DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

Couple of things on the triangle match.  We've seen table spots and finisher kickouts before.  For me, what made the match great was that there was a clear power hierarchy.  Lesnar > Cena > Rollins.  They threw in a couple of Superman spots for Cena to remind you that he was above Rollins.  I loved the idea of Cena and Rollins having to team up to take out Lesnar, then going after each other, not because they're fighting over the pinfall, but because they believe they have a better chance of winning the match against each other than they do even against a hurt Lesnar.  This is the kind of thing 50-50 booking robs you of. 

When Lesnar was down on the outside, Cena and Rollins were doing some really great work, but I wasn't buying any of the near falls because I was thinking Brock had to be involved in the finish.  The longer they went, the more certain I was that Brock had to come back.  Then J&J got involved again, and IMO the match started going downhill a little.

Then Rollins went up for what I was thinking would be a moonsault, BOOM Phoenix Splash, and just when I was starting to think that I might actually buy THAT as a near fall, BOOM Lesnar pops up and is back in the ring again (I was thinking he'd, like, be crawling back into the ring).  Those two moments right on top of each other cemented the greatness.  I'm also glad Cena didn't kick out of the Phoenix.

The finish was also helped by the fact that Lesnar can wait so long and spring up to his feet so fast that it doesn't look like Rollins has time to realize he's about to get countered, which is what usually happens and that Rollins was confident enough in him that he was able to run full speed the whole time.

Terrifying.

Two things I wanted to see:

- While communication broke down between Show & Kane, as Reigns rested, I was hoping that the two would accidentally teeter themselves over the top rope while they were choking each other. Reigns would have been push-dead.

- Brock gets stretchered out on the backboard, only to reappear still strapped to the board, as EMTs still hang on tightly behind. He remains strapped to said board (still dragging said EMTs) until the end of the match*.

*... until the end of March. FTFM

The only play is a Reigns heel turn to beat Brock ala Austin at Mania 17. Reigns is getting booed out of the joint either way. Bryan chasing the belt over the summer is big business, Cena/Reigns is still fresh, Rollins could easily be turned, Ambrose, Ziggler, Orton etc are there as contenders. Turn him, let someone talk for him, and let better workers guide him to some decent matches while he finds his footing as a character. Or just keep booking him as Cena 2.0 lol.

I'm looking forward to the video of that fat kid goi g apeshit over the Rumble this year. What DVD/Blu-ray does he destroy this year? Oh, the possibilities!

He was actually attending Royal Rumble this year iirc, so maybe we'll get a live reaction of him trying to block someone's car.

I'll just assume he was signing shirts and stuff.

Also, someone remind me how long Rollins has to use the briefcase?  Is it until the end of Wrestlemania 31, or is it technically one year from Wrestlemania XXX (so April 6, 2015)?

He has until July IIRC b/c that's when MITB took place last year.

• Like 1

You know the scariest thing about Reigns to me is he HAS that charisma. Go back and watch the Main Event just after Mania were the SHIELD beats the Wyatts and the promo afterwards. Tell me that guy isn't a major superstar in the making.

The problem is he is getting scripted to death with nothing good to say, and it shows. He's not a long winded talker, he's a "come in and say little, but the little makes an impact" talker. But the E can't fucking have those, because they have 3 hours to fill.

I'm fairly certain the idea is to force a Rocky Maivia -> The Rock turn for Reigns but that kinda shit can't be designed and can't be intentional and Dwayne has more charisma in the People's Toenail than Roman has in his whole body.

Roman: Hey, Rock, my blood brother-ish, do you have any advice on how to make this work

Rock: It's not that hard.  All you have to do is be instantly the most charismatic person on earth with a brain that fires out words like a machine in real time live...and then just go out there and be yourself. 

Roman: Uhhh.

Rock: So we're good? Great.  I gotta go make a movie or hump someone or something.

• Like 1

You know the scariest thing about Reigns to me is he HAS that charisma. Go back and watch the Main Event just after Mania were the SHIELD beats the Wyatts and the promo afterwards. Tell me that guy isn't a major superstar in the making.

That is the most confounding part of the whole debacle. He is very likable and charismatic, they just keep shoving him away from his strengths. I'd be like watching a subdued Hogan in 87, cutting 20 minute promos about how he respected his opponent and how he wasn't sure he could win. Nevermind not playing to strengths, they seem to be highlighting weakness at this point.

Hey so wait why does the authority care if Roman wins the Rumble or not? Who did they want to win the Rumble?

From a kayfabe standpoint, they'd probably prefer Show or Kane just because they control them. But, assuming you're referring to HHH and Stephanie coming out at the end, I think that was more them being pissed that Rock showed up out of nowhere and beat down their guys, alluding back to the Sting thing. HHH is pissed at all these guys invading his shows without his consent or whatever.

They've basically made Reigns into the cookie cutter Smilin' WWE Babyface. That even hurt Brock for a time when he was Smilin' Brock Lesnar. So instead of being a quite badass, talking trash in the ring kinda guy, they've made him smile a bunch, had him be vulnerable, gave him cocky and silly lines, etc.

They've basically made Reigns into the cookie cutter Smilin' WWE Babyface.

THis is all fucing Cena's fault isn't it.

If Rock is useful in any way it's that maybe he can talk some sense into Vince in a way that makes it think it's Vince's idea.  He knows how to do that, right?

Well, the smilin' WWE babyface came before Cena, but Cena seems to have perfected and embraced it. And honestly, good on him. That's such a deathtrap for some guy and for Cena and Daniel Bryan, it works really well. Not so much if you're CM Punk, Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar, etc.

I feel terrible for Reigns in general. This isn't his fault, and the crowd aren't really booing him, they are booing the booking of the show. But since Vince isn't coming out on stage, they boo his hand picked golden boy instead. Sucks

This. The poor guy is being fed to the wolves because Vince is living in a fucking dream world that is populated by people that have to go along with him because he pays their bills. What a fucking nightmare for Roman.

By that I assume you mean our scenarios ruin the "unstoppable monster Brock" aura they've built up. To that I'd say, is getting cashed in on going to hurt that worse then him getting pinned clean in the middle from a spear/Superman punch combo (which you know is the booked finish to the Reigns-Lesnar match) after he basically no-sold like 4 AAs yesterday?

There is no right answer. The right answer was Bryan, but they aren't doing that. Everything else is just varying levels of awful.

Bryan was the worst choice.  He won last year, now the injury cannot be helped but his goofing off and going to all the different non-medical doctors held up the company through Summerslam.  Looking back, after watching his 'do not want surgery' whining and the Bella's comment about Bryan never picking up the tab he comes off as a bit of a Diva.  I doubt that comment being left on Divas was an accident.

He deserves to sit in the midcard for a bit until he proves that he can stay healthy.

Reigns was the right choice with Lesnar as champ.  Bryan would get tossed around like a rag doll.  Reigns winning and Rollins cashing in creates an exciting feud that harkens back to the SHIELD breakup.

That is not even the least of their problems.  Someone mentioned a lack of flow to the PPV and they are right.  I cancelled the Network a week before the PPV because the Raw's were just plain horrible.

If I flip on the TV and HHH/Steph are talking at 8:20 I find something else to do.  The Authority storyline, which picked up right when MNF ended, does nothing for me.  Steph is a stale character who is copying every Reality Show Diva and pulling the same promos from Jericho's arrival.  HHH is just boring to me, I know he is building towards a match with Sting but I am not excited about it.

It feels like everything is centered around them and it bores me to no end.

They have a nice tag team division that is getting lost in the crowd.  The Ascension was botched when they had them go over Mizdow to open, fed them jobbers, and then had the Clique take them out.  They either go over huge as monster heels or get lost in the mix and they chose the latter.

The heel side has Rollins and that is it.  Rusev will get Cena sooner or later and Wyatt is floating in the wind.  Rollins has two lackeys who do good as lackeys and then Big Show and Kane who are lost with the Authority.  If Rollins goes down there is nobody to fill his shoes.  Kane and Big Show are better off feuding with the big guys like Ryback, Harper, Swagger, Henry, etc.  They could have some nice big guy matches if they put some effort into it.

Then you get the announcing which is horrible.  Nobody has any idea how to put over a heel.  JBL spends his time burying Kidd when if Heenan was there he would be posting cat videos, cat facts, and harping on the face announcer asking him if he hates cats and other animals.

FInally you get the production which fell off the cliff.  They have too many skits where people are at the announcers table which takes away from the in ring action.  It may play well on TV but if I were there live for the last few Raw's I would question buying tickets the next time around.  There seems to be a lack of knowing how to play to an arena crowd as if they are trying to NXT the show (which works in a small crowd) but arenas are a different story.

Don't read that much into Philly crowds.  Going back to the Freebirds/Midnight Express match they are notorious for being snarky and counter to everyone.

I called Brock going back to UFC and people thought that there was no chance.  Book it, he will go back and his body looks like he is ready for the UFC.

A couple of weeks ago I pulled the plug.  Since the Royal Rumble the product has lacked direction so I found better things to do.

• Like 1

Reigns is the right choice as long as you are willing to ignore that A: the crowd, Philly or not, don't really care about him all that much at the moment B: He is the least likely to be able to pull off a Mania main event level match with Lesnar, much less anyone else.

Even moving past Bryan, Ziggler and Ambrose on the face side are hotter then Reigns to the fanbase in spite of them trying to kill Dean dead, and Brock is getting cheered so putting him in with a new high level heel,like Rusev still makes sense. And all of those options were much less likely to cause freaking USA Today articles calling the Rumble "disastrous"

The only play is a Reigns heel turn to beat Brock ala Austin at Mania 17. Reigns is getting booed out of the joint either way. Bryan chasing the belt over the summer is big business, Cena/Reigns is still fresh, Rollins could easily be turned, Ambrose, Ziggler, Orton etc are there as contenders. Turn him, let someone talk for him, and let better workers guide him to some decent matches while he finds his footing as a character. Or just keep booking him as Cena 2.0 lol.

We need a Reigns Wins LOL meme now