because he was a heel which he hasn't been until now in Lucha Underground which is also equivalent if not better than his time in WWE.  Him working with Miz at the time is entirely inconsequential.

I am abstaining from voting. The Miz has been an instant channel changer for me if he is not in the ring with someone I care about and I don't know much about Ishii.

How is that an achievement? Most of the cast members I've ever seen on that show are natural heels. It's probably a casting guideline.

Quality villain, not just irksome person on a reality show.