DVDVR Message Board

Raw 12-8-14 - Slammys 2014

MGFanJay

Philly fans are gonna shit on anything that isn't "smarky" enough. They're Chicago with greasier sandwiches. Whoever wins the Rumble won't be Punk, Bryan, or Ambrose, so they're gonna get booed regardless.

Philly doesn't usually have terrible crowds that only react to guys that have been in ROH. Royal Rumble usually has more outsiders so a whole lot of Todd Martin's coming into town could hurt this show. This is abnormal though and the people here usually react liberally. That is what makes it a good wrestling town. Crowd full of Johnny Sorrows and Greggulators that like a variety of different things. People out of their minds that Jerry Lawler is about to grab the belt to beat Miz. Not shitting on the match because Miz is in it. Please don't give us the rep of only reacting to 3 or 4 guys. It isn't accurate and completely misses the point of why this is a good wrestling town.

• Like 5

Philly is the best wrestling city in the country and has been for ages.

It was maybe the one place that was both WWF and NWA central. Didn't they both run sell-out shows at the same time here or something along those lines? That continued for ages.

ECW. And even the precursor to ECW (Tri-State) was pretty great. Say what you want about ECW and its fans in retrospect, but at the time ECW was the best and coolest.

It's the home base of Ring of Honor, CZW and Chikara. (Unless some of them moved since I last checked.) ROH is the American workrate promotion. CZW is carrying the garbage wrestling banner. And Chikara is a cartoon come-to-life. You can't get more diverse than that for your wrestling tastes.

The Rumble sold out in like 5 minutes.

There might be loud smarks all night but that show is going to be a total blast and a lot of fun. There will probably be some CM Punk chants, but those chants are everywhere at this point.

• Like 3

Finally watching Raw, and the ambulance segment was worse than I thought.  So far only good things are Charlotte on TV, AJ's shoutout to NXT women, and the two Rosebuds standing by Rose (women like them are the only good thing about this whole Adam Rose thing anymore).  Speaking of which, is there some kind of place to see who was a Rosebud?  I heard a lot of indy people have been one, would be nice to see them in that.  I know Scarlet was one.

Finally watching Raw, and the ambulance segment was worse than I thought.  So far only good things are Charlotte on TV, AJ's shoutout to NXT women, and the two Rosebuds standing by Rose (women like them are the only good thing about this whole Adam Rose thing anymore).  Speaking of which, is there some kind of place to see who was a Rosebud?  I heard a lot of indy people have been one, would be nice to see them in that.  I know Scarlet was one.

If there's not an IRDB by now, I am disappointed in internet.

Personally, i thought it was bad when you had the hardcore roh and czw fans coming to the arena, disrupting the chikara vibe.

The only time it was good was when all three fanbases crapped on the kaiju big battel match at i think one of the anniversarios. It was a bonding experience.

• Like 1

The whole "Philly fans cheer the bad guys and boo the good guys"  thing that I was part of in the Eighties died out long ago. I really can't remember any RAW or PPV from Philly in recent years where the fans were any different from any other fans besides being loud and into the show.

Philly is the best wrestling city in the country and has been for ages.

It was maybe the one place that was both WWF and NWA central. Didn't they both run sell-out shows at the same time here or something along those lines? That continued for ages.

Well not ages. A couple of years. And the Spectrum held a shit ton more people than the Civic Center did, to be honest. But fuck yeah, there was nothing like Philly in the mid Eighties for wrestling. We'd hate it when they ran head to head. In fact, last year I did a podcast about Philly Wrestling with Goodhelmet Will, Johhny P who made a cool ECW Doc called "Barbed Wire City", and Blue Meanie.

http://placetobenation.com/

Go to podcasts and look for "Wrestling Across America"

evilwaldo, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:22 PM, said:evilwaldo, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:22 PM, said:

Dank, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:17 PM, said:Dank, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:17 PM, said:

I get the whole NXT has to job to the main roster argument, but not when the entire fucking point was "look at this incredible performer who you can see defend her title on Thursday's NXT special and oops she's pinned in 2 minutes oh well".

Yeah the time limit thing and the fact it was Natty bugged me.

More that it was Natty because you have this great wrestling family feud to play off of.

When Charlotte comes up you can have her build momentum by moving through the roster from the bottom up until she runs into Natty and use the family history to build a generational feud.

I would have used a lesser performer (not Natty, Bellas, Paige, AJ), given them 5 minutes, and have Charlotte lose so that you establish that while she is the NXT champ she is at the bottom of the Divas roster.  While Charlotte got her offense into the match, the short time made it feel like a squash.

Paige was a top tier diva from the start and Charlotte is more physically imposing and more athletic than Paige. This is the same as having Neville job to Fandango to build up his match with Zayn. Nobody is going to order the Network to see a scrub who lost on Raw in two minutes.

Why not have Sasha come out and distract Charlotte causing her to lose, and have a brawl after the match with Charlotte standing tall? Because WWE sucks at booking that's why.

• Like 2

Starting the March Madness heel turn early?

My gut says that my March Madness heeling will be about AJ Styles. I really need to bring myself to watch some of his 2014, but it's so hard to. I never come in intending to be a dick, honest. It's just very, very important.

Look you can argue all you want about whether or not a NXT champion should job to a flatulent main roster performer, but the point is they could have done it next week, not this week when literally the sole reason Charlotte was on RAW was to get you to watch her on Thursday.

Isn't Charlotte a babyface in NXT now? Why would they have her debut on Raw as a heel, when she's going to be a babyface in three nights on the network? Either way, the best part of that match was "supportive husband" Tyson Kidd celebrating for his wife after the victory.

My gut says that my March Madness heeling will be about AJ Styles. I really need to bring myself to watch some of his 2014, but it's so hard to. I never come in intending to be a dick, honest. It's just very, very important.

Bringing up March Madness made me remember Cesaro won it.  

Fuck.

Was the match with Randy Orton in this voting period or last?  I may have to ride that one as long as I can.  IMO, it was the closest thing to a star-making match they've had in a while, but it happened on Smackdown, so of course it didn't count.

Bringing up March Madness made me remember Cesaro won it.  

Fuck.

Was the match with Randy Orton in this voting period or last?  I may have to ride that one as long as I can.  IMO, it was the closest thing to a star-making match they've had in a while, but it happened on Smackdown, so of course it didn't count.

It was part of the run-up to Elimination Chamber, so last.

evilwaldo, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:22 PM, said:evilwaldo, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:22 PM, said:

Dank, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:17 PM, said:Dank, on 09 Dec 2014 - 4:17 PM, said:

I get the whole NXT has to job to the main roster argument, but not when the entire fucking point was "look at this incredible performer who you can see defend her title on Thursday's NXT special and oops she's pinned in 2 minutes oh well".

Yeah the time limit thing and the fact it was Natty bugged me.

More that it was Natty because you have this great wrestling family feud to play off of.

When Charlotte comes up you can have her build momentum by moving through the roster from the bottom up until she runs into Natty and use the family history to build a generational feud.

I would have used a lesser performer (not Natty, Bellas, Paige, AJ), given them 5 minutes, and have Charlotte lose so that you establish that while she is the NXT champ she is at the bottom of the Divas roster.  While Charlotte got her offense into the match, the short time made it feel like a squash.

Paige was a top tier diva from the start and Charlotte is more physically imposing and more athletic than Paige. This is the same as having Neville job to Fandango to build up his match with Zayn. Nobody is going to order the Network to see a scrub who lost on Raw in two minutes.

Why not have Sasha come out and distract Charlotte causing her to lose, and have a brawl after the match with Charlotte standing tall? Because WWE sucks at booking that's why.

Because the NXT people need to go over the main roster people to build up the Network.  Ok.