DVDVR Message Board

RAW is uncomfortably personal

Brian Fowler

I see your point, Gregg, but not sure I can agree.  With this so-called revolution running straight for a brick wall, what happened last night was not only poorly conceived, but felt desperate.  "Let's make it edgy, talk about the dead brother!"

I don't know.  My gut reaction was "Ewwww, why go there?"  Had it been better presented--maybe, but I'm still leaning toward "Nope, don't go there."

• Like 1

So the brawl at the end was good, but I think the people who are comparing this to "old school southern booking" are missing the point of what made that southern booking so great. It wasn't that the heel just said and did despicable things, it was that the heel doing despicable things was foreshadowed by previous actions in some fashion. Before tonight, I had no idea that Charlotte was a wrestler because of her brother. She never talked about that in promos, the announcers never made mention of it, it wasn't brought up during her title win. Paige talking about Reid was the first mention I remember of Reid on WWE programming. Let's say Charlotte wins the title and we get a vignette with her and Ric, or even a quick mention from Michael Cole about why this is so emotional for them. If Paige brings up Reid after he's been established as a place of emotional resonance for Charlotte, it shows a specific side of Paige and makes us want to hate her even more. As it stands, Paige bringing it up now makes what could be a powerful storyline in to something that is played almost purely for shock value. To me, it read almost like a villain from a soap opera, spouting off exposition and being awful at the same time. Sure I wanted to see Charlotte beat up Paige, but that was it. I didn't feel for Charlotte. It didn't seem like something that was important to her was being picked on by a former friend. It felt like dirty laundry was being aired, and that's a very different (and much less interesting) way to tell a story.

• Like 3

Was David Flair the worst wrestler ever whose father was an all-time great?  (or the best, whatever)

So who would you put on that list? "All-time great" is obviously subjective, but here's who occurs to me as children of potential all-time greats:

David & Charlotte Flair

Dustin & Cody Rhodes

David Sammartino

David Benoit

Shaul Guerrero

Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr.

El Hijo Del Santo

Blue Demon Jr. (adopted)

The only thing that bugs me is how lazy it seems.  How much time should a professional writer have to spend thinking about an angle like this to come up with a way to make it seem personal or dramatic enough to get a wrestling fan to watch?

It's a trick question because the answer is 0 minutes and 0 seconds if you can just call it a day and fall back on "your dead brother" and then pat yourself on the back for being either old school or edgy like you just did something impressive.

It's like turning in a 500-word essay for school in which 482 of the words are "really".

• Like 2

Liked what I saw of Ray Gordy's indie work(NWA Wildside).

Planet Stasiak was money.

Erik Watts got decent in TNA of all places.

I actually thought that Watts was great in the co-GM angle with Don Callis. I mean, Bischoff and Austin were doing the same angle better (at the same time) but Watts held his own there.

• Like 1