DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI

Matt D

I thought we liked Kobe after he hooked up with that white girl then bought his wife a $250k ring as an apology. Proving that Kobe is just like us and when he gets caught with his side piece he has to pay too

• Like 1

I thought we liked Kobe after he hooked up with that white girl then bought his wife a $250k ring as an apology. Proving that Kobe is just like us and when he gets caught with his side piece he has to pay too

Don't go all Abraham Washington on us now.

This makes me want to watch 2003-2005 Cena because I remember him having awesome matches with Eddie Guerrero and the Undertaker. He wasn't at his 2007 level by the time he got the gold in 2005, and I know that having a good match with Eddie Guerrero is equivalent to having a good match with Daniel Bryan in terms of how much you can evaluate the strength of the other guy's work, but he had a significant amount of good-to-very good singles matches under his belt by the time WM 21 came around. 

I get that it's sort of unfair because he also had way more singles matches than Reigns, but Reigns has been pretty much a ghost when it comes to having good singles matches. He's much more like Diesel in late 1994, who had not one really good singles match before the Bret Hart 1995 Royal Rumble match. The closest thing he had before that was a couple of solid-not-great singles matches with Razor. That reads a lot more like Reigns than Cena in 2005 does. 

$4 million, Brysynner.  FOUR MILLION DOLLARS for that purple diamond ring.  Screw a ring, buy me an island if you're going to spend that kind of money.

• Like 1

$4 million, Brysynner.  FOUR MILLION DOLLARS for that purple diamond ring.  Screw a ring, buy me an island if you're going to spend that kind of money.

I'd be surprised if he didn't own an island but he rather give his wife jewelry than let her on the island.

People forget, too, that Cena wasn't handed anything. He was never groomed for that top spot. He did the whole "brass ring" thing on his own and overcame Orton through sheer charisma and talent.

Agreed that Reigns is going to get Cena over. A lot of the crowd seems to have warmed to Cena, anyway, and they're really rushing the "he's getting long in the tooth" theme.

Let's not forget Orton not being that good or over at the time either. Still this shows WWE had a fallback plan. Not sure who's the fallback plan if/when Reigns fails? Rollins? Someone from NXT?

Daniel Bryan

8NWkmIg.gif

Kevin Owens.

I'm guessing that Big Show and KAne eliminate everyone in the battle royal then square off as he final 2.  I also have a feeling this will be a top 5 worst moment in Wrestlemania history.  

I could see Mizdow winning the Andre battle royal to further advance the Miz/Mizdow feud.

People forget, too, that Cena wasn't handed anything. He was never groomed for that top spot. He did the whole "brass ring" thing on his own and overcame Orton through sheer charisma and talent.

Agreed that Reigns is going to get Cena over. A lot of the crowd seems to have warmed to Cena, anyway, and they're really rushing the "he's getting long in the tooth" theme.

Let's not forget Orton not being that good or over at the time either. Still this shows WWE had a fallback plan. Not sure who's the fallback plan if/when Reigns fails? Rollins? Someone from NXT?

They'll probably figure out a way to put The Shield back together, have Rollins win the belt via MITB, then have Reigns turn on him in time for Reigns v Rollins at WM 32.

Or something else.  What do I know.

This makes me want to watch 2003-2005 Cena because I remember him having awesome matches with Eddie Guerrero and the Undertaker. He wasn't at his 2007 level by the time he got the gold in 2005, and I know that having a good match with Eddie Guerrero is equivalent to having a good match with Daniel Bryan in terms of how much you can evaluate the strength of the other guy's work, but he had a significant amount of good-to-very good singles matches under his belt by the time WM 21 came around. 

I rewatched the Cena/Lesnar match from 03 a few weeks ago and while it wasn't actively terrible or anything, you could tell that neither guy was ready to be in the position to call or carry a main event type match. There were quite a few awkward looking spots. It felt like they just kinda sent two young guys out there and said, "have a regular match" when they should've had some kind of wild brawl with craziness to A. pay off the feud and B. cover up for their inexperience.

I really want this Cena/Rusev to not go the obvious route. We all know he's gonna spray paint poopy on Lana's dress or something and Rusev will get very angry and no one will point out that Cena is the biggest heel of the modern era. You know, Cena business as usual. 

What if Rusev just straight up never accepts the match and Cena doesn't have a spot on the Mania card? Instead, the United States Champion just receives another medal from Putin on the grandest stage of them all.

Maybe Cena comes out and they have a huge garbage brawl. Or maybe Cena is just given Hacksaw's WCW janitor uniform and is put to work. 

Well, there's 35 days between Fastlane and Mania, and the last time the belt was on the line was at Fastlane. So if Cena can prevent Rusev actually defending the title before 'Mania (by KOing all of his opponents before the match starts), they can pretend the 30-day rule exists, and force him into the 'Mania match.

Even though there's a clear precedent that a Challenger doesn't have to be conscious or physically capable of participation before a title match can begin. The rules count how they want, when they want.

Cena was over enough with the fans in 2002/2003, so he was going to work. If the fans love you, you can get away with being okay to acceptable in ring.

I feel like Cena's had the formula for a match down from about 2007-on, but he never fixed his mistakes of being too clumsy and working too lightly and he's never going to. I just kind of accepted it after a while.

Wrong thread.

But while I'm here, does anyone else think the Dust Brothers might have been slated for a blow off/retirement match of some sort but blew it at Fastlane so they got shoved into the Ladder Match of a 1000 Participants?

Well, there's 35 days between Fastlane and Mania, and the last time the belt was on the line was at Fastlane. So if Cena can prevent Rusev actually defending the title before 'Mania (by KOing all of his opponents before the match starts), they can pretend the 30-day rule exists, and force him into the 'Mania match.

Meanwhile, the world title hasn't been defended since RR, already more than 30 days ago...

Wrong thread.

But while I'm here, does anyone else think the Dust Brothers might have been slated for a blow off/retirement match of some sort but blew it at Fastlane so they got shoved into the Ladder Match of a 1000 Participants?

Nah.  People were speculating on that match and Miz/Mizdow but when is the last time something that low on the card got featured at Wrestlemania? If anything the Dusts being in the ladder match is a big step up from being battle royal filler.

The Barrett vs The Playing Field Ladder Match is weird but that build doesn't happen if someone else was the champion. No one else has gotten angles when they held that belt in years. To Barrett's credit, he was successfully built himself back up each time they've jobbed him out and/or got hurt. Not to his 2010 heat, but still manages to present himself like what he is doing is important. Something that the trading wins booking and lack of personality the other mid carders get/have. Don't think the belt is cursed. They just want Barrett to have it so they can try to build someone else up.

It will interesting to see who wins it.

Wrong thread.

Nah. People were speculating on that match and Miz/Mizdow but when is the last time something that low on the card got featured at Wrestlemania? If anything the Dusts being in the ladder match is a big step up from being battle royal filler.
29 had Miz/Barrett, Ryback/Mark Henry, and Jericho/Fandango, all of which had less story behind them than the Dust Bros feud.

Meanwhile, the world title hasn't been defended since RR, already more than 30 days ago...

Didn't we learn from Dean Ambrose that there's a ton of paperwork involved in title defenses? Lana doesn't have time to be doing that.

Wrong thread.

Nah. People were speculating on that match and Miz/Mizdow but when is the last time something that low on the card got featured at Wrestlemania? If anything the Dusts being in the ladder match is a big step up from being battle royal filler.
29 had Miz/Barrett, Ryback/Mark Henry, and Jericho/Fandango, all of which had less story behind them than the Dust Bros feud.

Hmmm fair enough.  

So far

The Miz 

Curtis Axel
Ryback
Fandango
Adam Rose 
Zack Ryder
Jack Swagger
Titus O’Neil
Darren Young
Big Show
Kane
Erick Rowan 
Damien Mizdow 
Sin Cara (UPDATED MARCH 9)

are in the Andre Battle Royal

Why do they hate Andre's memory so much?