DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

When Beavis and Butt-Head returned in 2011, I remember Butt-Head angrily announcing "they can BOTH do better!" in response to some shitty MTV reality show.  That's kind of how I felt about Barry/Patty.  Both of them treated the other like ass, and both of them kind of deserve it.

Wally is rather emphatically not "my" Wally but I don't hate him or anything, he's a victim of circumstance.

We really, desperately need a Kadabra story and a John Fox/Speed Metal story and more Piper.

I want to slap Wally when I see him on the show, but I can sympathize with his situation. He's an angry teenager. Meeting his long lost Dad for the first time (who overcompensates for lost time), his mother is dying, Barry (arguably) replaced him in Joe's little family... He's naturally going to have some angst. Patty & Barry breaking up kind of sucks, but I'm glad they didn't go with the typical "but, wait... I'm the Flash!" type of reveal and she stays and then inevitably gets murdered or something by Zoom/Reverse Flash/anyone. Barry needs to just let this one go. Besides, now he can hook up with his foster sister!  :wacko: I really dislike how Eobard is still alive, but whatever. Zoom is a much better foil for Barry, I think. Give me more Earth 2 stuff, damnit.

Unrelated to Flash, but I watched the pilot of Supergirl the other day. It's pretty good, but I really hope as I dig into episode 2 and further that the production and stuff starts to look a lot... slicker? I don't know the word I'm looking for. This is on CBS, correct? How does the CW manage to have better looking SFX than a major network show? Good lord. :P

The CW has had over a decade to perfect playing to their strengths effects wise, between Smallville, Supernatural, and the current crop of DC series. It's new ground for CBS. Also flying people is just one of those things that's hard to pull off in live action. Supergirl does pretty well effects wise given TV constraints.

The only effect I really hate on Supergirl is that dumb flying one where it's like someone paused her and then she busts out the super-speed again. It looks so damn hokey and, thankfully, they've seemingly dropped it judging by the first two new episodes.

I'm super disappointed Patty went the McKenna route. They totally wrote themselves into a corner with her but it's still a stupid and frustrating payoff after all that build.

Most of the mainline canon have always had them having the awkward ex-dating thing. As clunky as Patty's exit was, that had to be established.

I'm super disappointed Patty went the McKenna route. They totally wrote themselves into a corner with her but it's still a stupid and frustrating payoff after all that build.

Most of the mainline canon have always had them having the awkward ex-dating thing. As clunky as Patty's exit was, that had to be established.

Except you know, the current stuff where they're dating and she knows he's the Flash and he's never dated Iris. Besides, Ollie in the shows is only about 10% influenced by the comics and Diggle/Sara Lance didn't exist. The source material doesn't really dictate much unless they need an out for something.

Legends was bananas. They just jump right in with a plot that would be kinda bonkers in the comics and just fly with it. Super brisk pace and over the top action. One twist was obvious, the other not. They did a really good job balancing the cast and getting great character stuff in there. I loved it, pretty much. I could easily see it becoming my favourite depending how Flash shakes out over the rest of the season.

Yeah, Legends of Tomorrow was super fun, but I can see it being one of those shows that's completely dependent on drawing viewers from Flash and Arrow instead of bringing new fans to the show. Which is fine, because this is the first show that's actually felt like a comic book come to life. Like Unholy Dragon said - it was bonkers from start to finish. Unlike Greggulator in the music thread, I've had "My Name is Jonas" in my head because of that first scene. And I didn't see that kill coming, either. Good stuff all around - still don't like Wentworth Miller, though. I hate the way he talks, always have.

I really enjoyed it and this is coming from having seen zero of either Arrow or Flash.  Some stuff was a little confusing, but they explained it well enough to someone coming in with almost no prior knowledge.  

The first episode of LEGENDS did nothing for me. I thought it was horribly laid out. For a show whose appeal is almost exclusively to viewers who are already on board the CW-verse, spending the 1st act on an info dump of stuff those viewers already know was a weird choice.

And then the next act was all those characters dithering over a choice we already know they're going to make because otherwise there wouldn't be a show. And then in the last act they all dither over the exact same decision again. SO MUCH DITHERING.

But I think the biggest stone around this show's neck is Hawkman and Hawkgirl. So far, they're total duds. They have no chemistry, and episodes grind to a halt every time they start blathering about their eternal love. Which is fucking often. And unfortunately, there's no getting rid of them, because they're central to the mythos they've set up with Savage. Ugh.

Agree about the Hawks.  Which is a shame.  I generally dig the Hawks in the comics.

Legends of Tomorrow didn't do a whole lot for me either.  The angst at the end when they found out they were not, in fact, legends annoyed me to no end.  Didn't really understand how that mattered all that much.  Not very super hero-ey to take your ball and go home unless the people asking for your help think you're some sort of iconic figure.

Again, somr of the pacing issues probably have to do with the fact there was supposed to be another 45 minutes of story. We kinda saw to the midpoint because who knows.

I do sympathize with the character intro stuff, but at the same time, even if something is a spinoff you can't assume viewers will have seen the original source stuff. I was definitely expecting that bit to be worse.

The only thing I think i can agree with Eva on is the Hawks. I actually like Kendra, but there is definitely no chemistry there for a romantic relationship which I hope they realize sooner than later.

The angst at the end when they found out they were not, in fact, legends annoyed me to no end.  Didn't really understand how that mattered all that much.  Not very super hero-ey to take your ball and go home unless the people asking for your help think you're some sort of iconic figure.

Well to be fair only Ray & Stein are actual heroes, and we know Ray has been concerned about his legacy ever since his "death" didn't make as big a splash in the world as he expected. Whats more you also have to take into account that Hunter essentially brought them in because they were expendable which the whole legend deal helped to alleviate a bit as it would have meant they weren't likely to die on the mission.

They still didn't reveal whose grave it was on Arrow did they?

It looks like Felicity is becoming Oracle, but with all the otherworldly tech at Star Labs I find it kind of hard to believe they couldn't come up with some tech to help her, but plot devices are what they are.

I'm still putting Felicity's mom in the grave, since her connection to Papa Lance is now widely known and Dhark will eventually know that Papa Lance has been double agenting him.

They still didn't reveal whose grave it was on Arrow did they?

It looks like Felicity is becoming Oracle, but with all the otherworldly tech at Star Labs I find it kind of hard to believe they couldn't come up with some tech to help her, but plot devices are what they are.

That was always the thing with Barbara. There are prob a million ways to get her out of the wheelchair, from an exoskelton to magic.

Hey look, Zayanna's here. "ArabraB, klaw!"

• Like 1