DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

I thought Evans as Cap was just a role he'd lucked into fitting well, but after I saw his performance in Puncture I decided he's just a hell of an actor.

Evans has pretty much said his personality is nothing like Cap's and that he has been basing his portrayal on one of his friends.

Yup. Published by DC but I don't think in the DC universe.

First arc was great, not sure why I didn't keep up with it in retrospect.

It was a Vertgo book, re-using a classic DC war comic title.

It was a finite story, only 3 or 4 trades long. Andy Diggle and Jock.

I read the first two TPBs and honestly don't remember much of it besides the best scene in the movie - Jensen's "I'm gonna kill you with mind bullets" bit - being lifted directly from the comic. Also, while I liked Evans' performance, it was weird because iirc Jensen was depicted as a skinny wimpy dude while Evans was, uh, not so much.

Decent movie and decent comic but nothing mind-blowing, pardon the pun.

Totally agree with those saying Evans is a tragically underrated actor. People don't appreciate how easy it'd be to play a role like Cap and come off totally stiff and/or hokey. I like Hemsworth but he can't do anything with Thor except play him broad like a cartoon character - only in a couple scenes (His reaction when Loki tells him Odin is dead in Shield HQ in the first and his mother's funeral in DW) does he seem like a real person. From the first moment in First Avenger (a movie that will be in my Marvel Top 3 forever), his Cap always felt like an actual person.

Not only does Evans's Cap feel like an actual person, he's not the same person that Evans has played in other roles.  Chris is fucking awesome.

I think that too many people are attaching the negative baggage they have concerning Captain America as a character to Evans's ability as an actor.  Totally bogus move.

Yeah, I used to think he was just a cocky twat who played himself all the time, but that's just because he kept getting cast as cocky twats, and he was good at playing them. But him as Cap is nothing like him as Johnny Storm is nothing like him in the Losers. And in Scott Pilgrim he's playing an actor anyway, so he sort of plays a few different roles.

Forgetting it so hardcore that it took me a couple of minutes of thinking you'd posted that comment in the wrong thread before finally realizing "oh yeah, Chris Evans was the lead hero in Snowpiercer, right". Then again it's easy to sorta forget him there, considering that he looks nothing like his usual self and he's playing a restrained character in a cast full of wacky overactors playing outrageous characters". Which is pretty amazing, when you consider that he gets his own monologue about how cannibalized human infants taste great; but that's Snowpiercer for you, with stuff such as Tilda Swinton looking like an anime character who had accidentally stumbled into a live-action movie.

• Like 1

Add another voice to the choir praising Chris Evans. Captain America is my favourite character in the MCU. I like Captain America more than I did mainly due to Evans performances (I'll also mention Ed Brubaker's Cap run and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes as well).

Amazing streak with Chris Evans six years running as a comic book character in a film strating with Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), Avengers Assemble (2012), a really funny cameo appearance in Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) and Captain America: Civil War (2016).

Liking the Ant-Man posters:

CHOzJBBUAAAJIRd.jpg

CHOzKHxU0AAM1zu.jpg

CHOzNTLUIAAdqGH.jpg

On the one hand, these are neat posters.

On the other, there's more than a whiff of desperation coming off them.

After the slight underperformance of AoU, you can almost see Marvel sweating for the first time.

• Like 1

AoU will underperform slightly and still make a shit ton of money between box office and dvd sales.  

Marvel is not all that desperate, but there is definitely some mild perspiration going on.  The intent of the posters is pretty obvious.   They expect the new surge in positive buzz for Ant-Man to help lengthen AoU's theatrical run.

That's actually better news for Ant-Man than it is for AoU.

Oh the world we live in when the 5th highest grossing movie of all time is "slightly underperforming"

It's really no different than what happened with TDKR. People were expecting exponential growth on top of the first one, and it didn't happen. Doesn't mean it was anything close to a failure, but it did underperform expectations.

I guarantee nobody at Marvel or Disney had sub-$500 million domestic in mind for AoU, but that's where it's going to end up.

With the exception of the IRON MAN 2 misstep, it's also the first time a Marvel sequel hasn't outperformed it's predecessor. There was, at the very least, a meeting that Monday morning after the opening to attempt to hash out what went "wrong."

• Like 1

I just think there were some people who said "I can wait" and that's not what the universe was ever about.  I get the same feeling on Ant-Man.  I think Civil War will do very very well because it's different than what they've been doing. Or supposed to be. Age of Ultron was paint by the numbers.

Meanwhile, if Disney hadn't bought Marvel for what in retrospect appears to be a bargain price look where they'd be. Their big summer offering would've been the colossal dud that was "Tomorrowland." They would've basically been in the same capsized boat as Sony.

As far as the Ant-Man posters, eh, it's fun to forecast the downfall of the MCU but I don't get any of this "desperation" stuff. Ant-Man is a D-list character that 99% of the average public knows nothing about - those posters to me just scream "Hey! This is a Marvel Movie! Don't forget, another Marvel Movie here!"

Also:

Where's the one of him stuck in Black Widow's cleavage?

If that existed, it'd be on Ebay marked up to $250 just like Slave Leia figures and "nude" cover variants. Oh how dealers love to gouge the fanboys whenever girlie bits are involved.

Oh the world we live in when the 5th highest grossing movie of all time is "slightly underperforming"

It's really no different than what happened with TDKR. People were expecting exponential growth on top of the first one, and it didn't happen. Doesn't mean it was anything close to a failure, but it did underperform expectations.

I guarantee nobody at Marvel or Disney had sub-$500 million domestic in mind for AoU, but that's where it's going to end up.

With the exception of the IRON MAN 2 misstep, it's also the first time a Marvel sequel hasn't outperformed it's predecessor. There was, at the very least, a meeting that Monday morning after the opening to attempt to hash out what went "wrong."

No sane businessman should expect ever-growing improvement with every project, forever and ever in perpetuity. Ultron is the #2 earner in Marvel cinematic history, the #5 best-earning movie of all time. If this is seriously "a disappointment", then they need to revise their opinions of what goddamn SUCCESS is.

Especially considering, wasn't Guardians of the Galaxy considered to be some kind of huge unprecedented success? Which is odd, considering it made about half a billion dollars less than A:AoU currently has sitting on its still-growing totals. Heck, the sequel has actually beaten the first Avengers's foreign ticket sales, and that number is still climbing. The only place it's lagging is its "slow" domestic numbers... which, again, are the second-best in MCU history. Not bad for a tired retreaded time-wasting inferior sequel, with a villain and a conflict which has jack-shit-fuck-all to do with the rest of the over-arching Marvel movie story, which featured heavy studio interference and probably more cutting and reshooting than was necessary to finally put Rasputin out of his misery. All things being equal, I'd say Marvel's expectations were ludicrously high on this one if the film's performance didn't meet them.