DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

Friend of my wife's who lives in Hong Kong, told us Michael Bay, who's filming Transformers 4,  was shook down by some Triad members, one of which was wielding an AIR CONDITIONER.

So I had to google it and found the story: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/25/world/asia/hong-kong-transformers-triad-extortion/

The man returned an hour later, "carrying a long air-conditioner unit," added Bay. "He walked right up to me and tried to smack my face, but I ducked threw the air unit on the floor and pushed him away."

Eve Michael Bay's fights sound like something out of a Michael Bay movie.

It wasn't actually Triads that attacked him, it was shop owners that were upset that the street was closed down for so long. Many film productions in HK actually use Triads for crowd control because the government is stingy about giving out shooting permits and set security. The Triads usually pay off local shop keepers as well.

Friend of my wife's who lives in Hong Kong, told us Michael Bay, who's filming Transformers 4,  was shook down by some Triad members, one of which was wielding an AIR CONDITIONER.

So I had to google it and found the story: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/25/world/asia/hong-kong-transformers-triad-extortion/

That is some shit right out of Sleeping Dogs.

The Triads have been around the film business for a long time.  When he was trying to get out of his contract with Lo Wei, Jackie Chan got visited by some Triads trying to "convince" him to stay with Lo.  Jackie called in a favor from Jimmy Wang Yu, who used his own influence with the Triads to get Lo to back off.  During all of this was when Jackie went to the US for the first time to make movies like Cannonball Run so he could wait for the heat to die down.

Sometimes it can get quite nasty.  Probably the most notorious incident was when Carina Lau (the wife of Tony Leung Chiu-Wai from Hard Boiled and Infernal Affairs) refused to work with a specific producer, who called in Triad goons to kidnap her.  The kidnappers took pictures of her naked and bound, which were sold to a Hong Kong tabloid, who ran them on their front page.  There was kind of a "wink wink nudge nudge" aspect to the Triads being involved in the film business, but that turned the corner on that aspect and things have cleaned up at least somewhat.

Sometimes it can get quite nasty.  Probably the most notorious incident was when Carina Lau (the wife of Tony Leung Chiu-Wai from Hard Boiled and Infernal Affairs) refused to work with a specific producer, who called in Triad goons to kidnap her.  The kidnappers took pictures of her naked and bound, which were sold to a Hong Kong tabloid, who ran them on their front page.  There was kind of a "wink wink nudge nudge" aspect to the Triads being involved in the film business, but that turned the corner on that aspect and things have cleaned up at least somewhat.

Jesus. And people think Hollywood can be a ruthless place.

I'm trying to think of cool Mob/Hollywood stories. First one I can thin of is Columbia President Harry Cohn hiring a hitman to take out Sammy Davis Jr's other eye, or worse, because Sammy was dating Kim Novak(who Cohn had turned into a star to replace his aging stars) The mob actually protected Sammy, but only if he stuck to Las Vegas and Chicago. He was making them tons of money of course.

If I recall correctly, Joe Columbo was extremely pissed about first The Untouchables TV series and later The Godfather film, and it took the work of the Chicago Outfit's lawyer fixer Sidney Korshak to get the blessing for the latter. Which of course included a version of the Cohn story in it. 

That is some shit right out of Sleeping Dogs.

Should have bought a pork bun.