DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

No, according to the head of TNT, "the script wasn't there."

I also think someone realized that, as in-demand as superhero properties are right now, a show about teen heroes doesn't really fit with TNT's older skewing audience.

Gotham: Rise of the Villains starts in the UK on Channel 5 at 9pm this Monday. What's the verdict on the show?

This is just my opinion, but kill it with fire.

LOL. Cheers TheVileOne. As a big Batman fan, I'm not feeling it's return as something I have to see.

No, according to the head of TNT, "the script wasn't there."

I also think someone realized that, as in-demand as superhero properties are right now, a show about teen heroes doesn't really fit with TNT's older skewing audience.

Apparently, there has been a regime change at TNT and they want to get away from procedurals and light dramas and into grittier serious dramas.  The article I read kinda made Titans sound like a procedural, or at least a superhero version of Burn Notice or Royal Pains.

If that's the direction they were going to go, it's probably for the best.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Gotham, but, yeah, it's fairly inessential viewing, imo.  I didn't like season 1, but thought the problems were fixable.  Instead, season 2 has a lot of the same problems and some new ones. 

On the plus side, Erin Richards is great as an insanely hot psychopath (which is surprising; she was kinda meh when the character was sane).

On the minus, Donal Logue continues to be wasted.  He's perfectly cast.  Why they keep paying him when he hardly gets any lines is beyond me.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Gotham, but, yeah, it's fairly inessential viewing, imo.  I didn't like season 1, but thought the problems were fixable.  Instead, season 2 has a lot of the same problems and some new ones. 

On the plus side, Erin Richards is great as an insanely hot psychopath (which is surprising; she was kinda meh when the character was sane).

On the minus, Donal Logue continues to be wasted.  He's perfectly cast.  Why they keep paying him when he hardly gets any lines is beyond me.

I agree with all of this, except that I might be ready to give up on it.

Honestly i sort of figured it was why he was there in the first place.

So anyone here watching Supergirl still? I thought this week's episode was good and dug the reveal.

I've been watching my backlog of episodes. I liked the reveal a lot. 

Agents of SHIELD has been infuriating to me, leading me to drop it early in S3. Arrow is enjoyable but outside S2 I don't know that it's ever been consistently good.

I think S4 has been a bit more consistent than S3. I don't really expect to hit the high of S2 ever again. Not sure what you found infuriating enough about AoS to drop S3 early.

^ That basically. There's a lot to like there and Season 3 started hot but then just fell into the same shitty routines. Introducing a new character who's supposed to be Coulson's match in the spy game only to fridge her so he can be angsty enough to kill Ward? Then immediately bringing Brett Dalton back to the show as evil alien thing Ward?

Also the Lash reveal?

Fuck this show.

And I'll admit, I only experienced the first couple episodes firsthand. The return had me pumped but then the alien planet episode left me cold. I tracked the plot from there to see if I wanted to catch up but it was full of the same stupid, frustrating decisions that have made me angry at the show for two seasons already and with enough shows I don't have reservations watching, I couldn't justify it anymore.

• Like 2

I think Agents of Shield is a good show. I just don't like the characters, the plots, the dialogue, the movie tie-ins or the direction the show is moving in. 

Lol, this is how I feel.  In a vacuum, I enjoy AoS week to week. I feel like the writing has improved and there's just enough character hook that I don't mind investing an hour in the show.

That said, the ceiling for AoS is really, really low with me.  I don't really care about the characters that much.  I do enjoy Fitz's slow-burn transformation from nerd on the spectrum to man of action and Bobbi is a decent character, but I actively dislike the rest and most of the character building falls flat with me.  I've liked Ming-na Wen and Clark Gregg in other shows, but both seem badly miscast here.  

Beyond that, the show has yet to establish a season plot that interests me.  The Hydra stuff didn't hook me  Neither did nu-Shield.  Or the Inhumans.  Or the alien planet

I also think the show generally looks drab and cheap (Deathlok's original $9.99 costume still makes me snicker).  So, yeah, I like everything about the show except the characters, the plotting, the cinematography. the tone of the show, the acting, etc.

My enjoyment of Supergirl goes up or down dependent upon how often Calista Flockheart darkness my television screen, she's just awful.

I assume by 'darkness', you meant 'is awesome.'  Personally, I think the Flockhart (and the show's general take on Cat Grant) is probably the best thing about Supergirl so far.  

As much as I'm looking forward to Thursday, I'm afraid Legends of Tomorrow is going to be DOA.  Outside of one or two explicit two-parters per week, Flash and Arrow are self contained enough that you only really need one. LoT is explicitly a bonus show for people already invested in the CWDCU--if you're not already on board, there is zero reason you would ever care to check in on Ray and company.  I think it's going to be awesome, and that it's not going to capture the audience needed to justify a second year.

I just think 9 heroes is too many characters to juggle on a weekly basis. I don't know how you tell stories in 40-ish minutes with that many characters to service...and that's before you get into villains and guest stars and the like.

My LSH will always be the Waid/Peyer/McCraw/Stern LSH, preferably drawn by Jeff Moy.  So Abnett is closer to that than it is to Giffen or Levitz, even if it was too dark for my tastes.

As i me tioned on the pod, i think with chikarason, theSW6 was such a departure from 5YL and its predecesor, icouldnt enjoy it at the time. Now, i like it just fine.

My order of preference would prob be:

1. Levitz/giffen

2. Silver age

3. 5YL

4. sw6

5. Waid/Kitson

6. Abnett/Lanning

7. grell/cockrum era

Oh, I'm not talking about SW6 Legionnaires.  I've read that, but it was too tied into post-TMK v4 (Earth being destroyed etc).  I mean post-ZH first-reboot LSH, which was full of optimism and fluffy fun and gelled nicely with all the space-opera anime I was mainlining. The first Legion story I ever read was Emerald Vi, and it was exactly what I needed from a comic book in 1996.