DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Snowed In 1-26-15

MGFanJay

So the knee jerk reaction karma strikes again! Why is it when something goof happens, Vince gets ignored but something you don't like happens and everyone is ready to ship Vince off to the old folks home?

I honestly think Reigns is the best promo guy out of the Shield. He's had some fucking awful promos, but he's proven that less is more. And his presence and look, he can make everyone go 'uh nevermind.' In thinking he can't bring the intrigue. Really makes me wish they put him with guys who would've forced him to step up his badassery in the ring like Barrett or Cesaro instead of slugs like Orton and the Big Show.

Rollins talks every damn show and hasn't had a memorable or noteworthy promo yet. And Dean's shtick is either really neat or fucking stupid. I'm in the latter group.

whaaaaat

• Like 4

So the knee jerk reaction karma strikes again! Why is it when something goof happens, Vince gets ignored but something you don't like happens and everyone is ready to ship Vince off to the old folks home?

I honestly think Reigns is the best promo guy out of the Shield. He's had some fucking awful promos, but he's proven that less is more. And his presence and look, he can make everyone go 'uh nevermind.' In thinking he can't bring the intrigue. Really makes me wish they put him with guys who would've forced him to step up his badassery in the ring like Barrett or Cesaro instead of slugs like Orton and the Big Show.

Rollins talks every damn show and hasn't had a memorable or noteworthy promo yet. And Dean's shtick is either really neat or fucking stupid. I'm in the latter group.

whaaaaat

I gave my reasons. Seth isn't bad or good, just there while I can't get into Dean's shit. Reigns has had bad promos but when he's protected, they are great because they are to the point.

When he's fed every line, you mean? Like on RAW last night? Or do you mean the Smackdown promos, where they can edit around his fuck-ups? Or did you just really like the Jack and the Beanstalk promo? :P I guess it's different strokes 'n all, since I think Ambrose is easily the best promo out of anyone, and Rollins is getting there (especially after last night). Reigns was good when The Shield was still together, but now, it's just a total clusterfuck. I guess that's what you mean by protected, when he doesn't have to give a 5 minute promo written by an old man.

IMO, Ambrose > Rollins > Reigns. But I'm just a fuckin' mark for Ambrose, I love him like you love the Bellas or BNB.

To add to my thought that Heyman will double cross Brock at WM and Roman is Heyman's new client, maybe they'll do a loser leaves town thingy to explain the likelihood that there will be no rematch with Brock and Roman if Brock leaves after WM.

Take a listen to Heyman on the Austin podcast from a few weeks back. He gives a lot of insight into what he is trying to accomplish in his promos. It was taped just after Summerslam where they were trying to rebuild Cena. He explained how he can be over complimentary to a Cena or a Reigns because he's just the manager. And there isn't a point in him just running down the opponent because his job is to get people interested in the match, not talk up Brock. He lets Brock play the bad guy with no remorse.

My guess is last night Heyman was selling the match, not foreshadowing a turn.

What made Heyman so great last night is he was doing the talking for both Brock and Reigns.

I think Ambrose is the best promo of the three, but Reigns comes across more natural in his delivery than Rollins. Rollins, to me, comes off like the 9th grader in a class full of juniors trying to tell everyone how tough he is. Even though Reigns' material has been awful, his delivery has been at worst "fine." 

Cool segment, which gave us back "i don't say much and just wink at Renee' Roman, which is what he's supposed to be. 

But that segment was alllllllllll Paul Heyman. Earlier in the night Roman happy clappy said the WWE Universe buys a ticket and can give him mixed reactions and held up a powder blue 'never give up' shirt. Annnnd it suuuuucked.

Has Reigns ever had a main event singles match? I honestly can't think of one, and that is sort of terrifying. I hope the dude proves us wrong, but from a business standpoint, asking him to carry the main event at Mania is terrifying to me. 

Also, where are the good Rusev matches? Wha? You don't even need full matches, just gifs of him hitting Big Show in the face with standing dropkicks. 

tumblr_ndex2tiP4i1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

as pretty as Lana

I think Ambrose is the best promo of the three, but Reigns comes across more natural in his delivery than Rollins. Rollins, to me, comes off like the 9th grader in a class full of juniors trying to tell everyone how tough he is. Even though Reigns' material has been awful, his delivery has been at worst "fine." 

That's Rollins' character though. He's projecting toughness (talking big) and usually acting a coward when the chips are down.

• Like 4

Rollins' biggest problem is he goes on for too long, but that's probably HHH's influence. "Yeah Seth that 15 minute promo was ok, but just think how much better it would've been with another 5 minutes where you recapped what you said in the first half of it".

Ambrose to me is the most charismatic guy on the roster. Seeing that segment last night makes me wonder how they could spend the last 5 months jobbing this guy out.

Maybe a giant brawl ensues as Brock decides to fight a dozen Samoans at once.

...AAAAAAND the Universe implodes....just caves in. Christ, why not add Haku and Harley Race circa 1978 into the mix too...

I think Brock sells a Samoan headbutt like death, maybe even gets color.  

I mean, if he wants to do business that is.  

If we're booking the territory so to speak... Honestly, that's how next week's Raw should go off the air...picture it..

Reigns/Lesnar contract signing gets physical, tables flipped, chairs thrown.  Brock throws him a beating for a few, gets cocky and misses something, Reigns hits him with a Gran Hamada style headbutt and Brock gets some color...Big shmoz with the ring filling up with bodies and then Raw goes off the air.

I dunno, it'd probably be a superman punch.

Reigns needs some new ring gear too...for fucks sake man you're living in the past.  The Shield is dead, get over it.

Edited by misanthrope304

I mean, come on though.  Roman can't talk.  Rollins just did this a few weeks ago:

I could listen to an argument that Rollins is a better promo than Ambrose.  I would disagree, but I could see a valid argument being made.  If you think Reigns is even in the same ballpark as the other two, I'm going to go ahead and dismiss you as having just awful taste in things.  Not just wrestling things, like, I would assume every life choice you ever made was just WRONG.

• Like 4

Rollins tends to sound like he's gritting his teeth in an attempt to be tough.  It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't talk for 20 minutes at a time.

That would be true for pretty much everybody in wrestling history barring the Rock, maybe. I don't remember which grumpy older dude was saying it on their podcast in the past few months but everybody is completely overexposed, cutting 10+ minute promos every week at least once, for some twice or three times. You can get your point across in two minutes or less and you don't become just a thing that people feel they know inside and out. Bray is probably the most victimized from this. It's hard to feel like something different, exotic, whatever when you're paraded out to do 5-10 minute promos twice a week. Less is more with so much in pro wrestling. But then again, Vince doesn't do pro wrestling.

• Like 1

Rikishi needs to run over Brock with a car and then Brock needs to get back up mildly annoyed. Then they can kayfabe that Roman's spear has to be more powerful than getting hit with an SUV in order for him to win.

Then the Samoans gather and decide that they need to have Roman receive special training. From something even more mystical than a Samoan. A TONGAN.

Cue Meng training Roman.

Roman comes back from training to do the contract signing, Brock breaks a wooden chair over his head and promptly gets put into the Tongan Death Grip.

Somehow, we need Bunkhouse Buck in there, but I swear all this can work.

Rikishi needs to run over Brock with a car and then Brock needs to get back up mildly annoyed. Then they can kayfabe that Roman's spear has to be more powerful than getting hit with an SUV in order for him to win.

Then the Samoans gather and decide that they need to have Roman receive special training. From something even more mystical than a Samoan. A TONGAN.

Cue Meng training Roman.

Roman comes back from training to do the contract signing, Brock breaks a wooden chair over his head and promptly gets put into the Tongan Death Grip.

Somehow, we need Bunkhouse Buck in there, but I swear all this can work.

Bunkhouse Buck is Brock's uncle, Uncle Buck. While Brock is defending the WWE Network belt and being the best friend ever; Uncle Buck, Sable, and Col. Parker are fortifying Brock's compound. They're stocking up on weapons and ammunition for when the South Pacific islanders rise up and try to wipe out the rest of humanity.

Innocuous typo, you say?

Why is it when something goof happens, Vince gets ignored...

Something goof did happen ;)