DVDVR Message Board

Money in the Bank VI

Dolfan in NYC

Owens v. Cena was a blast. Between the lead up and the matches themselves, they are operating at a level so much higher than everything else on the card. 

You can't create that kind of chemistry. Either two people have it or they don't.

The issue that Rollins has run into is there are two gate keepers in the company; Cena and Brock. By cashing in the way he did and Brocks suspension the following night Rollins never had the opportunity to feud with one of the big dogs and establish himself as champ. 

He comes off as a weak champion. I know that is partly by design but it doesn't work in the monthly ppv era.  We've all watched enough WWE programming that we know the chances of them pulling the trigger on Ambrose or him landing the belt on a B-ppv is small.  Which begs the question, why am I supposed to care?

Quick thoughts:

Dusty video was very good. Ten bell salutes always seem to soften me for the crying.

Cena/Owens was GREAT. I know it had the finisher kick-out parade. It bugs me too. I still thought it was great. Two great workers who know how to do a match like this properly. Then Owens does terrific heel work post-match (as Ramsey said, Owens is a real heel in wrestling and I also loved that). Then Owens laughs like a megalomaniac clown perched atop a tower made of scrap metal and shooting a huge laser beam down at the world he's wrecked and conquered. All is right.

The main event was good for what I could see of it. I had major WWE Network issues during it. Many, many freezes. Both guys came out of the match looking strong.

Conflicted over the tag title match. Love the Prime Time Players (and they were the right ones to beat New Day I think), but didn't want New Day's run to end this soon. PTP might go against Harper and Rowan soon, I figure (not sure if wise at this point).

MitB ladder match was rather unimpressive compared to the usual (despite a few nifty powerbombs). Not looking forward to Reigns vs. Wyatt feud (and Reigns really shouldn't be jobbed out to Wyatt the way Ambrose was... yet Wyatt really needs to rebuild his credibility... sigh).

Is Swagger the only guy Barrett can beat at this point? I guess he'd probably beat Axel or Sandow.

Ryback/Big Show was there. Not sure why Miz is being dragged into it (answer: to torture those who dislike him, duh). (note: I actually like all three guys at the moment, so whatever)

The referee didn't even re-ring the bell for Paige/Nikki, did he? Just let the Bellas do whatever, apparently. Paige is right about the conspiracy, I guess.

It's amazing how the perception of Rollins has gone from "WWE MVP" to "get him off my TV" in half a year...and between moveset restriction, scripted promos, and generally being booked to look like a pansy, I don't know how much of it is his fault...like maybe he'd be a terrible promo anyway, but who knows?

Forgot to mention the Cena/Owens post match. So far the promos and matches by both, great stuff. My feud of the year followed by Owens/Zayn.

Just when you think things can't get any worse for King Barrett, they surprise you.

He comes off as a weak champion. I know that is partly by design but it doesn't work in the monthly ppv era.  We've all watched enough WWE programming that we know the chances of them pulling the trigger on Ambrose or him landing the belt on a B-ppv is small.  Which begs the question, why am I supposed to care?

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility to see the WWE title change hands on a B-PPV, but MITB is an A-PPV since it generally is a set-up for the direction the main event is going. The problem was Ambrose winning the belt was pretty much tied up with the idea that Reigns was going to win MITB.

The good thing for Rollins is he's getting closer to getting matches with Brock and Hunter. If the plan is to keep Rollins with the belt till Reigns is "ready" they're going to have to give him strong wins on the Road to Wrestlemania so that should help people's perceptions of Rollins

It's amazing how the perception of Rollins has gone from "WWE MVP" to "get him off my TV" in half a year...and between moveset restriction, scripted promos, and generally being booked to look like a pansy, I don't know how much of it is his fault...like maybe he'd be a terrible promo anyway, but who knows?

Conversely, Cena has become the Internet darling that the marks just don't "get".  Weirdness.

Smoke and mirrors Wrestlemania booking plus Reigns not being Bryan backlash make Rollins look better than he was at the time.  Then reality set in, when Rollins has been pretty ineffective whilst Reigns has been kicking on all cylinders.

• Like 2

Smoke and mirrors Wrestlemania booking plus Reigns not being Bryan backlash make Rollins look better than he was at the time.  Then reality set in, when Rollins has been pretty ineffective whilst Reigns has been kicking on all cylinders.

I still can't believe people find him to be a good singles worker. I have the same issues with him in the WWE that I had with him in the indies. In that regard, that is completely his fault.

DVDVR ‏@D_V_D_V_R 12h12 hours ago

If Sasha Banks didn't exist - John Cena would be the best wrestler in the world right now

That sounds very similar to something I said in March or so that you called me crazy for Phil...

If Sasha Banks didn't exist - John Cena would be the best wrestler in the world right now

That sounds very similar to something I said in March or so that you called me crazy for Phil...

You called him the greatest living worker - you are still crazy for that.

You then toned it down to Top 5 current worker - which at the time the poll was running (and for the time period it was covering) - was also not accurate.

• Like 2

I loved the Cena/Owens match, and with Cena arguing with the ref, I was starting to get a Bret/Austin vibe (especially since none of the counts really seemed that close).  I liked Cena showing frustration and wondering what he had to do to win, but then the flash Springboard Stunner/3rd AA made it seem like "Oh, that's what I had to do, ok."

You then toned it down to Top 5 current worker - which at the time the poll was running (and for the time period it was covering) - was also not accurate.

No, I called him the best in the world today. And I'm still calling him that.

I don't recall ever dropping it down to just top five either.

Wondering how things would've been if Cena got too frustrated and, say, fouled Owens for the loss? you bring it back with the idea that Owens has gotten into Cena's head, Cena's doubting himself, etc. Then you bring back Cena the Terminator for match 3 to just nuke Owens.

Thought occurred to me that if this was in Memphis or one of the other weekly territories they could bring it back like 5-6 times in a row. Cool stuff.

• Like 1

I'm fully prepared to see Cena defeat Owens in a last man standing match with duct tape.

He is. That would be Nikki Bella.

I loved the Cena/Owens match, and with Cena arguing with the ref, I was starting to get a Bret/Austin vibe (especially since none of the counts really seemed that close).  I liked Cena showing frustration and wondering what he had to do to win, but then the flash Springboard Stunner/3rd AA made it seem like "Oh, that's what I had to do, ok."

I've liked that about both Cena/Owens matches with Cena showing rare frustration. Looking around, opinion seems to be Cena/Owens II is better than the first match. I'd agree with that. Can't go wrong with either.

Rubber match at Battleground? Third might be the best yet.

• Like 1

Brian Fowler 

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:43 PM
His act is awful. Bell to bell he the best alive.

Occasionally he goes into serious mode in promos and is so good at it that it makes the god awful character even worse. 

But, for me, the in ring is totally separate. He is the best in the world at the kind of pro wrestling I love most. 

You then argued with me about the 2nd part of your statement

Brian Fowler

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:47 PM
RIPPA, on 07 Mar 2015 - 3:45 PM, said:
Best alive is a pretty fucking broad statement that isn't even remotely true

That is probably objectively true. But I refer back to the last sentence of my post. Nobody does better at what I specifically enjoy seeing in pro wrestling. Ergo, in a purely subjective matter, he gets my vote as being "the best." 

That's all from the Lesnar/Bryan thread - where you also said Cena was a better worker than Bryan. I gave you the benefit of the doubt there that you meant the time period and not ever (though it was always unclear).

And you are right - you didn't say Top 5 in the world. You said Top 5 MATCHES 

Brian Fowler

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:04 AM
Cena is in at least four of my ten favorite matches of the period, maybe five. 

But that's as much a function of Cena being my favorite in-ring performer as it is the reason Cena is my favorite blah blah blah

(The two Brock matches, the triple threat, and the Rusev match, with the LMS with Bray being the maybe.)

• Like 1

I'm wondering what color the sky would be in a world where Nikki Bella is the greatest living worker.  I'm guessing chartreuse.

The real question is whether or not a bizarro world where Nikki Bella is the greatest living worker is the same world where anyone not employed as a WWE referee would fall for the Bella's Twin Magic bit in 2015.

I don't get the whole "Why do refs fall for the switch when the Bellas/Kofi & Xavier don't look alike" complaint.  The ref turns around, sees someone dressed similar to a person in the match pinning someone in a roll up (where faces/plastic surgery are normally obscured), he's going to count the pin.  He isn't a bouncer at the bar checking IDs, he's there to count the pin.  If it was Kane swapping places with Hurricane or Booker T switching with Goldust, I could see the complaint (or even Big E and Kofi).  

• Like 1