DVDVR Message Board

Who Else Doesn't Drive (and why?)

OSJ

Through location, driving has never been a top priority for me. I've spent most of my life in NYC, home to one of the world's best public transit systems...  even when I went to college in Peoria, they had a really great bus system for a city their size (100K-ish) so I could get around just fine more often than not. My girlfriend has a license and loves to drive, so when we need a car for something (visiting her folks in Florida etc) she's more than happy to handle that end of things.

If I ever move away from Gotham, I'll definitely get a license. It just hasn't come up and I don't see it coming up any time soon.

Well shit, my best friend just moved out of Sterling Heights last month.

It's nice here.

I did my student teaching at Utica Ford roughly 800 million years ago.  The drive was a nightmare with M-59 under construction the entire time.

I didn't get mine until into my early 20s and the only reason I did it then when because everyone got sick and fucking tired of driving me everywhere and I really needed to work and finish school. Fast-forward to present day and I actually enjoy driving. Yes, there are a ton of assholes on the road but it's a calming thing to do when you're on a back road and just moving along.  I was probably too scared for the longest time. My brother died in a car accident when I was young and that scared me off.

I hate driving. I've done it maybe a handful of times since I got my license. I take the train and shuttle to and from class, do freelance work at home, walk to the store, beg and barter with people for rides, etc. I absolutely hate it. Florida is such a shitty place to learn too, I don't know if we have the worst drivers on Earth but they're definitely in the discussion.

I was listening to an interview with Nick Dinsmore and he said that prior to coming to NXT, Devitt had never driven a car before. I have no idea if that's true but if it is it's mind blowing.

Florida is such a shitty place to learn too, I don't know if we have the worst drivers on Earth but they're definitely in the discussion.

I moved to central Florida 5 months ago and have been driving since and I'll say Orlando has some of the most reckless drivers I've ever seen.

I don't know the exact same name of the highway, but I've gotten on the highway close to the Amway Center and there's a ton of horrible drivers who are always on there.

Also driving around the Disney area where all the tourist around is pretty horrible.

I guess i've come to the conclusion most people here are reckless drivers because their insurance will probably cover the costs if they total wreck any car.

I don't drive because I live in New York City and public transit despite growing more expensive anytime the MTA decides hey we need more money cause we can't seem to find where we put the money we had...its pretty reliable. I can get almost anywhere within reason. So I've never had a reason to learn to drive. Plus parking is getting worse and worse in this city.

But when you're running for the Staten Island ferry at 1:55am because if you miss the 2am ferry the next one won't leave till 3, its times like that you think maybe you should learn to drive. So I'm on the fence about possibly wanting to drive because I don't like pacing back and forth at 4am because a bus won't be coming for another half hour.

Your fault for living in Staten Island.

Everything else is pretty much the same thing myself and 90% of New Yorkers will co-sign to.  Though I know how to drive and have my license, it's just extremely rare that I get the chance to do so. 

Everytime my best friend misses California, she just has to drive on the freeway once then she's satisfied with returning to New York.

I wish we had public transportation worth a damn.

I don't drive due to my severe arthritis. I've had it my whole life and my wrist are fused(can't bend them up and can barely move my neck to either side as well as my hands are drawn in and have been getting worse with each year. I also have been losing grip strength so I haven't even tried ever to get my license. Lucky for my my wife does all the driving for me :)  

Sterling Heights. My problem really is lack of confidence. I'm probably just an over-cautious driver more than anything. Never had an accident or got a ticket or anything, so there's that at least.

My uncle lives up there and we used to go there every year. I can where you'd be scared if you are overly cautious. 

Florida is such a shitty place to learn too, I don't know if we have the worst drivers on Earth but they're definitely in the discussion.

I moved to central Florida 5 months ago and have been driving since and I'll say Orlando has some of the most reckless drivers I've ever seen.

I don't know the exact same name of the highway, but I've gotten on the highway close to the Amway Center and there's a ton of horrible drivers who are always on there.

Also driving around the Disney area where all the tourist around is pretty horrible.

I guess i've come to the conclusion most people here are reckless drivers because their insurance will probably cover the costs if they total wreck any car.

I-4 and the 408 are just the worst.  I refuse to take those big highways around town cause it's just too dangerous.

I took public transit for the first time in about a decade today. I don't know how people do it. With buses being over a hour late and $4.50 for a day pass. Just ridiculous.

My current and hometown has about 9500 or so people. There is no such thing as buses and taxis. About two and a half years ago, I was living in Jacksonville. It was the first time I ever had to use public transportation. ( My roommate was borrowing my car and got into a wreck on I-95 and 20th st aka MLK Freeway---break cable decided to go kablooy on her, car got totaled). There was many nice things I liked about it. $40 monthly pass ( I burned through $40 in less than a week just on gas for the car ), the atmosphere (just the right temperature, not too hot, not too cold), Someone else behind the wheel dealing with traffic ( I was my friends' personal taxi ). There were also, not so nice things. The wait. The erratic schedule. Bouncing from terminal to terminal. (A 10-15 minute drive on my own sometimes took a couple of hours). Loss of freedom to be able to come and go as I pleased and not have to be reliant on the former.

• 1 month later...

I grew up way out in the country. My father taught me how to drive when I was 12. I didn't get my license until right before I turned 18. Just drove without one from 15 until then. After my stint in the Army ended up moving out near Houston. The ten years I lived out there I rarely drove. Mostly because I lived within 2 miles of every place I needed to go. So unless it was raining I walked everywhere. Once went 14 months without driving. Then 8 years ago moved back to MS. And am now in a more rural area than where I grew up. The nearest store from my home is 12 miles away. To get to get to town is almost a 22 minute drive. And then the town is tiny. No bus no cabs.I had sold my car before I left Texas. After 2 years go tired of having to find a ride,so got myself a new car. Hopefully by fall of next year I will be back on the gulf coast. Once that happens I doubt I drive much. I can walk pretty much anywhere I will need to or take the bus.

I never bothered to learn, mostly because I live in London but I can't pretend to really fancy it much. I had to renew my provisional license recently and have toyed with the idea of learning, but I'm not that sure I'd want to own a car so thus I am not sure I'd ever really get the practice time even if I did pass.

I didn't start driving until I was 22. My high school didn't offer Driver's Ed as part of the curriculum. You had to pay two or three hundred dollars or so to take a class before or after school. My family wasn't well off, so I saved them the money. Plus I could barely get to school on time as it was and didn't want to stay after. I had met my wife by then and was dating her, moved in with her from WI to IL and she drove. She has bad anxiety and barely ever let me drive anyway. My first two jobs were within walking distance, so wasn't necessary.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took driver's ed in high school and still didn't get my license until I was 21. I just stayed scared of it until I realized that I couldn't spend the rest of my life bumming rides off friends. It was getting kind of sad. I live in a very rural area, so public transportation wasn't an option, so I had to man up.

What kills me is back in the '90s, I loved to drive. I'd routinely travel seven hours one way for a concert and not even bat an eye. Now, I had to take a friend of mine home a few months ago, and he lives about an hour away, right? I was ready to stop and get a hotel room for the night instead of driving back. It felt like I'd been driving FOREVER.

I'd take public transportation now, but the buses don't run at midnight when I get off work. I used to ride a bike everywhere. I'd love to get out from under my car, and I could do it now if my back was to the wall.

I think I just grew tired of sitting still. All the traffic kills me, just drives me insane. I truly can't imagine driving all the time in a big city like Atlanta. When I'd go there for shows, I'd park at the first MARTA station I came to and take the rail into town proper. I'm thinking of flying there next time I wanna go there for something so I don't have to make a 5-hour drive. That's sad, but driving's that much of a chore.

• 2 months later...

lol Add me to the list. I have a license but I hate to drive and have driven literally a handful of times in my nearly 40 years. I live in Baltimore City so I get around pretty easily for the most part. It helps that work is pretty much 5 minutes from home.