DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

As far as the Ant-Man posters, eh, it's fun to forecast the downfall of the MCU but I don't get any of this "desperation" stuff. Ant-Man is a D-list character that 99% of the average public knows nothing about - those posters to me just scream "Hey! This is a Marvel Movie! Don't forget, another Marvel Movie here!"

I guess it's tomayto/tomahto, but screaming "Hey! This is a Marvel Movie! Don't forget, another Marvel Movie here!" comes off a bit desperate to me.  Seems to me they marketed Guardians in a very different way, and that worked out pretty good.  All that said, this is just three posters.  The trailers haven't been like this.

You can question the sanity of it all you like, but "If you're not growing, you're dying" is a business maxim for a reason.

Well yeah, but that reason is that business majors are sociopathic greed-fueled vampire squids.

Add another voice to the choir praising Chris Evans. Captain America is my favourite character in the MCU. I like Captain America more than I did mainly due to Evans performances (I'll also mention Ed Brubaker's Cap run and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes as well).

Amazing streak with Chris Evans six years running as a comic book character in a film strating with Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), Avengers Assemble (2012), a really funny cameo appearance in Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) and Captain America: Civil War (2016).

At least 7 years. He was Lucas Lee in Scott Pilgrim & Jensen in The Losers in 2010. I don't know if Push counts for 2009, as it wasn't a comic adaptation but did have a prequel put out by Wildstorm before the film debuted.

You can question the sanity of it all you like, but "If you're not growing, you're dying" is a business maxim for a reason.

Well yeah, but that reason is that business majors are sociopathic greed-fueled vampire squids.
Yep. I've got pretty much zero respect for the current state of predatory capitalism, considering the whole "get yours, and fuck everyone else" mindset behind that is exactly what's caused all of America's crippling financial problems over the past decade. Infinite growth is not sustainable. Once you go past a certain point and get TOO big, you die, period.

• 3 weeks later...

James Gunn really liked Ant-Man:

"Ant-Man may just be my favorite Marvel film since Jon Favreau's Iron Man (well, maybe excluding one film to which I'm partial). Honestly, the movie is a complete blast! I was so happy after seeing it. It's never boring for a second and it's hilarious and warm throughout. It doesn't get caught up in the webbing of its own science-fiction concept like so many movies do these days, remaining simple and elegant. It's a part of the Marvel universe without being ruled by that fact. Paul Rudd is nuanced and charming and funny and is a surprisingly natural fit as a modern superhero (side-fact - Paul must be a nice guy, because he and I dated the same girl in college, and yet I still love him).

"Michael Peña KILLS IT - this movie is going to make him a huge star. My old pal Judy Greer (she was Deadly Girl to my Minute Man in The Specials (film) many moons ago) is great in a small role. And Michael Douglas is awesome. I think all of Peyton Reed's years directing have led him to making something as deft and nimble and joyous as this; he did an incredible job. And, despite Edgar Wright's parting from Marvel, his spirit is felt through the entire project, and there is no doubt everyone owes him a huge debt of gratitude. I left the theater incredibly happy. So often I see movies by people I love which are just okay - it's great to love a movie as much as I love the people who made it."

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

• Like 1

I'm still not expecting huge things from it box-office-wise, but I'd like for it to surprise people.  The problem is that, because Marvel have already planned out the next five years worth of movies, if it *does* overperform they won't be able to make a sequel in a timely fashion.

Went to the Alamo Drafthouse for the first time since their summer seasonal menu dropped. Someone really should have come up with a mutant version of a Pimm's Cup for the cocktail menu. (They are serving an "Ant-ipasta Salad", though. And yes, I know it should be antipasto, but apparently their graphic designer doesn't.)

• Like 1

They could always change plans and set something up if that's the case and they want to make another one.  The original plan was obviously to make more Hulk films after Incredible.  That didn't pan out.  

I still don't understand all the hatred for Norton's Hulk out there. I know we've had this debate here before, but still: it managed to turn a profit, surpassing the Ang Lee movie's numbers. Did okay with the critics, managing a fairly respectable 67% at RT (again, higher than its predecessor got). Why has opinion swerved so hard against it in the past few years? Yeah, there were all those stories of Norton being a tyrannical dick onset, but that's not the MOVIE'S fault; and it sounds like most of Norton's changes ended up on the cutting room floor anyway, when they allegedly edited a shitload of "unscripted" footage out of the final theatrical cut.

(It actually non adjusted only did less than 3 million more than Lee's. Only about 18 million worldwide. It unquestionably sold less tickets.)

EDIT: and cost 13 million more to make which probably even wipes out the slightly higher gross in the profit category.

It's Marvel's only failure since starting their own studio.

But, it wasn'ta failure, that's my point. After DVD/TV/ancillary sales, it certainly would've at least broke even. And hey, why AREN'T those sales numbers ever released to the public? They make up a huge portion of any movie's overall income, yet we're all forced to guesstimate how every movie's business went based on nothing but the theatrical figures.

But, it wasn'ta failure, that's my point. After DVD/TV/ancillary sales, it certainly would've at least broke even. And hey, why AREN'T those sales numbers ever released to the public? They make up a huge portion of any movie's overall income, yet we're all forced to guesstimate how every movie's business went based on nothing but the theatrical figures.

It probably didn't lose money, but it definitely failed. Failed enough that no sequel was ever even really approached, enough that Norton was the one actor they recast for Avengers, enough that it's clearly the black sheep of the MCU.

It also was really boring, but that's not a personal opinion.

I loved Lee's Hulk though, so YMMV.

While Ruffalo was doing press rounds for AoU I saw an interview where he claimed there's no solo Hulk movie planned because Marvel/Disney would have to share profits with Universal - like, they have the rights to the character back but for whatever reason Universal has to be cut in on any solo movie. That could just be some bullshit Marvel told him to placate why he doesn't get his own movie despite being arguably the highlight of both Avengers films but perhaps there's more to the story than we know.

I, too, have spoke often of how much I loved Norton's Hulk. Bixby's Hulk series was what hooked me on comics and the fact Norton clearly loved the series so much he pushed to make the movie version of it wins big points from me. I remain totally convinced to this day that it was just the absolute worst choice to follow up Iron Man with. The stink of Ang Lee's garbage-film was still fresh in everybody's nose and I know for a fact a lot of people thought it was a sequel to Lee's turdfest which undoubtedly killed the box office. Had they allowed more time to pass and made the exact same movie, I am positive it would've done as well or better than either of the Thors.

Hey, I still don't understand why people don't like Ang Lee's Hulk....

A terrible lead performance, subpar phony-looking CGI, a scarcity of action scenes, Nick Nolte doing something which isn't acting but I have no idea what it is, a slow pace, a pointlessly long running time, the horribly botched attempt at "comic-style framing" which is just ugly and distracting, and an overall story which practically spits on old-school Hulk fans with its utter disregard for the mainstream continuity of the franchise canon. Outside of the neat tank-fight in the desert and Sam Elliott ruling it as Thunderbolt Ross, I literally didn't enjoy anything else in the entire film. And fuck Eric Bana forever, he was awful.
  • Like 2

Deeply rooted? They invented an entirely new character for the villain. Unless I missed the issue where Crusher Creel was revealed to be Bruce's dad. At least Roth-Blonsky mostly resembled the traditional version of the Abomination, they only changed his nationality (I guess Roth's Russian accent is even worse than his old American one in Reservoir Dogs).

Also, motherfuck a buncha John Byrne. Highly overrated author, who had a few good conceptual ideas but was terrible at implementing them. And now, as seen by his idiotic statements in his whiny slapfight with Dan Slott, has lost even that much talent.