DVDVR Message Board

WWE Battleground

Phil Schneider

Kickoff show was nothing - although I did enjoy Barrett's silly face before hitting the elbow. Sheamus vs. Orton was a match. Ditto the tag titles match, which had the wrong team win. Roman vs. Bray went on for ages. STEPHANIE MCMAHON PRESENTS the divas revolution triple threat was something else. We got Steph towering over JoJo, a recap of this "revolution" focusing on Steph, and some new chicks. Brie nearly landed very very badly on a pile-on back suplex. Cena-Owens went through the motions of being a good match, but wasn't much of one. Main event was a patchwork of a great match with an amazing return. Taker looks like just the right amount of young and old to make this Granddaddy Deadman deal work. I loved everything here BUT the non-finish. Seth is a fucking heel - HAVE HIM PIN BROCK AND TAKE ALL THE CREDIT. What is so fucking hard about that?

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/07/wwe-battleground-2015.html

Screens - 

King of Great Faces -
de7151423071486.jpg 

57d266423084745.jpg 

This could've gone far worse. 

34f43d423088446.jpg

Stephanie the Giant

62f287423084822.jpg 

f56937423096069.jpg  

19e236423096076.jpg 

d57f80423096080.jpg

Kickoff Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/ixjafs7m743888wjcktn5huy7m7xp1y7

Battleground Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/3uisdkg66o6hds547qskqvmxmltb7j9a

I hate to be that guy, but I actually did stop watching after the Owens/Cena match. I just lost interest. 

I don't have any interest in following the main shows anymore, which I started to do once again when Owens showed up. Between this match and putting Sasha and Charlotte in a poorly-paced triple threat instead of letting them work six-man tags or have a good one-on-one match, I have no faith that the NXT call-ups will look any good, which in turn makes me reticent to get too into anyone in NXT right now because they'll just be turned into JAGs on the main roster anyway. 

The matches were not good. Sheamus/Orton went on about six to eight minutes too long. People complained about my-turn, your-turn in the Cena/Owens matches, but this match had like no transitions and was just a bunch of really boring stuff except I think I saw Orton do an exploder suplex that I kinda liked.

Reigns/Wyatt was flat out bad because Wyatt worked the heel chinlock on top for about fifty minutes. Another overlong mess with one cool spot (the clothesline counter to the running apron dropkick). At least Harper showed up to be misused again, I'm sure.

The triple threat was a mess. Sasha looks like a star, but the match itself was laid out poorly and had too many contrived spots like all the dives. It's too bad because Sasha and Charlotte have great chemistry, but this triple-threat layout sapped that right out of the match. Brie hit some nice offense, but everyone in the crowd really died whenever she was in there. 

Owens/Cena was more of the same. No, Owens doesn't look bad-ass for taking a million moves before tapping. Everyone already does that anyway. The outcome sucked and I just have no interest in seeing anyone from NXT move on from a personal entertainment standpoint.

New Day/PTPs was very easily the best match on this show. Apron splash from Big E was sick. Great heat-building offense from New Day, at least in my living room. The crowd was somnambulent. Xavier Woods's shit-talking on the outside was fucking great. Thought Young and Titus both have wonderful hot-tag/fired up offense. However, this feud is about six months early. New Day should have had a really long run because they are legit over as heels.

Didn't watch the main event because Rollins flat out sucks and I couldn't give two shits for old-ass 'Taker if I downed a bottle of Dulcolax before the show.

Awful show, shit booking, might have killed my interest in NXT. I'm going to finish by '96 RAW/Nitro watch and stick around to see Bayley finally win the NXT Women's Championship (since they actually know how to book shit right on NXT), and then if more Nitros aren't up, I'm reassessing my Network subscription. My interest in this company is at an all-time low. 

• Like 2

Really glad I dumped my WWE Network subscription and spent my 3 hours watching NWAClassics.com matches and reading twitter reactions to this show. Sounds like another horribly booked WWE PPV that isn't worth the time or the $9.99

Undertaker needs to lose a Buried Alive match and stay buried this time.

Surprisingly solid show, top to bottom. Even the non-finish of Brock/Seth doesn't bother me.

This was the best Owens/Cena match, so far. Owens isn't hurt at all by the finish, despite what some of the IWC dorks say.

• Like 1

Opener blew.  Wyatt/Reigns was decent until the finish extending the fued and inevitibally dragging Ambrose into Bray's black hole of suck.  Tag match was awesome, Diva's match was good whenever Brie wasn't around.

Cena/Owens was the weakest of the 3, and the finish is, well, good to see them giving that young up and comer John Cena a shot.

Main Event was a Brock match, but with the Taker-ference, I have zero interest in seeing a Taker/Brock match where Brock's not the heel, and Taker isn't under 50.  Its not like the last Taker/Brock match set the world on fire.

I loved Taker beating up Brock although if they are trying to make him heel with that kick in the balls in won't work.   Totally agree that not having Rollins getting the pin was terrible.   It made the world title really meaningless.  

But there is one good that came from it.   At least we forgot about worrying whether Kevin Owens is damaged by tapping out to John Cena.   We will have to wait until NXT in Brooklyn for the answer on that one.    

I said this before about Owens/Cena 3.  If this match was on a PWG or Ring of Honor or insert random indy promotion here guys like Jim Ross would be screaming and yelling for months.  but you won't hear ross spend hours saying "That Owens and Cena kid needs to slow down and sell more"

I felt like Taker was selling this like a heel turn for a while there, but then he did a big face exit, so I dunno.

Brock and Sting vs. Taker and HHH would be a little more palatable to me than the horrifying dog shit another Brock/Taker match would be.

Except for the quick tap to the loosest STF ever, that made Chono die for the sole reason of being able to roll in his grave after Yakuza kicking his TV.  That hurt.

Since the story told was the greatest superstar of the last 10 years had to run over Kevin Owens with a train to win, he's not going to suffer.

I feel like we make these kinds of excuses every time Cena wins the feud against an up-and-comer.

If Cena is transitioning into being a gatekeeper, doesn't he eventually have to LET SOMEBODY THROUGH THE FUCKING GATE?

• Like 8

They need a major overhaul on the writing staff, and some new match agents. These shows just aren't fun to watch. Matches going 5 minutes too long(accept for the main event lol), every match with the same structure, and nothing going on outside the ring that's getting anybody over. Owens tapping out is just lol worthy. Brock being destroyed by a grandpa, and potentially giving Taker his win back is just dumb fucking booking. Hey though Cena looked strong, and Seth Mr. Ratings Rollins is still the champ.

The only positive I can think of is Like f'n Harper getting brought off the bench, and Charlotte getting a nice win.

This was the best Owens/Cena match, so far. Owens isn't hurt at all by the finish, despite what some of the IWC dorks say.

Instead of being something special by winning a feud against Cena, he's another in a long line of guys who get a token win before Cena runs the table for the rest of the feud. Now Owens gets to go down to the midcard and trade wins with Ziggler or Big Show or somebody else who's never going to do anything important. Maybe in a few months they'll pretend to elevate him into a feud he won't win with Reigns.

• Like 2

Owens wasn't necessarily buried, but WWE has conditioned so many into thinking tapping out = burial, so I understand why many see the ending as a problem.  I'm not crazy about it because it comes at an awkward time during the feud.  It's just awkward, is all.

I'm probably being too optimistic about that.  I don't know.  *shrugs*  I'll just wait it out.

Reigns-Wyatt was fine, better than fine really.  Wyatt does rely on rest holds too much, but I was happy with the overall presentation of the match.  It was pretty vicious and I expect more at SummerSlam.

Ladies' match was a bit disjointed but otherwise good.  It felt weird whenever Brie was involved.  Sasha/Charlotte have great chemistry and Brie being around took away from that.  Sasha is such a snot--I say that with respect.

Seth Rollins?  Your championship reign is burnt toast.  And bringing Taker back right now makes little sense.  Brock didn't cheat to beat the streak.  He simply won.  It's going to take a lot more than avenging Kane's broken ankle to explain his presence.

So the IC title match gets cancelled and a short, crappy in-ring segment goes on instead.  The show also ends at 10:45 yet Russev, Cesaro, Ambrose, Ziggler, Neville, and the rest of the tag division not in the title match are nowhere to be seen.  Ok then.

Didn't pay much attention to Semen/Orton because I don't care about either of them, but what I saw seemed inoffensive. 

Tag match was solid, though New Day's opening promo went on a bit too long.  The PTPs are getting really good.

Bray/Reigns was decent with some interesting spots and counters to both guys' usual stuff to keep things interesting.  Splitting up the Wyatts was the worst thing they could have possibly done with that group, and it looks like they're now realizing it.  I fear it might be too late though.  It also makes me wonder if Ambrose is eventually going to turn on Reigns once the inevitable tag feud gets started.

I thought this was the weakest of the three Cena/Owens matches.  Having Owens kick out of Cena's limit break AA but actually tapping to one of the least painful looking submissions in the company did no favors either.  I figured Cena was going to win, but there were better ways they could have gone about it.  I'll wait on the lolCenawins and new guy gets burried kvetching after the follow up tomorrow night.

The women's match could have been better if they had actually announced it beforehand.  Rolling out the angle on the go home Raw didn't help promote it or show what the new women were all about to the wider audience and gave it no real build.  Wrestling-wise the match wasn't that great especially with the weakest link from the Bellas team in play.

I didn't really care about the main event, but have no problem with the way it ended.  Taker coming back is fine, though I am under no illusions the actual match will be any good.  Where does Rollins go from here though?

Did anybody else think it looked like Batista under the hoodie at first?

The details I could see was that he had a huge, scraggly beard, and that he was white. So yeah, spitting image of Batista.

I'm gonna admit, for a split second, I thought it was Sandow.

Opener blew.  Wyatt/Reigns was decent until the finish extending the fued and inevitibally dragging Ambrose into Bray's black hole of suck.

Yeah, that's a double whammy for Ambrose: Gets dragged back into a feud with a guy that actively killed his heat, now with the added bonus of getting to kill himself in more garbage matches with Harper.