DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Say good bye to every other game you thought you were going to play this year.   I think I still have Ra'Viir The Ghostclaw parked somewhere near the last Thieves' Guild quest.  That was six months ago.

Yup. I'll play it and nothing else for months, then leave someone somewhere random. Come back, think, "Oh this mod updated, gotta start from the beginning." Lather, rinse, repeat for the rest of your life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think i am still on the first mission in the middle east in Tomb Raider. Dont think i have even turned on my 360 this year.

I just started Rise of the Tomb Raider this weekend and played until I was able to set up my first base camp.

Then I went back to finishing Wolf Among Us (I'm 1/2 way through Ep 4)

But yes - your original prediction that I would finish Tomb Raider before you looks like a safe bet.

i did Wolf Among Us like 2 years ago, so i did finish that one first. :)

I thought about playing tomb raider while i was taking leave between assignments, but never got around to it. Too busy playing marvel puzzle quest and watching timm/dini toons on netflix.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I finally got my fiancee to sign up for Steam so we could play Torchlight 2 together, so that's what I'll be doing for the next couple of months.

It ticks me off greatly that those games are not available on the PlayStation.

Yeah, I'm working 2 characters through Skyrim, my Imperial Theif is running the Theives Guild quests and got her to 12.

My Nord warrior however, got bit by the Magic Menu bug.  Thankfully, it's at the start before you get the "Fus" so I don't lose hours if it hit my Theif.

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

My bitterness says to not waste your time on Destiny

I have continued on with my Watch Dogs playthrough.  Fuck Destiny for the immediate future.

32 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I picked up Dark Souls III and Ratchet & Clank Tuesday. Oh and The Division and Destiny have giant updates Tuesday.

Free time? What's that?

I have been playing Division with a buddy who has no time, so I'm only at like level 11 on that thing.

I'm debating just creating another character, racing that to 30 so I can hit the end game content.

Welp, I need new stuff to play on my PS4, so I'm buying Ratchet and Clank and Dark Souls 3. I've never played R+C before, so let's hope it's better than the other mascot platformers from Sony that I've played and not really liked too much (Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and Crash Bandicoot all have never done anything for me). 

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have continued on with my Watch Dogs playthrough.  Fuck Destiny for the immediate future.

I was all ready to buy it for the One before I realized between the game, expansions and having to buy it again for the One plus Taken King I would have spent like $200 on a stupid game where I just grind the same thing dozens of times and don't even enjoy that much.

Then I just spent $40 on Fallout 4, have played it continuously for the last two months and am so much happier.

Ripppa & Melraz would've been proud by my choice of tactics in my latest Watch Dogs mission, Stare Into The Abyss.  

Ubisoft obviously wants this scenario to begin as a firefight and end in a car chase, but why have this 50 cal heavy sniper if you aren't going to use it? 

When it came time to take Crispin out of the picture, I found a good vantage point, lined up a shot with THE DESTROYER~!, created a blackout, popped Focus, and put one straight through the plate glass window and into Crispin's brain case..  Then I broke out the Biometric Rifle, mowed down Crispin's thugs, and made off in his ride. 

No witnesses left alive and new persona assumed.  Who says identity theft isn't fun?  I even played the role and put on the Mobster oufit so I could play the role of classy criminal. 

No one would buy me as a high dollar bad guy running around in the overcoat and B-Boy jeans I usually wear around town and I certainly couldn't go waltzing in sporting my Alone Hacker Batman outfit.

And now RAW is Interracial.  This mysterious auction sponsored by the Chicago South Club just happens to be some sort of sex slave deal where my very white and very Irish hacker vigilante is introduced to an African-American damsel in distress and her tits.  Her slave name is Poppy.  I am an emancipator.  Freedom will once again grow from the barrel of a gun..

Video game coincidence that she's same woman that Aiden bumps into in the lobby of the Merlaut hotel in the opening cut scene of the game.

Nice to see a game that earns its MA rating with something other than people saying the word Fuck over and over again.

On 4/11/2016 at 9:09 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

I was the same way in Watch Dogs - I figured that I was supposed to be staying undercover for the most part, so doing random hacks of money would just not make sense.  Besides, the people fucking around and doing illegal stuff had the most money to give to begin with.

I preordered the Rift as well but I'm pretty sure I'm stuck in the May/June fulfillment cycle as well, since I haven't seen any further updates on my order.

I just got an update that mine is supposed to ship the second week of July, apparently there was an issue with a part that pushed back everyone's delivery window.

23 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I just got an update that mine is supposed to ship the second week of July, apparently there was an issue with a part that pushed back everyone's delivery window.

I got an update too, but I got lucky - mine will be shipped out by the end of April.

On 4/12/2016 at 11:50 AM, Zimbra said:

I finally got my fiancee to sign up for Steam so we could play Torchlight 2 together, so that's what I'll be doing for the next couple of months.

TL2 is one of my most played games on Steam. So much fun! After you go through a few times I recommend downloading the Synergies mod from the workshop. Also, I recommend getting Extra Chunky and Blanks Landmarks from the workshop. They just add more levels to the game world. They don't mess with the game whatsoever, just give more scenic stuff. The Blanks Landmarks mod was made from one of the designers of TL2. 

• Like 1

30 minutes in, Ratchet is exactly what I expected, and exactly what I wanted it to be--the original game's story, rebuilt with mechanics similar to every game in the series *but* the first (which had no XP, instead only giving weapon upgrades near the end and a flat 4HP that could be upgraded to 8 but took a ton of work).  Ratchet's character is definitely more in line with the later games as well--more heroic and less self-interested than the 02 version. I'm okay with that but not sure it's the best choice; I'd rather see him stay a teenaged Han Solo than be just another Luke Skywalker.  I'm expecting Qwark's villainy to be toned down to later-game levels as well, but it's way too early for that to show in his narration.

And it's fucking gorgeous.

• Like 1

Fixer Contract Epic Fail #10001.

Pick-up trucks were not built to make ramp-to-ramp jumps over the Chicago River. 

I have to hand it to the Chicago South Club.  When they come after you, they don't fuck around.  Profiler battery ran low twice during the car chase.  Finally dropped off the hooptie pick-up successfully during Attempt #3.  Hacked a bridge and then double backed across the river and made it to the stash point.

I have never played a Ratchet and Clank game before this one on PS4. Two observations. First, it is absolutely gorgeous. Second, the combat is really quite satisfying and feels very fluid. Not Dark Souls/Bloodborne fluid, but somewhere in that area. 

After much procrastination and chasing down of all available side missions, we've finally come to the end of Act II and are a couple missions into Act III. 

I'm still embroiled with my war with Iraq and the Black Viceroys and the story has dovetailed with a minor reveal concerning my team of misfit crime fighters..

Spoiler

I figured that this mysterious hacker, Raymond Kenney, would eventually factor into the story since all of Angela Balik's audio logs talk him up as an urban legend, but I never expected Raymond to turn out to be fucking T-Bone Grady or that he would join Team Dark Knight.. 

Good thing I've kept away from major spoilers.

Totally stoked about being able to free Poppy and the rest of the girls at the fucking slave auction and that bit of vigilante work unlocked the Human Trafficking investigations.

I finished all of the Performance Pack DLC content now: I've got the Biometric Rifle, dealt with the Chicago South Club's attempt to hijack ctOS in Breakthrough (I'm embellishing... It is just a glorified Criminal Convoy mission), and now Danny "SoSueMe" is no longer a threat to the Pierce clan.

If you're not messing around, the combined 3 DLC missions won't add more than an hour's worth of game time.  The Palace mission is probably the most involved.  You will actually have to come up with a decent plan to get past it.   Completing the Signature Shot and Breakthrough is just a matter of timing and using the tactics you've already come up with during normal game play.

In addition to all of that other stuff, I've finally got more leads on Vega's burner phones, this serial killer is leaving me more victims to find, and DedSec is leaving me more QR code bread crumbs to follow.  No wonder Batman never sleeps.

The Criminal Convoys are really repetitious, but at least there is just enough backstory to piss you off and motivate you to bust some heads.  So far I've foiled a bank heist, prevented a contract killing, and broken up the operations of a ring of black market human organ sellers.