DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2016.

The Natural

Where did all this talk of Bray winning come from?  One of my friends who barely watches wrestling but will watch the big shows was saying "I think Bray wins"..   is it just based on the ending of this past week?

Bray is the most logical choice if you want to build up excitement. Him being champion would be an interesting direction to go in. There seems to be an obvious storyline of him winning and the Authority realizing he needs to be stopped. Bray also has more credibility than the rest of the roster since his only losses are to Cena, Reigns and Undertaker. 

Personally I wish a complete wildcard would win. Like R-Truth or an NXT guy, to show it could happen. 

Final 4 are Reigns, Kofi, Woods and Big E. Reigns tries to toss Kofi first, but he escapes elimination by ding something athletic and weird, like he does. Roman throws E over the top, but E holds on to his arm and is dragging him out too, Woods is lifting Roman's legs... and then Kofi comes back in and tips all three of them out.

He then decides he's the Dark Lord Sauron and Woods & E are his Ringwraiths. Because WWE likes buying expensive costumes for people at this time of year. Loses to Roman at Wrestlemania and they go right back to being the New Day again with no explanation for why they aren't taking over the World any more.

• Like 2

Who has ever asked Vince when/if he was going to get rid of the ring?

I think Cornette or someone when ranting on Kevin Dunn and or Vince Russo (perhaps both) at some point years ago said their dream idea of a wrestling show was a show with no wrestling what so ever. It would be a show with just backstage segments and storylines. The ultimate male soap opera.

I'm really surprised with the WWE Network and how many former soap writers apparently do and have worked for the WWE, no one has pitched a WWE soap. Basically you take all the stupid romance stories they did (Lana/Ziggler/Rusev) that made no sense on tv because they were being played out on twitter on and WWE.com where 99% of the audience at home wasn't paying attention and suddenly give them a backstory. It couldn't be any worse than Total Divas and be any more scripted.

As for Bray, yeah he isn't gonna get the ball to run with Vince at the helm. I know people have probably been like "Mr. McMahon people will buy into this guy as champion and Vince is all "I STILL DON'T GET IT. WHATS WITH THE BEARD AND THE TATTOOS? YOU KNOW IN MY DAY THE TOP BAD GUYS WERE CLEAN SHAVEN AND DIDN'T LOOK LIKE THE MOONDOG'S FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE THE BIG ONE CARRY AROUND A GIANT BONE...MAKE A NOTE OF THAT STEPH. BRAUN SHOULD CARRY AROUND A GIANT BONE".

EPIC WOOD.  I AM NUDE.  I AM GOD.  F*** YOU. -in memory of @CrankyVince

• Like 2

Vince said it in an interview somewhere once.  I remember reading it but can't remember where.  As Nice Guy Eddie said, it was something to the effect of, "people in the entertainment industry keep asking me 'when are you going to get rid of that ring?'"

We are to infer that Vince has Hollywood friends who think so highly of his creative genius that they believe he should just be creating a weekly variety show instead of wrestling.  I'm sure the story is made up and fueled by Vince's insecurities over never being anything more than a rasslin' promoter.

I see that conversation going something like;

Vince: "You know, my Hollywood friends keep asking when we're getting rid of the ring"

"No they don't."

V: "Yeah, but I do have Hollywood friends"

"No you don't"

V: "Yeah, but you could imagine what it would be like if I did"

"Sure Vince."

• Like 4

I'm probably one of the first to groan when I read fantasy booking on here, BUT...

What if Triple H eliminates Reigns - they fight at WM

Owens eliminates Brock - they fight at WM

then EITHER Undertaker comes back and wins the rumble, eliminating Bray OR Bray wins the rumble and Taker shows up at the end. 

So then you get the Mania in Texas with Taker vs Bray with Taker's life-force on the line. Bray wins, and Mania ends with Taker walking back down into the abyss with the souls of his victims pulling him down. like this, but after...undertaker.png

And I think very much of Reigns's in-ring, but Bryan was on another level in 2014 when he had that miracle match with HHH at WM. I don't think Reigns is in the place to do that, and I don't believe that HHH has changed his ideas about working long, bloated matches because the Bryan match where he effectively targeted a body part in interesting ways was an outlier and he was back to his old tricks in the match with Sting. 

• Like 1

On Bryan and Vinny show Bryan had a "scoop" that Josh is going to be in the Rumble match (of course adding "Plans may change")

If there's any truth to this I hope this isn't the case.  1. He doesn't deserve it.  2. It's a waste of a Rumble spot and 3. I'm sure they'll beat the fuck out of him but that could be lawsuit territory if they go too far.

And 4. This whole thing about him pissing people off could just be a work and we're all the fools for it.  Unlikely since I'd hope we'd be past "worked shoots" but you never know.

Maybe, but if that's the case it sure fooled a lot of people.  And if it was it doesn't make a lick of sense to do that.  Even if you want to build off that promo from Breaking Ground it's not nearly enough for them do do this.

The biggest down side to Bray winning the Rumble is its yet another reason for Steph and Hunter to do a Raw open/angle where they aren't happy that the Champ isn't 'there choice/best for business.'

Except this time it would actually be logical and somewhat compelling.

The biggest down side to Bray winning the Rumble is its yet another reason for Steph and Hunter to do a Raw open/angle where they aren't happy that the Champ isn't 'there choice/best for business.'

Except this time it would actually be logical and somewhat compelling.

I'd be fine with this if it led to an angle where they apologized to Roman publicly and begged him to get the title back. They admit that they were foolish and that he's everything they want in a champ. Then he says that he'll do it, but if he wins at WM, they have to stop trying to control the title and only show up weekly to book matches and settle disputes, maybe relay match orders from a championship committee instead of arbitrarily making the matches themselves. They agree, he wins, we get a championship committee and the Authority become figureheads instead of active participants in storylines. 

I see that conversation going something like;

Vince: "You know, my Hollywood friends keep asking when we're getting rid of the ring"

"No they don't."

V: "Yeah, but I do have Hollywood friends"

"No you don't"

V: "Yeah, but you could imagine what it would be like if I did"

"Sure Vince."

Vince is Chris Farley in Billy Madison.

• Like 1