DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

As an offshoot from what people were talking about in the Hell in a Cell thread: Who should Rusev finally lose to in order to give that person a nice boost? 

My vote is for Cesaro or Luke Harper after a face turn. I can't remember where I was when I read this, but a couple of people mentioned Ryback, which is an awesome idea, too. 

As an offshoot from what people were talking about in the Hell in a Cell thread: Who should Rusev finally lose to in order to give that person a nice boost? 

Real American Hero Bo Dallas, imagine how obnoxious he would be if he could what no one else in America could do, if only they Bo-leived!

• Like 1

It'll be Roman Reigns that beats Rusev and he will do it his first night back from this injury.

Rusev and Lana will be bragging that he is unstoppable and Reigns walks out. Rusev wants to fight right now (thinking Roman will have some ring rust) when BAM!

Superman Punch -> Spear and the match is over in 20 seconds.

Yeeeeeeeeeep.

• Like 1

Plus, I don't get what the problem is if Cena wins. Guys like Rusev have been fattened up to be eaten by guys like Cena for decades in this business.

Is that quite as true as that initially seems? A couple of wins yeah, but to go over that many guys? I'm going to suggest it hasn't happened that much.

Yeah, and the fact that Cena has been around for centuries. Like it or not, he is Hogan in WCW at this point.

L_W_P nailed it. That's probably the exact answer that WWE comes up with.

Cena isn't quite like Hogan in WCW because his core fans haven't turned on him; watch WCW shows in 1995, and it seems like even the kids are like "Fuck you Hogan, we want Sting instead." However, I do get your point. He doesn't need to beat Rusev. Actually, I could definitely live with Reigns doing it. That would really benefit him. 

• Like 1

Plus, I don't get what the problem is if Cena wins. Guys like Rusev have been fattened up to be eaten by guys like Cena for decades in this business.

Is that quite as true as that initially seems? A couple of wins yeah, but to go over that many guys? I'm going to suggest it hasn't happened that much.

Yeah, and the fact that Cena has been around for centuries. Like it or not, he is Hogan in WCW at this point.

I hear that Hogan analogy a lot, and have probably made it myself (here and elsewhere) many occasions. One thing I'd like to point out that I recently thought about is this: a lot of people think that a Cena heel turn would be this magic bullet that would turn the WWE around, and reinvigorate his character as it did with Hogan. But the problem with that is Hogan never did this dumb shtick Cena does where LOVE HIM OR HATE HIM, HE DOESN'T CARE, HE NEVER GIVES UP!!!~!! The closest we got to that was that "Dark Side of Hulkamania" thing (and I don't even care, if Cena puts on a Phantom of the Opera mask and starts cutting promos in a dungeon, I'll pay to see that shit). Cena already has this supposed "edge" that Hogan never did prior to the NWO-- most likely, I'd have to guess, with younger fans. If it were done correctly it might work, but I don't think the character change would be quite as drastic as many think, especially not in this day and age. And furthermore, if you were to turn Cena heel, the truth is that the kids would boo him, and the adults and smarts would start cheering him anyway for doing something (anything!) new-- so you'd have the same 50/50 split you do now, it would just be reversed.

Imagine if Rusev beats Cena! On the law they were saying "who else can Rusev beat? He's beaten the roster. " bullshit.

Put him over sheamus for the title, then he can go over Miz and Cesaro for fun, put him over the fuckin embodiment of the glass ceiling Randy Orton, any returning guys like RVD and Jericho, Ziggler and then have him beat Cena at Wrestlemania and fuck, he's ready. First challenger for the champ after Wrestlemania, maybe draw the first match but win the second and then he can feud with Ambrose, Rollins, Orton and Cena leading up to the Summerslam main event with Reigns.

I just don't see people's narrow mindedness with Rusev. He's it man. Every carf his match hhs the second most heat behind the main events. He works an incredible style and oozes emotion. Goddammit how much more over can you get John Cena? If Cena beats him it'll be the dumbest bbooking decision of the last 2 years.

Cena as the ace partnering up with a young-up-and-comer as the latter's mentor and winning the tag belts would actually be a super-interesting way to use him on the show. Cena/Zayn for tag champs in 2015!

Did you include Ziggler on your list of "embodiment of the glass ceiling"???

No he was just buffer fodder.

Randy Orton is the boringest wrestler ever. He's been a million time champion and putting him over any talent at this point is a fuckin waste yet he is the glass ceiling before the championship.

Cena is Cena. He's as over as he'll ever be. Will Cena sell one more t shirt because he beat Rusev? Look at what that series did to bray. He's never recovered from being soundly beaten by Superman. It's just such a stupid idea.