DVDVR Message Board

WWE Battleground

Phil Schneider

Also it seems like we are getting a Michael Cole and Kevin Owens thing as well.   It has been built up a little but seemed elevated with Kevin yelling at him a couple times.   I was a fan of early Kevin picking on shitty WWE commentators but too much of it is going to hurt.   Plus it isn't like Cole can do an Alex riley and work a 5 minute squash.   

Alex Riley couldn't work a 5 minute squash either. 

• Like 2

I'll go a little more in depth later (not that I really need to as my feelings have already pretty much been covered) but Taker looked 60 years old. Shaky and old. He looked like someone's grandad coming home late and still wearing his eyeliner from the Alice Cooper show. This CAN'T be the best this international "entertainment brand" can do.

Brock should beat the shit out of him and pin him in under 3 minutes. It's the only way this would make any sense.

I would have continued the Ambrose/Rollins feud, with Dean going over and getting the belt at SS. But, it ain't my company.

Totally tired of these Undertaker returns. *Gong*...boring. He does nothing for me now.

Retire and move on.

I'd be willing to bet it's not so much that he doesn't want to retire as "hey, it's Vince. Want a couple hundred thousand dollars?" Shit, I never was as into Taker as a lot of people and I'm not mad at that on his end. I'd take it too.

Bray vs. Roman was awesome. Those dudes tagged the hell out of each other a lot and were looking to brutalize each other. Dudes showed hate and brutality throughout. Bray saying stuff like HE'S FAILING YOU! in the chinlock (which he was wrenching the f in) was awesome. The apron dropkick clothesline was one of the best spots of the year. And now we have THE FAMILY reuniting and hopefully going up against The Shield. The six-mans were the best matches of the decade and I'm fine getting more of that for a little bit.

• Like 2

WORST BACKDROP EVER!!!

So yeah, I fell asleep during Cena/Owens. I mean it was good but it was also like every other match they had. I woke up and heard Cena's music so I went back to sleep for a few more minutes so I was rested for Brock/Seth. The one thing I hate about Owens/Cena is they crammed what could have been a six month feud into two months. These three matches should have been spread out. I could have lived with tonight being the rematch from the first one and Summerslam being the big rubber match. Cena wins. He always wins because Vince is afraid that kids will stop nagging their parents to buy all his shitty merchandise.

I don't mind Oldman Inc. coming back and dishing soup bones. They missed a golden oppurtunity to have him align with The Authority. Who else is better to be the new COO than the damned conscience of the company. Tomorrow they better do that because if it's just Taker trying to get his loss back it's gonna suck. I assume he did it in part for Kane, but Triple H calling Taker in to run the ship seems so much better than the other thing.

I understand the psychology they were going for in the Cena/Owens match. KO kicked out of everything Cena gave him, so he had to resort to a submission hold to finally beat him.

That's where things went wrong. In order for the psychology to make sense, Owens should've been in the hold for 2 to 3 minutes before tapping or Cena should have tweaked the submission hold up. Cena could've rolled he and Owens onto theIr sides ala Hase or applied the Regal Stretch.

So at this point Reigns is never going to get cheered on PPV. I mean Wyatt threatens to kidnap Reigns daughter and generally is a dick to him for 5 weeks and the crowd cheers Wyatt, boos Reigns and chants for Wyatt the entire match. I am excited to see how Brooklyn reacts to Reigns.

I think the the pro-Wyatt crowd was largely just a group (sounded like all frat boys trying to be cute) who happened to be close to the microphones.  Maybe I misheard, but I thought I there were some pro-Roman cheers.

I though it was weird they gave Brie some spots where I guess they expected her to get a big face reaction like the dueling Bryan kicks. The crowd just booed her, and chanted we want Becky lol. Brie's lucky she can still walk after her teammates gave her a backdrop driver on the apron catch.

I thought the worst match was at least solid so this was a generally good show for me wrestling wise.

Reigns/Wyatt was pretty good though I agree that it went too long, especially with the chinlock segment.

Charlotte vs. Sasha vs. Brie was good. Sasha and Charlotte got to impress and Brie stepped up some even if she was clearly behind the other two outside of strikes. I think this is bit underrated. This might have been a little rough at times, but I expect things to get better over time.

Owens/Cena was easily the worst of their matches, but still good. It was definitely too much of the same style wise despite some new stuff being thrown in. I'm probably the biggest Cena fan on the board, but I do think the wrong guy went over. It shouldn't have been a clean victory, but Owens definitely should have won this. I'm not too worried as I think Owens is good enough to bounce back via the strength of his character and wrestling alone, but this would have been the better moment for him to win the US title. Holding off for Summerslam is a bit much.

Brock/Seth was pretty much perfect up until the finish. This was one match that was a WTF to me. Taker's appearance was fine, but I'm not sure why they didn't have Brock win the belt. Would have made the rematch between the two at Summerslam a bigger deal. There really isn't anymore life in Rollins as champ and there is no obvious challenger for Summerslam.

So at this point Reigns is never going to get cheered on PPV. I mean Wyatt threatens to kidnap Reigns daughter and generally is a dick to him for 5 weeks and the crowd cheers Wyatt, boos Reigns and chants for Wyatt the entire match. I am excited to see how Brooklyn reacts to Reigns.

I think the the pro-Wyatt crowd was just a group who happened to be close to the microphones.  Maybe I misheard, but I thought I heard some pro-Roman cheers.

There was plenty of Pro-Roman people in the crowd. Its was maybe 60-40 in favor of Wyatt.

I though it was weird they gave Brie some spots where I guess they expected her to get a big face reaction like the dueling Bryan kicks. The crowd just booed her, and chanted we want Becky lol. Brie's lucky she can still walk after her teammates gave her a backdrop driver on the apron catch.

Yes, they were too close when they caught her. They somehow surprisingly managed to avoid landing hard though which is likely why she avoided  something worst happening to her. I think the Bryan spot was just to give her a moment to shine as opposed to expecting face heat.

I liked the show. I'm a fan of both Orton and Sheamus so I enjoyed their match. Titus was great off the hot tag again. Don't usually care for Wyatt but thought him and Reigns was pretty good stuff overall.. figured their feud wouldn't end here. Loved that the divas got a good amount of time which hopefully sticks for their future matches. Glad to see Sasha shine in control segments and Charlotte looked good as well. I hope they do a triple threat trios tag at SummerSlam to stretch Nikki's reign out to the record but I have a feeling she might lose it there and not get the record. Enjoyed Cena/Owens as usual. Surprised by the finish as I thought for sure Owens would win the title and definitely didn't expect a tapout. Felt like Owens was one of if not the first to kick out of the Super AA. Figure they do a triple threat with Cesaro next too. Lesnar throwing Rollins around was fun while it lasted. Curious to see how Taker/Lesnar goes as Taker seemed a bit heelish at first with the low blow. I don't imagine Taker beating Brock at this point while Brock beating him again seems rather pointless. Should be interesting. Hope Rollins/Kane is actually the title match at SummerSlam but I doubt it.

Orton vs. Sheamus was really good, hampered by the fact that it's impossible to give a shit about either of them.

I'm the only one that wants to see another Brock/Taker match? Cool.

While I don't have much of an interest in seeing Taker in the ring based on his last few outings, I actually thought the haggard old man look kind of suited him.  For most of his career he had the undead monster gimmick going, and looking like the deranged old lunatic that lives behind a gas station in the middle of nowhere and murders people that show up after dark works.  I'm sure I'm in the minority that thinks this and don't imagine the match will be all that interesting, but that's just my thoughts.

Someone else mentioned that this Cena/Owens feud should have gone on for much longer to fully flesh it out and I definitely agree.  The events and matches surrounding them on the last few Raws should have resulted in a 4 way match being made between Cena, Owens, Russev and Cesaro.  Let the match break down at the end with Russev and Cesaro brawling to the back to set up a match between them and the final rubber match between Cena and Owens at Summerslam with Owens finally going over.  However, I'm fine with them setting up such a 4 way at Summerslam to finally get the title off Cena.  I'd be fine with any of the three others winning and they can feud with one another from there.

Orton vs. Sheamus was really good, hampered by the fact that it's impossible to give a shit about either of them.

I'm the only one that wants to see another Brock/Taker match? Cool.

I wasn't a fan of their last match, but I'm interested. I would be more interested though if Taker was in slightly better shape. Not sure why, but he seems to have gained some weight since Wrestlemania.

I liked the Mania match a lot more on rewatch than I did live. And I don't think the rematch will be built quite so much on Brock utterly destroying Taker, plus it shouldn't have Undertaker knocked silly a quarter of the way through.

He is heavier, but I think it's more muscle mass than fat. He's been bulking up of late.

The worst part of the Cena/Owens match for me was the shitty ref. Just looked so self-conscious about being there and not wanting to get involved, and just stood there and spectated and looked bored by the whole thing, stopping only to put a count in where necessary. Guy should be fired.

I liked the Reigns/Wyatt match much more than I thought I would. 

Sheamus/Orton went for what seemed like years. 

Agree that Bellas tried to sabotage that match. Match made Sasha look good. Didn't do much for Charlotte.