DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

I just saw an article where Jennifer Lawrence says she's probably done with Mystique after this because she's afraid of the "toxins" that are maybe probably who knows in the makeup.

“Now I’m almost 25 and I’m like, ‘I can’t even pronounce this and that’s going in my nose? I’m breathing that?’,” she said when quizzed about her makeup.

Another Hollywood rocket scientist there.  Maybe the makeup reacts with her "gluten intolerance."

I just saw an article where Jennifer Lawrence says she's probably done with Mystique after this because she's afraid of the "toxins" that are maybe probably who knows in the makeup.

“Now I’m almost 25 and I’m like, ‘I can’t even pronounce this and that’s going in my nose? I’m breathing that?’,” she said when quizzed about her makeup.

Another Hollywood rocket scientist there.  Maybe the makeup reacts with her "gluten intolerance."

I like how she worries about the toxins she's breathing in from the makeup... and yet she smokes. 

• Like 1

Fame changes people. Even people who's nickname on the set of the first Hunger Games was Catpiss Neverclean.

Josh Trank’s Fantastic Four hasn’t even hit theaters yet, but X-Men director Bryan Singer already wants the rebooted First Family in his mutant sandbox.

In a recent interview, Singer—who’s busy filming next year’s X-Men: Apocalypse—revealed that there’s been initial talks of a live-action X-Men and Fantastic Four crossover.  “Those ideas are in play,” he says. “That would be a natural match-up because they’re both ensemble films and there is a natural mechanism by which to do it.” And what might that “natural mechanism” (using the term “natural liberally, given that it’s a comic book universe) be? Why, time travel, of course! “It deals with time,” Singer revealed in an interview with Yahoo Movies. “That’s all I’m going to say.”

Obviously, it wouldn't be Singer's first rodeo with time-travel. He first played hop-scotch with the time stream in 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past, bending all sorts of continuity rules along the way. So, there's no reason why he coulndn't do the same to get the current X-Men cast--who are currently in the eighties--in sync with Trank's modern-day Fantastic Four. While Singer digressed that Fox will wait to see how August’s Fantastic Four, and it’s already-slated sequel, will perform before greenlighting such a crossover, it’s clear that Fox is getting its (superpowered) ducks in a row should the box office numbers go their way.

I don't know what to think about this, honestly.

What was the story of that X-Men vs Fantastic Four in the comics again? Something to do with Reed finding a journal entry that suggested he'd intentionally designed the spaceship to absorb Cosmic Rays, because Earth would need Superheroes... and then the X-Men showed up.

It was basically an excuse to have Rogue steal Torch's powers and burn all her clothes off, and also have Franklin make friends with Kitty Pryde, iirc.

Wait, there's a sequel already greenlit? Why? Shouldn't we wait to see how this one, y'know, PERFORMS first?

I look at 2016, 2017, and 2018 on Movie Insider regularly. These summer release dates go FAST. I don't think any studio is waiting now.

You want someone to do a movie mashup of X-men Age of Apocalypse, and Apocalypse Now? Wolverine vs Colonel Kurtz?  That wouldn't work at all.

• Like 1

You want someone to do a movie mashup of X-men Age of Apocalypse, and Apocalypse Now? Wolverine vs Colonel Kurtz?  That wouldn't work at all.

"Salem. Shit. I'm still only in Salem. Every time, I think I'm gonna wake up back in Japan."

so what are the odds that Rama-Tut will be introduced in Apocalypse now?

Rama Tut / Immortus / Kang The Conqueror / Nathan Richards is probably bundled with either the Fantastic Four IP of the Avengers IP.

If Rama Tut does show up in Apocalypse, I think it will be for name dropping purposes only. 

Doesn't really matter though.  As we saw with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, there isn't much keeping the characters from being shoehorned or retconned into MCU or non-MCU storylines.  Rama Tut could show up in Apocalypse and Kang could still be used in the MCU or with the FF at another time depending on how long the gravy train lasts.

Kang and his various aliases are tied in with the FF property at Fox. I think Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch are a one-off, because Wanda didn't really play a role in DoFP, and of course now Pietro is no longer in the MCU.

From the Rogue cut, it seems Wanda might not have appeared at all in DoFP. At one point, the little sister is told to "go bug your sister" which would presumably be Peter's twin.

Kang and his various aliases are tied in with the FF property at Fox. I think Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch are a one-off, because Wanda didn't really play a role in DoFP, and of course now Pietro is no longer in the MCU.

I don't think they were one offs so much as Marvel preferring to use the characters they don't have to share.

doesn't Fox have the rights over the Fantastic Four and X-Men? Why couldn't they use one thing from the FF IP for an X-Men movie, to later set up a team-up movie that the studio has the rights to? If I'm understanding this right, Fox has the rights to everything we've discussing.

So they couldn't drop Storm, for example, into the sequel for Fantastic Four if they wanted to, because it's explicitly tied to the X-Men rights?

Hollywood is so confusing.