DVDVR Message Board

RAW is uncomfortably personal

Brian Fowler

Guess the force-feeding of Reigns was more important; Reigns, granted, could have "mutual respect'd" Cesaro more than he did & it might have helped elevate him in mgmt's eyes.

He shook Cesaro's hand and gave him a shoulder hug.  Did Reigns need to full-on mouth kiss him, too? 

We didn't need this RAW to be a no pants edition.

So does anybody think that with Sheamus not being on RAW or even mentioned at all sets him up to cash in on Sunday?

I'd love to see Ambrose and Reigns do a straight babyface/babyface match with Regins going over clean. No swerve. No gimmicks. Nobody turns. "Loser buys the beer"

After the match, Sheamus attempts to cash in and is teased as the new Authority pick, but he gets beat.

Then whomever is going to end up as the new Authority pick - Cesaro? Owens? Joe? - comes out and beats everybody down to set up the next thing for Reigns.

That way, the tourney ends with no screwjob and Reigns is the legit champion, another screwjob is teased but brushed off, and then the show ends with somebody standing tall over Reigns.

• Like 1

Oh something I forgot to yell about last night because that last segment was such a bad idea that it interrupted my brain function.

Why the fuck is Tyler Breeze taking bumps for R-Truth and scoring a flash win? Breeze is your future star, R-Truth is a jobber. Whoever laid that match out is bad at their job and should feel bad. And if it's just Breeze being too giving someone needs to sit him down and say listen kid, we actually like you, put yourself over a bit.

I agree with the basic sentiment, but he hit him with his finish and pinned him in the middle, how's that a flash win?

It's literally the only offense he had in a match against a jobber. He actually looked weaker coming out than he went in.

Because Breeze isn't a dominant wrestler. He's a sneaky cheap-shot artist. That's how he's always been posited in NXT, except on a rare occasion or two when he squashed someone. But if you look at WWE/NXT like an European soccer ladder, Breeze was on the bottom fringe of "promotion from The Championship" for a while until he got called up. And Truth is somewhere in the relegation zone, if the WWE instituted that policy.

Also, Truth is a cagey veteran who used his experience against the newcomer who cheapshotted Truth's leg, which set him up for The Beauty Shot. I actually wish he won via Summer Rae interference or a selfie stick to the groin instead.

Oh something I forgot to yell about last night because that last segment was such a bad idea that it interrupted my brain function.

Why the fuck is Tyler Breeze taking bumps for R-Truth and scoring a flash win? Breeze is your future star, R-Truth is a jobber. Whoever laid that match out is bad at their job and should feel bad. And if it's just Breeze being too giving someone needs to sit him down and say listen kid, we actually like you, put yourself over a bit.

I agree with the basic sentiment, but he hit him with his finish and pinned him in the middle, how's that a flash win?

It's literally the only offense he had in a match against a jobber. He actually looked weaker coming out than he went in.

Because Breeze isn't a dominant wrestler. He's a sneaky cheap-shot artist. That's how he's always been posited in NXT, except on a rare occasion or two when he squashed someone.

Doesn't that have to change through?  Since on the main roster you can't cheat apart from distractions and cheap DQ's, he either needs to look actually stronger to become credible (Rusev, Shield) or sink to the bottom like every other heel (every other heel).

I know that as a fan, R-Truth has not won major matches in years and is pretty much a bottom guy.  If someone like Breeze comes in and ends up getting stymied by a guy like him, he's not that good.  Cheapshot artist aside, he should've pretty much mugged R-Truth outside a hope spot or two.  Truth isn't Tito Santana in this situation, he's Jim Powers.

Because Breeze isn't a dominant wrestler. He's a sneaky cheap-shot artist. That's how he's always been posited in NXT, except on a rare occasion or two when he squashed someone.

Doesn't that have to change through?  Since on the main roster you can't cheat apart from distractions and cheap DQ's, he either needs to look actually stronger to become credible (Rusev, Shield) or sink to the bottom like every other heel (every other heel).

Yeah, but it should change over time with Breeze gaining experience and figuring out what works. He has to earn that.

• Like 1

I know that as a fan, R-Truth has not won major matches in years and is pretty much a bottom guy.  If someone like Breeze comes in and ends up getting stymied by a guy like him, he's not that good.  Cheapshot artist aside, he should've pretty much mugged R-Truth outside a hope spot or two.  Truth isn't Tito Santana in this situation, he's Jim Powers.

Yeah, but even in NXT Breeze didn't dominate anyone. And, in fact, he lost every big match he had, save for one against Sami a bunch of months ago. So all of a sudden, this dude who couldn't get the win against Finn or Joe or whoever else is supposed to dominate against a guy who has won a bunch of titles and was a main event level guy for a while? Sure, Truth is on the down slope (like Chase Utley), but that doesn't mean he just rolls over for the new prospect who held his own, but couldn't beat, top-flight NXT talent.

Yeah, but it should change over time with Breeze gaining experience and figuring out what works. He has to earn that.

That!  That is the logic of Vince!  You are slipping into a dark place, Gregg.  plus it never works.  "Earning it" is a euphemism for "being the guy Vince wanted to push the whole time anyways."

That angle could not happen.

Either Paige would telling the truth that Flair "DID" take advantage of her- and that's a big enough bombshell to make a double-turn happen immediately, or Paige is lying about it, and the very nature of a heel lying about something like that would make the reaction to them bringing Reid Flair into the angle look positive.  Either way, WWE would be opening up a can of worms they would be right to want no part of. 

I know it couldn't happen. It's just Paige was so dodgy with her lines that it felt like they were building to her saying something big. In retrospect it's probable that she was just trying to muster up courage to say what she said and stay in character at the same time.

The whole thing came off bad. They want us to care about Paige vs. Charlotte, but the roles are all wrong. Charlotte should be the heel in this match with Paige chasing her.

The whole thing came off bad. They want us to care about Paige vs. Charlotte, but the roles are all wrong. Charlotte should be the heel in this match with Paige chasing her.

Charlotte has Shane Douglas disease, she's much better on the mic as a heel but much better in the ring as a babyface.  I guess that can be fixed.

The biggest problem with the main event promo was how poorly written it was. Having Charlotte talk about Reid at length telegraphed the whole thing to the point where Paige would've looked stupid for not calling it out. The whole thing was so meandering and aimless until the end, it felt like they were just looking for anything to wrap it up while making people forget how little sense the rest made.

You just have Charlotte talk about her talented family that never gives up and how she's gonna carry on the legacy by beating Paige this Sunday, then Paige comes back with Ric giving up on his marraiges/dignity, David giving up on his talentless career, then the Reid-bomb. Takes half the time, no back-and-forth just one promo each, and still gets mega heat.

• Like 1

Cesaro just needs his version of the Yes! chant. I know, it's not that simple, but he had all the tools and the support, he just needs a hook.

Can we bring back his old "HEY!" bit from the indies?

The HEY bit would be so over with WWE crowds. While we're at it, get him some bedazzled suits and a theme that closely resembles "Sledgehammer".

Charlotte has Shane Douglas disease, she's much better on the mic as a heel but much better in the ring as a babyface.  I guess that can be fixed.

See now if they wanted to do something interesting have her go all Anti-Flair. "He was never there for me when I needed him and he's only trying to leech off me to keep his old leathery self in the game". She was so much better in NXT when they told her just because you're Flair's daughter doesn't mean you have to do all his stuff.

Going back to the tournament, it's a shame Cesaro/Reigns and Neville/Owens weren't the semi final matches. Those matches would have been amazing on PPV. I really want to see Reigns/Owens but I know that probably won't be happening.

The biggest problem with the main event promo was how poorly written it was. Having Charlotte talk about Reid at length telegraphed the whole thing to the point where Paige would've looked stupid for not calling it out. The whole thing was so meandering and aimless until the end, it felt like they were just looking for anything to wrap it up while making people forget how little sense the rest made.

You just have Charlotte talk about her talented family that never gives up and how she's gonna carry on the legacy by beating Paige this Sunday, then Paige comes back with Ric giving up on his marraiges/dignity, David giving up on his talentless career, then the Reid-bomb. Takes half the time, no back-and-forth just one promo each, and still gets mega heat.

Agreed, but the real problem was the horrible card structure with THAT as the main event?  Why Cesaro/Reigns didn't go on last is completely mind-boggling.  It's real simple WWE, do Kalisto/Del RIo, then the Divas promo, then end the show w/ Cesaro & Reigns tearing the house down.

They put a woman's title defense contract signing last.

That's:

1) Awesome for women's wrestling. It's a huge step for the division to have the match hyped as much as it was throughout the evening.

2) Leaving the show with the most controversial angle they've had in ages.

It wasn't perfect by any means but it was really good and added a personal touch to a story they haven't had in ages. It felt REAL.

• Like 2