DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

They're randomly sticking Colossus into the Deadpool movie, which is pretty much the same thing. I think that it's just old-school Hollywood psychology to keep a brand name "strong" by not watering it down with crossovers. Remember, the average studio executive thinks that the average movie viewer is almost literally retarded, and more easily confused than the guy from Memento. Especially at FOX of all places.

Sorry, yes. If Fox wanted to, they could do a FF/X-Men team-up mega-event involving Kang messing with timelines.

As Jingus said, they're dumb, so they won't even try something close to that.

I was actually positive about the FF movie after the first bit of footage came out, but everything I see now just makes it seem worse and worse. Between the government involvement, the half-hearted pathos and what seems to be the exact same fight with Doom, it's like they just re-filmed the other two movies through a different lens.

Do you guys know that if the X-Men movies made any sense, Havok would be like 40 in Apocalypse?

Edit: I thought we had seen a picture of him, showing that he hasn't aged. I guess we haven't but considering no one else has aged since 1962...

Apocalypse is a new timeline though. An alternate.

Not from First Class it isn't.

I mean, I don't care that the timeline is immensely fucked up, but it definitely is.

Jubilee also apparently remains a teenager from the 80's into the mid-00's or early 2010's (remember, the first couple X-Men movies specifically stated they were in the "near future."). Changing their timeline definitely shouldn't cause her to be born two or three decades early.

Well between you, me and the lamppost and the desk I was very skeptical of the old cast returning for Days of Future Past.  Now I really loved that movie and it was cool they were in it but I still don't think a total reboot would have been a horrible idea.

Anyway, for as bad as Apocalypse looks in these photos I think Jubilee and Jean look great. I think Fassbender's Magneto suit looks awesome. I think Psylocke looks awesome too. 

I see it as more of a make-good than anything else. Despite being a favorite character of hordes of younger fans who were first introduced to the franchise by the 90s cartoon (including yours truly), the movies barely even bothered to have Jubilee show up in a cameo. I don't think that she ever speaks, nor ever has her name spoken. Hell, she was played by two different actresses in the older X-films. So I don't mind that they're ignoring the other series (which is kinda-sorta an alternate timeline) in this specific instance because it's correcting something that was pretty lame the first time around, and finally giving us what we want.

Also, Angel in this series would be like twenty years younger than he was in X-men 3. But honestly, who cares? The movies have essentially undergone a stealth-reboot, practically everything is up for grabs. (Other than being fairly safe that Xavier, Beast, Storm, Cyclops, and Jean won't be killed off anytime soon, seeing as how they all showed up in Wolverine's alternate future at the end of the last movie.)

But even as a reboot it doesn't make sense because characters introduced in First Class aren't aging after twenty years. Xavier and Magneto in Apocalypse should be in their fifties, right?

Not to mention, Xavier had a vision of kids in First Class that looked like Storm and Cyclops and they were either teen or pre-teen in the 60s. Maybe people just hate mutants because they found the fountain of youth and they aren't telling anyone about it.

Bless this franchise for giving us the true superhero comic experience.

Yeah. Once ANY storytelling franchise goes on long enough, the entire idea of having an official "canon" becomes a ludicrous impossibility. How many times have both Marvel and DC rebooted the entire continuities of a major series? From "Crisis on Infinite Earths" to "Brand New Day", they love hitting that reset button. Which is something they're justifiably criticized about, on the page; sometimes there's no really good reason to shake things up.

But in a movie series, you're much more constrained. No writer or director in the history of ever has truly had complete control over what they're allowed to do in a movie. Making a motion picture is infinitely more expensive than writing/drawing a funnybook, and the people who provide the budget are the ones who decide what gets made. And I seriously doubt Fox would agree to fund an entire X-Men series which is entirely set in the 1960s. They'd see that as being pointlessly limiting, repetitive, and difficult to produce. So either you get movies set in different time periods, or you get no X-Men movies at all.

"Just" aging the actors is a process which takes a tremendous amount of time, money, effort, inconvenience, and technological know-how. Especially to do it WELL; and there's lots of people who still react to the vast majority of aging makeup with irrepressible giggles. Most aging makeup tends to look decidedly phony. Even in the films where they do it well, like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, go back and watch just how often they cut away from getting a good look at Benjamin, because every second of CGI onscreen means tons of money spent. It's an enormous technical and financial hassle and the actors hate being trapped in the makeup chair for hours and hours every morning. Especially since the makeupp crew on the X-movies are ALREADY working their asses off to make Mystique, Beast, Nightcrawler & Co. all look like they're supposed to.

It's simply not practically feasible to film an entire massive special-effects-based movie in which every single character in a large ensemble is wearing tastefully convincing old-age makeup. When Tron or Ant-man did it, they only focused on a small number of characters who had a limited amount of screentime. It would make the movie costlier and harder to produce than Avatar to have all of them aged twenty years in every single shot.

frank1_full.jpg

Y'all fucking skipped over the photo of Matt with the cast of He-Man

For shame...

Legit didn't know it was Matt D till you said. Hopefully as a make good, I've quoted it so it makes the newest page. Sorry, Matt. How did the photo come about? Masters of the Universe was one of my favourite films as a kid and I still have a soft spot for it.

Yeah, the timeline doesn't add up perfectly. But... so what? Does it really matter? Would everyone have preferred that the series had stayed in the 1960s and aged in real time?

Yeah, the X-Men timeline has holes compared to the MCU. I see X-Men: Days of Future Past as Bryan Singer's return to the series trying to ammend the continuity best he could by losing what people don't like, X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I see X-Men: Days of Future Past as the Singer threequel to X-Men and X2.