DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

That's absurd. Iron Man 3 is one of their top movies.

Financially but tell me..  if they were happy with it then why the one shot that erased the swerve? And why no mention of how Stark got to this point? It's pretty obvious that it was a story Marvel has no interest in holding on to.

War Machine. But that's an easy hand wave change that making fun of him caused the switch back.

I vaguely recall Joss saying right after Iron Man 3 came out that Tony probably kept at least one suit, so I think he always intended to not address it. And he served as a consultant on Iron Man 3.

I think it's less "Marvel is embarrassed" than it wasn't worth the time to address in this movie. After all, it was not only financially successful, it also got a good CinemaScore and has solid use review scores on rt and IMDb.

Thor is an underrated MCU entry.

I enjoyed both Thors, maybe more than most. I think their problem is they are the 'best of the rest'. A couple of films aside, the first Captain America film and Iron Man 3, most people agree on the top films in the series. So Thor's always going to be stuck somewhere in the middle of the rankings.

Financially but tell me.. if they were happy with it then why the one shot that erased the swerve? And why no mention of how Stark got to this point? It's pretty obvious that it was a story Marvel has no interest in holding on to.
Then why the hell would they do it in the first place? If Marvel didn't want the Mandarin swerve, they can tell Shane Black to fuck off (see: Edgar Wright).

And god damn, it was a great movie. I wanna watch it again now.

The idea that AoU retconed Iron Man 3 is ludicrous. The Mk. 43 had the same characteristics as the Mk 42 save for full remote operating, and Tony was clearly missing the big ass Arc Reactor in his chest. Hate the movie, but they kept Incredible Hulk intact and it was a far inferior movie to Iron Man 3.

I didn't have any beef with IM3 specifically, and I had no allegiance to the Mandarin. My problem was that it was the third one in a row that was at it's heart about Tony's company and industrial espionage. All of the tension in the first two acts is gone once the twist is revealed and Tony and the audience realize it's the same thing he's already been through twice more or less.

• Like 1

Financially but tell me.. if they were happy with it then why the one shot that erased the swerve? And why no mention of how Stark got to this point? It's pretty obvious that it was a story Marvel has no interest in holding on to.
Then why the hell would they do it in the first place? If Marvel didn't want the Mandarin swerve, they can tell Shane Black to fuck off (see: Edgar Wright).

Then why the one shot? You are dancing around the question.

Fowler, I'm not sure why you apply Cinemascore and IMDB to Iron Man 3 when they are relatively equal to Man of Steel.  The only metric that is different is Rotten Tomatoes and even then the audience reaction to Man of Steel was far more positive than the audience reaction to Superman Returns... the one you love.

It seems you are only applying these scores to what is going to fit your narrative. Sometimes you have to accept that you are in the minority. Like, take.. The Dark Knight Rises. The scores are overwhelmingly positive. 

I accept that most people enjoyed Iron Man 3.

Was there ever a character in cinema history who seemed more likely to give something up and say 'Never again', and then go back to it almost immediately... than Tony Stark? I mean, we've never seen him quit drinking (or smoking), but you just know...

• Like 1

Fowler, I'm not sure why you apply Cinemascore and IMDB to Iron Man 3 when they are relatively equal to Man of Steel. The only metric that is different is Rotten Tomatoes and even then the audience reaction to Man of Steel was far more positive than the audience reaction to Superman Returns... the one you love.

It seems you are only applying these scores to what is going to fit your narrative. Sometimes you have to accept that you are in the minority. Like, take.. The Dark Knight Rises. The scores are overwhelmingly positive.

I accept that most people enjoyed Iron Man 3.

You bring this up constantly, I reply the same way each time, you think it scores a point or something.

I never claimed people dislike Man of Steel, just that I did. Never. Not one single fucking time. My point was that the box office, critics, and viewer response on IM3 were all positive, so why would marvel be embarrassed or whatever?

Just like you bring up the Superman has killed in the comics point all the time and ignore the response you get every time.

My point was that the box office, critics, and viewer response on IM3 were all positive, so why would marvel be embarrassed or whatever?

Just like you bring up the Superman has killed in the comics point all the time and ignore the response you get every time.

I asked about the one shot that wiped away the swerve and also why they didn't address the end of Iron Man 3 and I haven't seen a definitive answer on either. 

As for Superman killing things... I've read your responses and I don't agree with them so no need to go over it again.

Edit:  Okay, A-  so the same as Spider-Man 2. Superman Returns was B+,  The Dark Knight Rises was an A.  I'm not sure what any of that means.

Was there ever a character in cinema history who seemed more likely to give something up and say 'Never again', and then go back to it almost immediately... than Tony Stark? I mean, we've never seen him quit drinking (or smoking), but you just know...

See, I never read the end of IM3 as him giving up being Iron Man just that he was no longer going to obsess over it and put the costumed identity ahead of his real life and the people he cares about.

Regardless, they definitely didn't ignore IM3 in AoU because they're still referencing the PTSD he's gotten from flying into the wormhole and nearly dying trying to close it off from the Chitauri. In fact, that's the whole catalyst to the Ultron thing in the first place.

Tony destroyed the autonomous suits because he realized HE is Iron Man, not The Suit.  It's why the Iron Legion are so dumbed down compared to the suits in IM 3.

As for the one shot, they were tired of nerds complaining about the Mandarin swerve, so they put out a short that revealed that DESPITE WHAT KILLIAN BELIEVED, the Mandarin actually exists.  Now, whether he existed before IM3, or it was a terrorist group pouncing on the idea afterward, they never spell it out.

(There isa slight irony to this discussion though. The first time I ever brought up Iron Man 3's user scores was a direct response to Miners claiming that the superior user score for Man of Steel was definitive proof it was better than Superman Returns, so I pointed out IM3 had slightly better numbers than MoS. And I've never used them to actually argue quality.)

That a sampled group from the first night it opened scored it.

It looks like unless the movie is a real piece of shit (looking at you Paul Blart) it usually scores pretty well. 

Edit:  I'm fairly certain I didn't say the user scores on RT meant that Man of Steel was better than Superman Returns. But if we are going to throw out scores, go look at any metric you want for The Dark Knight Rises.  Look at IMDB. Look at RT. Look at Cinemascore.  You'd think it was the greatest movie of all time.

But.. for me.. it was disappointing. So, Fowler, I actually agree with you on that one.  :)

Then why the one shot? You are dancing around the question.

So to have their cake and eat it too. Killian was "The Mandarin" in his own mind (and definitely a threat). But now they have the option to do the classic Mandarin if they choose to later.

Fucking dance.