DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

You mean Lance and Joe? Joe definitely would've been up there before this season, but they really dropped the ball with him as it relates to what went down with Barry's dad (the whole show did) and especially this past episode with Iris's "dead" mom.

Lance is too wishy-washy based on whatever the plot needs him to be at any given moment.

I can't get past how casually Cold murders people.

But he doesn't anymore. That's the deal he has with Flash. He killed his father last week but that was because his dad was willing to kill Glider. They're totally going the route of making him an anti hero, given that he's going to be on the Legends team.

I remember being frustrated with Geoff Johns's version of Cold, because he talked so much about never killing unless there was no other choice, but every story he was in gave him a reason to make an exception. ("He killed my sister!" "He tricked Rogues into fighting Rogues!" etc.) Of course, that's kind of the point; Johns's Cold thinks he's less awful than he is, and has a code of honor that's almost comedically flexible but *he doesn't realize it.*  I feel like TV Cold is kind of the same, but the rules are different.  He likes to talk about having rules, he breaks those rules, he makes excuses for why it's okay to break those rules.

• Like 1

Most of us saw it five months ago?

I sure did. Main thoughts:

1. "It's okay, I guess"

2. "Heh heh, Dean and Helen, heh heh heh"

3. "Wow, that fight was pretty violent for a pilot"

4. "Why the hell aren't they saying Superman's name or showing his face?"

5. "When the hell did Calista Flockhart grow talent?"

6. "I'm pretty sure my favorite bit was when she's so unused to flying that she missed the car she was chasing and splatted face-first into the dirt"

Let me see if I get this straight.

The most dangerous criminals in the universe were all dumped onto Earth years ago. And not only hasn't Superman found any of them to date... he apparently isn't even TRYING.

Other than that, we both dug this. Popped big for Slater/Cain as Kara's adoptive parents plus the bit where she curb-stomped herself trying to stop the crooks. We'll keep an eye on this going forward.

That's kinda my only problem.  Supes has been active for 20 years at this point.  It's not like the Government could hide that a Phantom Zone Prison (that the Government knows the name of) crashed on Earth the same time Kara's pod did and everyone escaped, and they somehow know that 90% of the population of that prison was put there by a Zor-El (I imagine that Jor-El himself put a few there too).  I imagine that those criminals would be just as happy to take a crack at their jailer's nephew, since they didn't know until this episode that her daughter was alive.  Unless there were just too scared shitless of Supes to take him on, but were fine when Supergirl popped up.

And of course, if Astra is plotting to take over earth, if she dies try to kill her niece there, I'm pretty sure her nephew, who every bad guy seems to be scared shitless of, will bump her to the top of his list.  But I'll watch the show anyway.

Supergirl: I thought the dialogue and characterizations were simply awful. Often it really felt like it was written for 2nd graders.  When the special effects were at their best, they looked like a Babylon 5 episode from 20 years ago.  The other superhero shows rarely look as cheesy with their effects.  And this was the pilot of a major network?

Gotham: I was one of the few that kind of liked season 1, but they're losing me.  Are any of the characters likable?  Maybe Alfred and Morena Baccarin, but that's about it. 

Flash: The Shark was pretty great.

I kinda disliked this episode of Flash until the very end. The reveal of King Shark was hilarious, though. I'm glad I apparently missed the pre-episode press that revealed him.

Hopefully now that Earth-2 Wells is out in the open, this season can actually start going somewhere.

I'd been avoiding spoilers all day (including this thread) but Facebook's trending bar just spoiled me on KS. It's almost impossible for us to watch anything at 8 pm on a weekday due to the toddler's bedtime, so that's annoying. That was a case of it coming to me and me not going to it.

Finally watched Supergirl last night, it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. Count me in to the camp that wishes they would just stop bringing Clark up, especially when they won't just say Superman & do to the fact that he's never going to show up.

Also, WB & DC have gone to great lengths to say that their TV & Film universes are separate, which is very obvious on all the other shows, but this one, not so much. This show seems to take place in the MoS Universe while Gotham is its own thing, and then we have the Arrowverse. I find it even more surprising that they've chosen to go this route due to this show being done by the Arrowverse folks, even though it's on a different network.