DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

As an IU fan this is completely heartbreaking to me.

Between this, how the Rams thing went down, and how they handled the Rice/AP things last year, I think I'm just done with this sport.

Every year, I find myself questioning my continued enjoyment of football more and more. I *LOVE* the game. I coached football. I *LOVE* the game. But...it's just such an inherently dangerous game with long-term effects. I don't quite know if I can continue enjoying it because of that.
  • Like 1

18 game regular seasons though! extend the playoffs! Sad news. Randle El was one of my favorite players to watch when he was at Indiana and he was pretty exciting in Pittsburgh too.

I can't find video of it anymore, but Howie Long's "Fired Up" segment on this particular topic was just epic. He shredded the NFL big-time.

The knees issue I don't really have a lot of sympathy for, lots of people have jobs that their knees/backs have problems when they get older and that was a side effect he was well aware of at the time of playing. The memory/concussion issues is different though, especially since he played in a time they they weren't protecting players at all. I don't blame him for having second thoughts if its impacting his mental health.

The knees issue I don't really have a lot of sympathy for, lots of people have jobs that their knees/backs have problems when they get older and that was a side effect he was well aware of at the time of playing. The memory/concussion issues is different though, especially since he played in a time they they weren't protecting players at all. I don't blame him for having second thoughts if its impacting his mental health.

He wishes he played baseball. If that's an option, of course choosing football is regrettable. Poll most players and you'll get a different answer. Heck, I got a daughter on the way. If you told me I could ruin my body and she and the misses will (theoretically) never have to worry about money again, I would do it!

• Like 1

I thought about putting that in the stupidity thread, only because its goddamn ridiculous that a man who's only 36 is having those kind of issues. . . 

So you would be putting that in the stupidity thread because the NFL is stupid?

I thought about putting that in the stupidity thread, only because its goddamn ridiculous that a man who's only 36 is having those kind of issues. . . 

So you would be putting that in the stupidity thread because the NFL is stupid?

Yes. . . .

He wishes he played baseball. If that's an option, of course choosing football is regrettable. Poll most players and you'll get a different answer. Heck, I got a daughter on the way. If you told me I could ruin my body and she and the misses will (theoretically) never have to worry about money again, I would do it!

It is also a fantasy, he was an extremely late draft pick in baseball, chances are very low he would have been in MLB (and baseball players get broken too). I imagine one of the reasons he picked football was he had a better chance of making it. I mean I get the regret in hindsight, I am sure some wrestlers feel the same way, but he was an adult and knew what he was doing in regards to the leg injuries. I am guessing it is more the mental issues that led to his regrets, the article doesn't say that but I am sure that's a much bigger deal to him and more of a factor. Which is understandable.

18 game regular seasons though! extend the playoffs! Sad news. Randle El was one of my favorite players to watch when he was at Indiana and he was pretty exciting in Pittsburgh too.

I can't find video of it anymore, but Howie Long's "Fired Up" segment on this particular topic was just epic. He shredded the NFL big-time.

I remember that one.  It's the one where he said they should be going back to 14, not extending to 18, right?  Yeah, it was.

• Like 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000626890/article/gus-bradley-signs-contract-extension-with-jaguars

The Jaguars gave a one year extension to a coach who is 12-36, and promoted their DL coach to Defensive Coordinator after the previous DC was fired for having a shitty defense plan using a bad unchanging defensive scheme the head coach is using. I really need to find a new football team

Seattle GM says Marhsawn Lynch is "considering retirement". Supposedly, he and Calvin Johnson will be teaming up to play beach volleyball.

At least one of those two sentences is true.

Seattle GM says Marhsawn Lynch is "considering retirement". Supposedly, he and Calvin Johnson will be teaming up to play beach volleyball.

At least one of those two sentences is true.

I don't see Marshawn retiring. I do see Calvin retiring because Lions.

I see both retiring and forming a mighty volleyball unit. Johnson can still jump and has the height, I'm sure Lynch can like eat the volleyball or something and make that work.