DVDVR Message Board

Spring Training Opens 2/18/15

Dolfan in NYC

So basically Hart turned down the GM job to get a better title???

I mean they couldn't have just offered him Baseball Ops to begin with then???

It's all semantics and bullshit, but dammit, that's sports. Someone surmised that the title "president of baseball ops" was a position created by teams so they could hire more people in the front office without condemning anyone to a role known to be inferior.

And Joe Maddon has opted out of his deal with the Rays

So now they need a GM and a manager

EDIT - Not to mention the whole dynamic of Maddon possibly now going to the Dodgers

Aww.  Everything Joe loves is turning to crap.

You know, Deadspin is telling me that Ned Yost is not an idiot now.  Plenty of room on the Royals bandwagon.

Shoot, piranesi would probably let Joe on the Cards bandwagon too.

And Joe Maddon has opted out of his deal with the Rays

So now they need a GM and a manager

EDIT - Not to mention the whole dynamic of Maddon possibly now going to the Dodgers

Man, would I love for the Twins to give him a call.

But they won't.

FWIW, the Rays promoted from within to fill Friedman's role, so they don't need to worry about that.

And Maddon is apparently (LOL) not going to the Dodgers. Yet. I still think he goes to TV for 2015 then gets a job next winter, Terry Francona style.

Am I being stupidly optimistic thinking Madden ends up with the Cubs? Seems like a strong fit.k

Well apparently ESPN really wants him to go there too since they already have things from Olney and Bowden up about how MADDON SHOULD GO TO THE CUBS!!!

So it isn't just Washington that has the "FIRE MATT WILLIAMS HIRE JOE MADDON NOW" mentality.   I think he is a great coach but the idea that every team except 2 or 3 should fire their current manager for him is a reach   

For about 15 teams yeah probably should though

Just doing some Q&D glancing, I figure he'd be a definite upgrade for 21 teams. The nine that are arguable/not an upgrade are Baltimore, Boston, NYY, Cleveland, LAA, Oakland, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and San Diego. Of course, front offices can't exactly fire their managers at the same time to race for one guy - that would be madness.

Just doing some Q&D glancing, I figure he'd be a definite upgrade for 21 teams. The nine that are arguable/not an upgrade are Baltimore, Boston, NYY, Cleveland, LAA, Oakland, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and San Diego. Of course, front offices can't exactly fire their managers at the same time to race for one guy - that would be madness.

That's why you just do a under the table deal, then fire the manager. . .