DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA Playoffs: OCTOFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

Celtics in a Rousey style route.

Ainge via armbar. Again and again.  But they are also further away than some people think. Stevens is a great coach and has gotten the most out of these guys but who is a #2 option on a championship team?  Nobody.

Celtics have the 4-10 guys like Thomas, Bradley, Kelly O., Sully, and Smart.  They still need the #1 and the #2.

I'd argue he's done one of the harder things to do. He's established a system and a style of play that is successful. Now they know what types of players to go get. That seems much easier to do than just collecting a bunch of talent and making a coach try to figure it out.

• Like 1

I wonder how tongue in cheek "back injury" is supposed to be, knowing how salty Carlisle and Cuban can be.  I'm fucking glad though.  We have a better chance with him not playing.  Carlisle said today that he doubts Rondo ever plays for the team again.  Parsons being done is a BUMMER though.

oeVtsLZ.jpg

I don't get why Rondo was considered a max player even before going to the Mavs. (pre-injury Rondo, probably) He's always seemed more like in the $10-12 million per season range, but he can't shoot, he's grumpy, and older and even at that amount its a big risk.

Fingers crossed he goes to the Knicks....but...I am worried.

I don't get why Rondo was considered a max player even before going to the Mavs. (pre-injury Rondo, probably) He's always seemed more like in the $10-12 million per season range, but he can't shoot, he's grumpy, and older and even at that amount its a big risk.

Guys are given the max when the shouldn't, usually boils down to team being dumb. For all the advance stats guys around the league, all it takes is one. And that one is usually out there somewhere. Watch the Knicks and Lakers get into a bidding war for him. . . 

Carmelo and Rondo slowly eating Derek Fischer's soul seems like destiny.

What sin could have Derek Fisher committed to deserve such a fate?

Him using his daughters health to worm his way out of losing(or non title contenders, not always the same thing), to get back to the Lakers or other title contenders, on MULTIPLE occasions, comes to mind. . . .

• Like 3

Memphis is just a bad matchup for Portland.

If Portland continues to lose this series badly, I would be a little antsy about LaMarcus Aldridge free agent status if I was a Blazers fan.

Okay, I sound like an ESPN "anonymous sources" report.  Ignore this post.

• Like 1

Ainge via armbar. Again and again.  But they are also further away than some people think. Stevens is a great coach and has gotten the most out of these guys but who is a #2 option on a championship team?  Nobody.

Celtics have the 4-10 guys like Thomas, Bradley, Kelly O., Sully, and Smart.  They still need the #1 and the #2.

If I were a Celtics fan (and, as a Pistons fan, let me say fuck the Celtics) I'd be more worried than happy overall (but not about that trade) because they might be staring at that dreaded no man's land where they are too good to get a high lottery pick but not good enough to really contend, and getting out of that rut can be damn near fucking impossible.

Ainge via armbar. Again and again. But they are also further away than some people think. Stevens is a great coach and has gotten the most out of these guys but who is a #2 option on a championship team? Nobody.

Celtics have the 4-10 guys like Thomas, Bradley, Kelly O., Sully, and Smart. They still need the #1 and the #2.

If I were a Celtics fan (and, as a Pistons fan, let me say fuck the Celtics) I'd be more worried than happy overall (but not about that trade) because they might be staring at that dreaded no man's land where they are too good to get a high lottery pick but not good enough to really contend, and getting out of that rut can be damn near fucking impossible.

The Celtics are in a slightly better position than that because they have a bunch of Brooklyn draft picks which could turn out to be high, especially if Lopez leaves.

I'm not convinced that Boston is the FA destination that it often gets credited as being, which could make them top out as 'very good', but Ainge has repeatedly shown he knows what he's doing. I'd have faith if I was a Boston fan.

Man... old man Duncan putting up 28 points. Huge win for the Spurs going back home and taking home court. 

I am bummed that Tony Parker is banged up but Patty Mills couldn't have shaken off his rust at a better time. He also feels like the Spurs best clutch free throw shooter since Manu, Kawhi and Duncan are all guaranteed to go 1-2 in the last two minutes of a game. 

This Spurs/Clippers game is way too good to be a first round game.

Oh, get a grip. The first round has been so shitty that its shocking to finally see a good game.

Tim Duncan probably should go down as the most underrated player ever.  You keep waiting for him to fold and he never does.  One of the few NBA players older than me and he just destroyed everybody.

Guys are given the max when the shouldn't, usually boils down to team being dumb. For all the advance stats guys around the league, all it takes is one. And that one is usually out there somewhere. Watch the Knicks and Lakers get into a bidding war for him. . . 

Rondo in the triangle offense would be a bad idea. I would think Phil would know that by now.

Rondo as a starting point guard is a bad idea.  He just doesn't have the skills to play the way the leauge is going these days.  He can't shoot, get to the basket, or shoot free throws. In the NBA threes, layups, and free throws are what every offense is designed to do.  His game has not aged well, and point guard is the most loaded position in the entire league.

Rondo joining the Lakers scares me. We don't need to keep burying a deeper hole with our history of point guards lately. :) Just stick with Jordan Clarkson or draft D'Angelo Russell. That combo would be fun too.

Bad enough Rondo's a former Celtic....and Mav.

Rondo, if healthy and/or emotionally stable, is a wonderful player. He has his flaws. But he does so many things so well. Basketball has changed a lot since the Celtics heyday, but it hasn't been a reinvented sport. The Spurs are at the forefront of what the league has become. Tony Parker can't shoot for anything from deep. The three has essentially been eliminated from his game. He's taken 1.3's per game this year. This is the highest since 2004-05. He scores a lot from the mid-range.

Rondo's problem is that he's a mercurial brat. Rick Carlisle is a wonderful coach. He might be hard to deal with -- I don't know -- but he's been great everywhere he's been and has a title with a Mavericks team that wasn't a title team on paper. There was an article on ESPN.com today about the Rondo/Carlisle relationship. The problem wasn't just with Rondo wanting to call plays. It was with Rondo slowing down the pace of the game so he could call plays, whereas the Mavs really like to play a free-flowing read/react game. That's hard to fit into mid-season, but Rondo's skills match that perfectly, especially since he's a terrific rebounder and can just go as soon as he gets the ball. It's just that he's not used to that and doesn't really feel like changing.

He's also become lazy as hell on defense. That's just embarrassing. He was a great defensive player. He still should be. He has the athleticism and smarts for that.

He actually showed flashes of that defense during the season.  He gave Westbrook and Harden hell on separate occasions.  He even gets the the basket fairly well, but he's so scared of being fouled, he will only go for the most wide open of layups.  The offense for the team was night and day when he wasn't on the floor, to the point where you would swear it was a different team.

Rondo, if healthy and/or emotionally stable, is a wonderful player. He has his flaws. But he does so many things so well. Basketball has changed a lot since the Celtics heyday, but it hasn't been a reinvented sport. The Spurs are at the forefront of what the league has become. Tony Parker can't shoot for anything from deep. The three has essentially been eliminated from his game. He's taken 1.3's per game this year. This is the highest since 2004-05. He scores a lot from the mid-range.

Rondo's problem is that he's a mercurial brat. Rick Carlisle is a wonderful coach. He might be hard to deal with -- I don't know -- but he's been great everywhere he's been and has a title with a Mavericks team that wasn't a title team on paper. There was an article on ESPN.com today about the Rondo/Carlisle relationship. The problem wasn't just with Rondo wanting to call plays. It was with Rondo slowing down the pace of the game so he could call plays, whereas the Mavs really like to play a free-flowing read/react game. That's hard to fit into mid-season, but Rondo's skills match that perfectly, especially since he's a terrific rebounder and can just go as soon as he gets the ball. It's just that he's not used to that and doesn't really feel like changing.

He's also become lazy as hell on defense. That's just embarrassing. He was a great defensive player. He still should be. He has the athleticism and smarts for that.

The difference between Rondo and Parker is that Parker keeps the offense on their toes by going to the basket, and shoots 78% from the line.  Rondo made 31 free throws all season at 40%.  If Rondo goes to the basket, the defense can just foul him and make him try to make free throws, which odds are he can't.  You can't have a starting point guard that the defense doesn't have to defend.