DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

I'm catching up on Supergirl, and I've generally enjoyed it. Am I daft to think that Hank Henshaw is not going evil cyborg, but is this universe's Martian Manhunter? His, "I had a family, once," red eyes, possible telepathy when he realized Alex was in the lab...

I just don't get why they would name him Hank Henshaw instead of some variation of J'onn J'onzz. Henshaw did have a family in the comics as well.

re: Henshaw

His "taking" the Danvers that had massive Superman knowledge, who disappeared in an accident, points me to Henshaw being Cyborg Supes, probably as a result of making a weapon to take on Superman should he need it.  We know he has weapons that works on Kryptonians, so it fits.  Could be his family that he had once were killed during one of Superman's earlier exploits, or from a villian that Superman hadn't caught up to yet.

Somebody directed the hell out of the fight scenes on ARROW tonight.

Interestingly enough, the director of tonight's episode as James Bamford. This was his first directing credit, but he's been a stuntman/stunt coordinator for years. He probably just innately knows how to shoot fight scenes well by now.

I was actually coming here to comment on exactly that.  That was damn near Daredevil quality last night with the fight scenes.  Please, keep Bamford on to choreograph the fights if nothing else.

Not just the fight scenes, but also some of the other scenes had a better pace than they'd had in the past. I like the camera swooping in on the scenes. It was a neat way to capture the kinetic energy of comics when their done right. Between Bamford and Lexi Alexander (director of Punisher: War Zone) handling an episode a while back, they've made some good choices this year.  

I'm getting my episodes confused but was this the one where they went out of their way to show an image in the flashback and then its present day counterpart. I remember them doing it with a chess set, for instance. I watch too much TV and might be getting this confused with something else.

Regarding the fight scenes: Agree that the Arrow stuff was very good.  They seemed to be going for something great with the elevator fight in Gotham, but it didn't really come together.  I don't recall specifics, but they tried to throw a gag in the middle of the fight and it just came off wrong.  Oh yeah, it was the deal where the elevator doors opened up and elevator music was playing.  Didn't work at all.  I did like some of the color pallette and lighting and such, but overall the substance wasn't there.

Re: Flash's dad:

Really hated Henry showing up as a deus ex machina life coach.  For one thing, my first thought was "How'd Iris find him?"  Barry seemed to not know that his dad was out camping, so it seems unlikely Henry told the Wests.  And, really, after a couple decades in prison, you can either (a) spend time with the son who always believed in you and worked tirelessly to exonerate you, or ( B ) go camping.  Gee, that's a real "Father of the Year" choice right there.

I strongly sensed a heel turn coming.  If I'm wrong, then yeah: he's the worst DC TV character since Barbara on Gotham before her turn.

Was last night's episode of Supergirl the episode originally scheduled for last week?  

I haven't watched SG since the pilot.  Planning to get caught up this weekend.  Just wondering if I should watch last night's ep before the one they aired last week.

Yes it was, and while nothing too big happens outside of relationship stuff you might as well watch them in correct order.

I watched both episodes last night. They were decent. I'm enjoying this version of Cat Grant, and it was nice seeing Livewire in live action even if it wasn't that great.

Firestorm's outfit looks fantastic. Though I'm a little bummed that they're not travelling around in a giant bubble. Still, I'll get over it.

I'm crazy behind on Arrow (just really getting into the 1st season).....White Canary?

Got caught up on Supergirl.  I don't feel like the writing is there yet, but there is a lot I like about this show.  Melissa Benoist is well-cast as Supergirl, and they've done a great job making Kara more interesting and relatable than her alter ego.  Actually, characterization has been good all-around so far.  After the pilot, I really expected Cat Grant to be mostly a caricature of the bad boss, but the writers have made her a complex, interesting person.  I also really like their take on Jimmy Olsen.  The sister hasn't done much for me, but I don't think Chyler Leigh is a particularly strong actress.  At least her relationship with their mother is interesting.

Really, the superhero part of the show has been the weak link.  Not really caring at all what the overall plot is or about the government agency Kara is working for.

I'm also thrilled they're presenting the character more as pre-Crisis Kara and less New 52 Kara.

Even by Hollywood standards, Calista Flockhart looks insanely great for 51.  She apparently has a hideously scarred portrait of herself in the basement.  Or Harrison Ford.  

And using Maxwell Lord really makes me wish they'd gotten the go-ahead to use Ted Kord on Arrow.

Still a ways to go to really hook me, but definitely better than, say, the first five episodes of Arrow, s1,