DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

Everybody comes back. Hogan and Bret came back.

Neither of them ruined the main event of WrestleMania and damaged Vince's handpicked new franchise, as Brock would theoretically do in this absurd scenario.

I think it comes down to some folks really, REALLY not wanting to see Reigns on top.  I can respect if you don't think he's ready or you simply don't like him.  But IMO, some are getting close to wishing something bad on him, even if they ultimately don't mean it.  It's wrestling.  It's not that serious.

For those who think that the Jon Stewart stuff isn't a big deal, people have come out of the woodwork to post about. One was Mark Evanier (www.newsfromme.com) who posted this.

Jon Stewart has some sort of feud going with WWE wrestler Seth Rollins and Stewart has accepted an invite/challenge to appear on something called WWE Monday Night Raw, which on the cable channels I get is broadcast on a lot of days per week, including sometimes Mondays. I just read several articles about this grudge match and can't quite figure out if Stewart is appearing on the episode that airs this Monday or if he's taping something on Monday for it or if he's taping something that will appear on some Monday. Can someone clarify this for me? I might want to actually watch a wrestling match for the first time in many years.

Some time ago, I co-produced a prime-time CBS special with a bunch of wrestlers — "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, Captain Lou Albano and Hulk Hogan. One of our Exec Producers was Vince McMahon, president of what was then called the World Wrestling Federation and is now the WWE. Before and after it, I followed wrestling for a while but I have this problem with sports…and yes, I know many people do not consider what the WWE offers as a sport.

I can't follow sports, only people. I was only interested in the Dodgers when they were Sandy Koufax, Maury Wills, Don Drysdale, Frank Howard, John Roseboro, Walter Alston and others of that era. When too many strangers began appearing on the field, I lost interest in that whole world. I was the same way when I found new wrestlers turning up in the ring.

Before I got to that point, I learned a very valuable lesson about that business. Early in my brief association with Vince McMahon, I found myself sitting with him in the ABC commissary, talking and getting acquainted. I've told this story here before but it's been a while…

At the time, Mr. T was still something of a TV superstar but was occasionally popping up in the ring, teaming up with Hulk Hogan to thrash bad guys who were still bad guys. If only to make conversation, I asked McMahon how he was able to persuade Mr. T, who then seemed to have a real acting career of sorts, to get into the wrestling biz.

Vince looked at me like I'd just asked him the stupidest question in the history of Mankind (an accomplishment of which I am more than capable) and said the following very calmly, the way you'd talk to a child with a severe learning disability. He said, "In the history of Professional Wrestling, no one has ever done anything for any reason except money."

I've told that story to people who know the wrestling profession better than I do. They've all said, "You know now the only thing you need to know about that business."

I love 1986 Vince saying that.

• Like 2

Ok, let's be perfectly clear here. Brock is not going to shoot on Reigns. Brock is not going to no-show Wrestlemania. The worst thing Brock might do is half-ass the match. Even that I don't see as a particularly likely outcome. The match might not be the greatest just because neither Reigns nor Lesnar are ring generals, and someone's gonna have to call the match.

It'll be fine, Lesnar has clearly matured as a worker and whether it's due to the boatload of cash or the light schedule always gives it 1000%. He'll throw Reigns around like a ragdoll for 15 minutes which will be glorious and either get the pin (he stays) or something big happens to allow Reigns (or Rollins) to walk out with the championship. Will the audience be mixed? Absolutely, but I HOPE even WWE as stupid as they have been through the past two rumbles are savvy enough to realise this will happen at Mania and structure the match in a way to make the reactions a part of the match rather than against it.

Also, contentious statement, but to me Reigns is more 'ready' than Cena was at the same time in his career. It's just more that he isn't Daniel Bryan.

• Like 1

Just because Reigns had a good match with a guy who can have a good match with 99% of the wrestlers on planet Earth doesn't make him more ready than Cena was in 2005.

If they go forward with Reigns as a face it'll be 1995 Diesel all over again. They already have his Mabel feud lined up with Big Show lmao.

• Like 2

In ring, Cena was definitely not ready in 2005.  He got better in 2006 before suddenly being a fully formed superworker in 2007.

Reigns is probably better in-ring right now than Cena in 2005.  But Cena was hands down the most over performer on the roster. I don't think Roman is top 5.

If Vince was really so crazy about Reigns why didn't they pull the trigger on him winning the Rumble last year?

I know they had the Batista thing but if they call that audible then Reigns could already be a main eventer with a title run under his belt and people would've accepted it.

No they wouldn't have. The moment Roman Reigns doesn't stand aside for Daniel Bryan the crowd turns on him. Besides you'd have to change a few other things too. Daniel Bryan could win at Elimination Chamber just to lose to Reigns at Mania. Also I don't know how long you could have Reigns as the Rumble winner with the Dean/Seth still supporting him. Do you break up the Shield after the Rumble? Rollins needs a reason to turn, Ambrose could because he's crazy but then who wins MITB in 2014? Also how does Reigns lose the belt not to Brock only for Brock to get it by August?

Watch WrestleMania 20 again.  Cena is in the opening match. U.S. title.  He was massively over.

Watch the 2014 Rumble. Reigns is massively over. Some anti-Batista stuff in there to, but it is quite amazing Reign's reactions in the 2014 Rumble compared to 2015.

Brian Fowler, on 01 Mar 2015 - 8:47 PM, said:

In ring, Cena was definitely not ready in 2005.  He got better in 2006 before suddenly being a fully formed superworker in 2007.

Reigns is probably better in-ring right now than Cena in 2005.  But Cena was hands down the most over performer on the roster. I don't think Roman is top 5.

The bottom line for me is Cena was a big merch mover and money maker, with a great look, and could talk his ass off so it's easy to see why Vince went with him. Neither of Hogan, Rock, or Austin(due to injury) were super workers when they were on top. The case with Reigns is based much more on what he could do rather than what he can do. This obvious monster push Vince has given him has severely hurt his immediate future as a face.

It's kind of scary to think the one guy on the roster Vince wanted to get over more than anybody he's actually made less over.

I wouldn't be surprised if this Reigns push leads to a surge in popularity for Cena even from the fans who always boo him. Be careful what you ask for.

People forget, too, that Cena wasn't handed anything.  He was never groomed for that top spot.  He did the whole "brass ring" thing on his own and overcame Orton through sheer charisma and talent. 

Agreed that Reigns is going to get Cena over.  A lot of the crowd seems to have warmed to Cena, anyway, and they're really rushing the "he's getting long in the tooth" theme.

Reigns was getting cheers in the 2014 Rumble because people knew Batista was going to win, and they weren't on board with that. Reigns WAS Batista in the 2015 Rumble. He was the guy folks knew was probably going over, and they weren't on board with that.

It's the same way the crowd would have cheered an Ambrose or Ziggler win. Even if it wasn't the guy they wanted most, at least it wasn't someone that guy was being shoved aside for.

• Like 1

I think the only thing that'll save the match will be to turn it into a clusterfuck. Have Brock not cooperating and roughing him up. Have Triple H come out and get cold cocked. Have Vince come out and get concerned. Finally the Shield reunites and they all brawl with Brock until Roman gets a lucky superman punch that puts Brock down for good.

Then Rollins cashes in.

People forget, too, that Cena wasn't handed anything.  He was never groomed for that top spot.  He did the whole "brass ring" thing on his own and overcame Orton through sheer charisma and talent. 

Agreed that Reigns is going to get Cena over.  A lot of the crowd seems to have warmed to Cena, anyway, and they're really rushing the "he's getting long in the tooth" theme.

Let's not forget Orton not being that good or over at the time either. Still this shows WWE had a fallback plan. Not sure who's the fallback plan if/when Reigns fails? Rollins? Someone from NXT?

People forget, too, that Cena wasn't handed anything. He was never groomed for that top spot. He did the whole "brass ring" thing on his own and overcame Orton through sheer charisma and talent.

Agreed that Reigns is going to get Cena over. A lot of the crowd seems to have warmed to Cena, anyway, and they're really rushing the "he's getting long in the tooth" theme.

Let's not forget Orton not being that good or over at the time either. Still this shows WWE had a fallback plan. Not sure who's the fallback plan if/when Reigns fails? Rollins? Someone from NXT?

Daniel Bryan

8NWkmIg.gif

• Like 1

Bryan and Cena chasing heel Reigns is a perfectly fine backup plan. I still think Ambrose has a high ceiling especially after some of the great promo work he's done on the after show's to Fastlane and Raw. Orton was red hot as a face, and would easily be above Reigns if they turned him. Ziggler is still over, Ryback has his moments, and I could see Rollins having a face run if Reigns turns.

That's not counting maybe a Zayn or Balor catching fire if called up, and the amazing work Owens is doing in NXT. That's the thing about forcing this Reigns push because they have plenty of other options right now.

The people were getting with Reigns when he was just wrecking shop.  Then post-Shield split, WWE had him doing the standard WWE babyface routine with lame comedy and too much talking.

Less putting smiles on faces.  More putting punches in faces.  Problem solved.  WWE just has to get out of that formula they've been in for way too long.

I want the entrances for Cena/Rusev to be a ridiculous spectacle.  Like The Ryback wins the Andre Battle Royal and while Hogan is brothering him up, Rusev's music hits and out comes Lana and Nikolai Volkoff with the Russian flag and Ivan Koloff with the Russian chain and Aksana with a shovel and then Rusev rides in on a tank.  Then Volkoff wants to sing the Russian National Anthem but The Ryback won't let him and then Swagger rolls Zeb out in a wheelchair who cuts a promo on Russia and gets the people to 'We The People!' and then Sgt. Slaughter and Jim Duggan lead a color guard out and then Cena rides out on a jeep while a bunch of red, white, and blue fireworks go off and right before he enters the ring, Zeb slowly stands up out of his wheelchair and salutes him.

• Like 3

Just have Cena re-do Apollo Creed's entrance from Rocky 4 (only have someone non-dead perform instead of James Brown) and Russev do Drago's entrance from the Rocky bout, complete with massive painting of his face taking up half the arena.

• Like 1

Cena is the Kobe Bryant of wrestling. Everyone hated him for years and years but then something clicked and everyone started to appreciate his greatness and there were new evils on the block. I could see Cena having a very successful face run as a grizzled vet.