DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

From the LOOKING FORWARD TO thread:

Hmm, interesting.

Even still, what Hulk did is much less than what Wanda did in the comics, not to mention that Iron Man was just as responsible for all of that destruction. I know we've pointed out that Iron Man tried to get the fight away from the city, but he didn't, so why wouldn't people and news outlets zero in on that? Also, Tony was responsible for Ultron, who did way more damage and nearly ended the world. Tony Stark nearly killed the planet. That's way worse than Hulk and Tony brawling through a city. My guess is that Bruce goes back to doing what he did at the beginning of the Incredible Hulk or the Avengers, until the faces are in peril and Hulk comes in to wreck shop, with Bruce having more control over his Hulk persona.

Oh, and you want to talk about inconsistent things from previous movies, you had Bruce going from a dude who seemingly had control over the big green guy at the end of the Avengers, to the same out of control wrecking ball he was in the first half of the Avengers. I thought that was more egregious than Tony being in the armor again. Not to mention the other issue of...

Hawkeye having a family this entire time, even though he was hooking up with Black Widow, and Hawkeye's wife being all cool and the gang with Black Widow. That was like some weird Big Love type shit that I had a hard time wrapping my brain around.

If Age of Ultron weren't so well paced an entertaining, those issues would probably knock Age of Ultron down a peg or two, but the movie is just so goddamn good.

Point the first: 

I think the fact that they had worked out a successful system to deploy Banner, to aim him, and to turn him back from the Hulk shows that things were pretty much under control. Those are no small things especially considering how uncontrollable they sell the Hulk to be in general. At the beginning of the movie, he seemed on the same page as everyone else and even at the end, he seemed far more aware than he ought to have been. When he wasn't under control, that's when Wanda had messed with things, and the difference was so severe that Whedon apparently wanted him to be Grey Hulk for that scene.

Point the second:

I saw Avengers again last week and I don't think it was so cut and dry that Wanda and Hawkeye were currently lovers, even if they had been lovers at some earlier point. There's a ton we don't know about Hawkeye's backstory. Maybe they were never even lovers. There's a sort of spy bond friend there, and I didn't really mind the rebranding of Clint as her "best friend." It felt genuine to me, that they were sort of special spy friends in a platonic way that we could never fully understand, and that's all they ever were. Soulmates but not necessarily lovers. I bought it. I can see why someone wouldn't have but that's drawing more from subtext in Avengers than from the actual text. I absolutely bought Banner/Natasha in Age of Ultron due to the performances and the writing. I'm not sure I would have on paper going in.

The family think threw me because even though I have an encyclopedic knowledge of the Marvel Universe, and Hawkeye's one of my favorite characters ever, I know very little about the Ultimate because I loathe what I read early on so much.

Ah ok, that all makes sense then.

I do wonder if Wanda going nuclear is a sign of things to come. Maybe she has the ultimate "no more mutants" type freakout during Infinity War.

My gut says that they have to build her up more before they can do that. A Phase 4 thing more than a Phase 3 thing. Also, they grounded her powers somewhat. She doesn't really change reality so much as has TK and some mental manipulation. 

Wasn't she basically given her powers using the Mind stone? Stands to reason that her powers could keep growing until they became out of control. TK and psychic abilities could be the start.

Heh, put like that, it feels like they're just turning her into Jean Grey.

Even though I didn't really care for 'The Avengers', I took in 'Age of Ultron' today on a matinee with my dad.  I liked it.  I actually thought some of the opening scenes were really bad.  Where they were driving through the woods and fighting Hydra guys I thought the CGI looked second-rate and I thought "I've made a huge mistake" but it settled in nicely after that.  I thought

Scarlett Witch's big decision to join the team in the middle of that last fight where she walks out and saves Hawkeye was a really awesome moment

but, yeah, I liked this a lot more than I was expecting to.

I was always going to make one that said "Kings of Leon: I'm with the pigeons" but I never got around to it.

Just got back from watching Age of Ultron.  Not sure if I liked it as much as the first Avengers, but it was a very fun time.  Thought the story of the new characters was really well-done, and James Spader was the absolute best

Non-spoiler notes, the only time I ever find Scarlet attractive at all is as Black Widow.  Not sure why, but doing anything else she doesn't do anything for me.  And Tony Stark wore what I can only describe as the greatest shirt I've ever seen.  It's an absolute must-buy.

http://bna78.com/shop/t-shirts-men/bruce-lee-gung-fu-scratch-v-neck/

The love story of Widow and Banner was very interesting.  They talk about going away, only for Hulk to leave because he can't trust himself around civilians.  It's something where you understand his actions, but wish he'd reconsider and go back to Widow.  And Quicksilver's death was so sad.  Him and Scarlet more than proved their worth, with the ultimate sacrifice at the end.  Great stuff.

My nitpick about The Avengers: Age of Ultron, which others have also pointed out, is:

At the end of Iron Man 3, it appears as if Tony Stark has destroyed all of his suits and has given up being Iron Man. At the beginning of Avengers: Age of Ultron, there's Iron Man fighting along-side the rest of the Avengers like nothing in IM3 had ever happened. This was never addressed in the movie. So basically, IM3 was pretty pointless filler in the grand scheme of things. Tony's PTSD and nothing to do with Extremis were anywhere to be found in Avengers, so nothing that happened in IM3 really mattered. You could say that with the climax of that movie having Tony jumping in and out of suits and him being able to control them remotely set up the Iron Legion suit robots in this one, but that's about it and that's a stretch. Even Thor 2 at least had the set up of one of the Infinity Stones.That was one minor flaw in what I otherwise greatly enjoyed as a fantastic film. Just a little nitpick, but I thought an important piece of the puzzle, especially when they're trying to tie all these movies together as one big narrative.

My nitpick about The Avengers: Age of Ultron, which others have also pointed out, is:

At the end of Iron Man 3, it appears as if Tony Stark has destroyed all of his suits and has given up being Iron Man. At the beginning of Avengers: Age of Ultron, there's Iron Man fighting along-side the rest of the Avengers like nothing in IM3 had ever happened. This was never addressed in the movie. So basically, IM3 was pretty pointless filler in the grand scheme of things. Tony's PTSD and nothing to do with Extremis were anywhere to be found in Avengers, so nothing that happened in IM3 really mattered. You could say that with the climax of that movie having Tony jumping in and out of suits and him being able to control them remotely set up the Iron Legion suit robots in this one, but that's about it and that's a stretch. Even Thor 2 at least had the set up of one of the Infinity Stones.That was one minor flaw in what I otherwise greatly enjoyed as a fantastic film. Just a little nitpick, but I thought an important piece of the puzzle, especially when they're trying to tie all these movies together as one big narrative.

Apparently the gap will be addressed more thoroughly in Civil War. That said, I think IM3 influences the idea that becomes Ultron. He wants to retire but doesn't see the world as safe and thus keeps jumping in. They never cover it but the characterization feels consistent with the end of IM3 plus about six months to a year.

Tony is more like a series of tics and flaws than an actual human being. I kind of like the consistency of him seeming to change and grow in each film only for his character defects to manifest in new and interesting ways in the next outing. Maybe he'll learn a lesson by the end of Civil War.

Something I noticed more the second time watching it.

The improved teamwork with Cap and basically everyone. Implying that Cap's been making them practice with him. And man I didn't realize how works what all of Steve's one liners really are until the second time. Every quip he tosses out is a sigh and slightly depressed.

It's more likely that Marvel Studios wants to forget Iron Man 3 happened.  They did a one shot that pretty much tells us "So yeah, Mandarin does exist just not in that movie" and in Age of Ultron Stark is the same Stark from prior to Iron Man 3.

No point in arguing something that Marvel knows sucks.